Sonitus reverb problem

Paul Bush

Hi chaps , it took me a long time to figure this out, during playback and or recording sometimes there´s no sound.... although the project still moves along  but I then noticed that just one of the channels all of which have sonitus reverb switched on looks as if its feed backing (the channel volume fader goes through the roof ) I then have to either turn off the reverb in that one channel or delete it , it happens quite often does anyone else expirience such a problem?  .....tis annoying but I just wanted to know if I´m not the only one with this quirk ..I sometimes think i´m going mad cheers Paul

Edited by Paul Bush

Do a Shift J to clear the meter peaks. While that reverb has some great sounds, it's a DX plug-in and goes totally goofy at times. One thing I've learn is NEVER change a setting while it's playing. It will glitch and melt down. Sometimes you can get away with it. But - Just don't.

I think this is what you are noticing. It won't get better. Just learn how to use it. I use it a lot.

Yeah, it's pretty reliable most of the time but I have noticed that if anything gets stuck in a state like this, it's usually this one with the bundled effects. I use it in nearly every project I do though, so the percentage of fails is extremely small for me, but you're right - it's definitely a real thing. 

I have seen this phenomenon. It was long ago, so the details are hazy, but it had to do with some interaction with another plugin that preceded the Sonitus effect in the same fx bin. Also had issues with the Sonitus Delay. Both would work fine on their own but went crazy in combination with other plugins. And both get cranky sometimes when you automate their controls or tempo changes. I doubt it has anything to do with being DX and more to do with just being neglected for 20 years.

My solution was to move away from the Sonitus effects, which is a shame because they all sound good and are easy to use. You might want to look into one of the many free or cheap reverbs that are out there, such as Voxengo's OldSkoolReverb,  SuperMassive from ValhallaDSP, or the TAL Reverb. Granted, all of these are someone limited one-trick ponies, but they sound fine and are free.

• Great Idea 2

Hi mark, this really does happen rather a lot  , as i said i have to delete the reverb from the offending channel to carry on recording- playing  .. i have many unusual glitches as they say ..how about this one ....I have to re-boot my pc when switching from cakewalk to youtube otherwise there is no sound and vise virsa  , I have demons in my pc , ......they´re there just to test me ....

Stick it on a bus and not every track, more stable on bus? I normally have a long verb and short Verb bus.  HOWEVER, If i want more control on a track, i use the REMATRIX which is on the pro channel and great for subtle Verb long or shot and wet and dry  (easy to use also). Never had a issue with it and great for automation but also great on  a a bus . i tend to use the Breverb for something fancy or the free AMBIENCE, but i only use the Sonitus on a bus

AMBIENCE  (more downloads than anything else so you know its ok) The Tal is also

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/2-Effects/17-Reverb/426-Ambience

7 hours ago, Paul Bush said:

this really does happen rather a lot  , as i said i have to delete the reverb from the offending channel to carry on recording- playing  ..

Any plugin that problematic I ditch and move on to something else.

7 hours ago, Paul Bush said:

have many unusual glitches as they say ..how about this one ....I have to re-boot my pc when switching from cakewalk to youtube otherwise there is no sound and vise virsa  ,

That's an easy one. In the preferences, check "suspend audio engine when Cakewalk is not in focus "

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kevin Perry said:

It means it's x86 not x64, so not ideal for reliability/stability.

I am not sure if all cakewalk stock are?  I have TSAR R1 Reverb plugin from softube, i think it was stock once that comes up on my pro channel chain when i go to add a module, if i add it, its crashes every time, so i have to add it to track or bus chain. There is always a issue somewhere 

image.thumb.png.13d4b2138591d344408fa9f4d871ad8b.png

On 2/9/2023 at 7:09 PM, Byron Dickens said:

Any plugin that problematic I ditch and move on to something else.

That's an easy one. In the preferences, check "suspend audio engine when Cakewalk is not in focus "

Cheers Byron , youve saved me a lot of head scratching and re-booting  ,

On 2/10/2023 at 12:56 PM, whoisp said:

I am not sure if all cakewalk stock are?  I have TSAR R1 Reverb plugin from softube, i think it was stock once that comes up on my pro channel chain when i go to add a module, if i add it, its crashes every time, so i have to add it to track or bus chain. There is always a issue somewhere 

i found a similar issue with the FET compressor -- works fine as VST but crashes in PC. based on the debug info it seems to be a UI sizing / ratio issue  -- the VST UI is ratio is differernt -- quite large and wide whereas a PC version of a UI (for other VST / PC plugin without an issue) the size may be different, but the ratio is the mostly same.  so, there may be an issue with resizing or there is no PC UI in the plugin -- or both...

Edited by fossile
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, fossile said:

i found a similar issue with the FET compressor -- works fine as VST but crashes in PC. based on the debug info it seems to be a UI sizing / ratio issue  -- the VST UI is ratio is differernt -- quite large and wide whereas a PC version of a UI (for other VST / PC plugin without an issue) the size may be different, but the ratio is the mostly same.  so, there may be an issue with resizing or there is no PC UI in the plugin -- or both...

Yes i think my new version updated the stock version and the UI is bigger so crashes. At least its a crash and i no the problem