Hi guys,

My eclectic musical ensemble Disconnected Souls has recently released our first music video for our track "Dissonant Whispers".
I'd describe this as being an atmospheric heavy ballad with some djenty guitar, electronics, orchestral and world influences.

Also available at:

https://open.spotify.com/track/2grwSgSFgT8J8ADJOTykM6

https://disconnectedsouls.bandcamp.com/album/dissonant-whispers

If you get chance to listen I hope you enjoy!

Comments/feedback/criticism always welcomed.

Best wishes,
Matthew

Edited by Matthew Simon Fletcher
  • Like 4

Interesting I like the use of dissonant chords in the intro, the throaty screaming? lyrics do not appeal so much, as Nigel notes the lead guitar could do with some clarity. Not sure if it is just me but I think the ladies intro vocal could do with a little lift in volume too.

All in all that track seems well composed and the mix is reasonable other than what I note above here on my Adams.  As ever this is all very subjective it is after all your track and it should sound how you and the band want it too.

• Like 1

Such a high quality video - where did you film it?

I think the song is great too; my only (personal taste) "criticism" is that the click of the kick drum could be dialled back a *lot*.  It dominates a lot of the rest of the rhythm in my opinion.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 10:33 AM, Bajan Blue said:

Hi Matthew

excellent track - really enjoyed it.

Only thing i would say the lead guitar could be up a little bit, otherwise a good mix

cool

Nigel

Thank you kindly for your feedback Nigel!

I'll keep the thoughts on lead guitar presence in mind  - I was trying to strike a balance between pressence and not wanting it to overpower other textural layers, but I think it possibly could be a little higher yes.

On 2/5/2023 at 11:23 AM, Wookiee said:

Interesting I like the use of dissonant chords in the intro, the throaty screaming? lyrics do not appeal so much, as Nigel notes the lead guitar could do with some clarity. Not sure if it is just me but I think the ladies intro vocal could do with a little lift in volume too.

All in all that track seems well composed and the mix is reasonable other than what I note above here on my Adams.  As ever this is all very subjective it is after all your track and it should sound how you and the band want it too.

Thanks for the feedback - I'm not much of a pianist but I like the chords that ended up coming about through layering in the intro.
I appreciate that the harsh vocals are an acquired taste and that's something we try and balance as we love our heavy music but also want to try and appeal to a wider audience.

On 2/5/2023 at 2:42 PM, KSband said:

Good job on this style of music. Agree the female vocal is way low in the beginning.

Thanks - I find it really hard to tell whether vocals are too quiet/loud and this is something that seems to be different between engineers in the approach they go for, much more so than other instruments. Will again keep this in mind for future tracks. In fact the one we've just been working on has had a lot of and back and forth with the engineer and band as to how to balance male / female / low / high sets of takes.

4 hours ago, Kevin Perry said:

Such a high quality video - where did you film it?

I think the song is great too; my only (personal taste) "criticism" is that the click of the kick drum could be dialled back a *lot*.  It dominates a lot of the rest of the rhythm in my opinion.

Thank you! I'm delighted with how it came together and big thanks go to the videographer, costume designer and band for pulling it together on the day.

Llandudno, North Wales.
The playthrough part was filmed on the Great Orme not far from the Rest and Be Thankful Cafe as there is just beautiful endless sea!
The theatrical part was on the West Shore.
I've spent a number of family holiday's there and had a feeling it would be perfect for our requirements.

Again thank you all for your kind and constructive remarks - both of which I really value :)

16 hours ago, Lynn Wilson said:

This is a delight!  The video is very professional and the song is dynamic.  I like the wide range of volume in this track, as it sounds less "canned", if you know what I mean.  I'm a big fan of Evanescence, so this style is right up my alley.  Best of luck to you all.

Thank you very much for your kind words! I really appreciate it.

Nicely done. I agree with the other comments about the voc being a bit too low. Didn't know what was going on in the story but I made up my own.

I once helped a guy make a movie in public areas. Mostly went okay except for the airplanes, the screaming kids and people wanting to know what we were up to. So I can imagine what it was like making your vid.

-Bjorn

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

Nicely done. I agree with the other comments about the voc being a bit too low. Didn't know what was going on in the story but I made up my own.

I once helped a guy make a movie in public areas. Mostly went okay except for the airplanes, the screaming kids and people wanting to know what we were up to. So I can imagine what it was like making your vid.

-Bjorn

Thanks buddy! Will definitely keep the vocal comments in mind with subsequent releases :)

We intentionally left the story to be quite open in the video as there wasn't a huge amount of timescale to explain it, especially with having some focus on the band also; we didn't want to be 100% theatrical performance or 100% band playthrough, so went with a hybrid approach.

The rough theme was that I/Patrick were a father/son who didn't get along for various reasons and he felt the call of the sea and a longing to leave his life behind. Except the call of the sea was three murderous sirens..

The song title is a reference to a spell in Dungeons and Dragons (which we all play regularly) and has a similar theme around hearing voices luring people to do things.

I was very worried about the presence of the general public! Particularly as I'm a bit of a social recluse. This was why I chose to do it on a Sunday out of season, in the hope that not too many people would be around. Unfortunately it was a beautiful day and there were loads! However people were very complimentary and we ended up with a lot of people taking photos and asking questions. We were eventually asked by a nice member of the council to move on from the area due to not having appropriate permissions, but fortunately at that point we'd mostly finished and he kindly gave us another 5 minutes :)

Best wishes,
Matthew