BandLab buys beat marketplace Airbit

Esteban Villanova

1 hour ago, Philip G Hunt said:

tapping pads like Tourette patients playing a demented game of Hasbro Simon :D

That was a good one!!

1 hour ago, Philip G Hunt said:

I'll leave it up to you guys to decide whether I'm being sarcastic or not. :D 

Personally, I could care less if your sarcastic or not.  :)

Edited by Grem

3 hours ago, paulo said:

I hope for your sake that you're not because along with people who are cynical, "experts" have said that makes you more likely to die.

Wait. How can something make you more likely to die? Is there something that can make me less likely to die?

3 hours ago, Rain said:

I feel that those self-proclaimed producers could also benefit from a little self-mockery

Heh. There is surely no shortage of mockery from outside vectors.

Really, though, what else is someone who makes music on a computer using loops and beats and samples and whatnot going to call themselves in this day and age? Like it or not, "producer" seems to be the accepted (except by the grumpy old fart community) term for someone who does that. To the kids, I don't think it's a pretentious term, any more than drummer, singer, or guitar player. It's only those of us who associate it with George Martin and Gary Katz who think it's pretentious.

Is it just me or is there a freakin' tidal wave these days of young people who want to make music? I think it's awesome. Every Mac and the most popular telephone comes with a free DAW! On Windows, one of the most legendary full-featured DAW's is free for the downloading! We live in amazing times.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

Wait. How can something make you more likely to die? Is there something that can make me less likely to die?

Presumably being less cynical and sarcastic ?

TBH I missed off the word sooner, but that's ok because it's still a load of bollocks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rain said:

if the song is good...

agreed, but debatable in it's own right, same as it is for any art form, same as it ever was.  

the sticking point seems to be the level of effort/talent needed to come up with something listenable. kinda the same beef when synthesizers/midi were going to replace highly trained professional musicians. it's never been easier given the proliferation of loops and things like ez chords/keys/bass/whatever. and then there's the likes of the clash/***** pistols who made a point of taking a leak on a few ivory towers. 

instead of music being a divisive issue, enabling access to any form of creative activity is a plus. it's probably -the- defining aspect for how humans distinguish themselves from all other forms of life on this planet. and they will be creative with whatever means they have at their disposal. 

i think it's pretty awesome when something that was looked down on as "outsider" art ends up being able to connect people at a broader/less exclusive level. hiphop is a classic example. ya, it might have started out as some ghetto scene, but it's ability to transcend social barriers is a marvelous thing. still trips me out (in a good way) to see a pack of uber-privileged white kids shouting out ever syllable to the latest joint at a wedding reception despite the absurdity of it from an og perspective. 

fwiw, the majority of recent projects here started with loops in ableton/garageband/fl/etc, but aspiring artists with truly creative musical potential realize those limitations pretty quickly and put in the effort to make a difference. most of the tracking ends up being done with "real" instruments in real time as a group. i've found it helps to share what "good" sounds like, which is where the classics come in having withstood the test of time. and that's everything from Beethoven to Bob Dylan to Beck to (always be looking).  

32 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

We live in amazing times.

ya, and AI is gonna make all them producers look like Mozart.

maybe... 

human creativity has a sustained track record of transcending the limitations of whatever means we have at our disposal. it's what we do. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jackson white said:

the sticking point seems to be the level of effort/talent needed to come up with something listenable. kinda the same beef when synthesizers/midi were going to replace highly trained professional musicians.

Which was pretty stupid when you think about it. How did the naysayers think these synthesisers were going to get played?

24 minutes ago, jackson white said:

it's never been easier given the proliferation of loops and things like ez chords/keys/bass/whatever. 

None of these products write the music for you. Even with loops, it still takes work to mold them into something worthwhile.

Same with Band-in-a-Box; you still have to write the song and the more you put in to working with the tools, the better results you get.

• Like 1

You should have guessed by now that I'm an end-result guy.  If I like something, I like it!  Even if it was created by squirrels running over pads that are triggering an AI to create sounds. 😉

(That approach would probably still be far better than anything Kanye's attempted! 😂)

You would never guess that the average poster in the Coffee House is a middle-aged white man from reading the responses in this thread. :D

In the context of the OP a "beat" is usually a short musical idea including a bass line and melody. Here're a couple chaps that have YouTube channels for making beats in Cakewalk.

18 hours ago, Wibbles said:

You would never guess that the average poster in the Coffee House is a middle-aged white man from reading the responses in this thread. :D

I resent that implication. I have graduated to old age, as have... others on this forum.