MIR - RIP Paco Rabanne

53mph

News of the passing of Paco Rabanne reminded me that it was the eccentric designer who inspired this early track entitled MIR (now added to the Drunken Eyes EP).

https://53mph.bandcamp.com/track/mir-4

Back in 1999, the lyrics were inspired by Paco Rabanne and his predictions in Fire From Heaven that the Russian MIR space station would come crashing to earth, destroying Paris, based on his readings of Nostradamus. I ran with this image and went where it led me creating an apocalyptic chain of events.

I've got to pay my tributes to Paco for inspiring me (in ways he never intended).

The recording is what it is; this was done in the early days of 4 track demos. I recorded the drums with 2 mics in a rehearsal room in Archway, London, playing along to an acoustic guitar track booming out over the PA. There was a lot of bleed and timing issues. It's amazing I was able to get it to this state. But despite all the imperfections, I kind of love the energy of these early demos - back when I was unafraid to fail.

• Like 2

On 2/10/2023 at 1:33 AM, Lynn Wilson said:

Philip, I made a lot of recordings like this back in the day, though, mine weren't always as interesting as this song is.  It does have a lot of raw energy ( like a John Lennon demo), and that drew me in.   Not crits on the mix, but a big thumbs up for the song!

Thanks for the listen Lynn. It was quite weird that I had forgotten how I came to write the lyrics....until I read Paco's obituary....then it all came flooding back. Funny how memory works (or doesn't) ;) like that.

• 2 weeks later...