Recent concerts from "legacy" bands that impressed you....

hockeyjx

I went to a band called Spread Eagle last night that my old band had opened for in the early 90's. They had a very minor hit called "Switchblade Serenade".  They were frickin' AWESOME last night and I realized even though the music is a little "sleazy", the reason I liked them is because the music, especially the solos, are more sophisticated than the average bear.

But, I was really impressed by them 30 years later. Tight band with super-solid musicianship. 

Who have you seen in recent times that you were impressed still "had it"?

Newer: 

• Like 2

The Zombies. Yeh, those guys show their age on their faces, but they've still got chops. And it wasn't just a case of playing the same songs for 50 years and getting them down (see Doobie Brothers) because they included novel arrangements and extended jams. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

The Zombies. Yeh, those guys show their age on their faces, but they've still got chops. And it wasn't just a case of playing the same songs for 50 years and getting them down (see Doobie Brothers) because they included novel arrangements and extended jams. 

But, was she there? 😁

• Haha 1

Mötley Crüe. 

It was a negative impression, but an impression nonetheless. Not that I was expecting any different. Except Mick Mars. He was cool.

More seriously, The Cure in Montreal in 2008. They played for almost 3 hours. Robert Smith doesn't look like the healthiest person on earth but he really surpised me, especially when he put the guitar down for some songs and ran around on stage. 

I realize that 2008 is not that recent. But I'm old and I don't go out often. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Rain said:

Mötley Crüe. 

It was a negative impression, but an impression nonetheless. Not that I was expecting any different. Except Mick Mars. He was cool.

More seriously, The Cure in Montreal in 2008. They played for almost 3 hours. Robert Smith doesn't look like the healthiest person on earth but he really surpised me, especially when he put the guitar down for some songs and ran around on stage. 

I realize that 2008 is not that recent. But I'm old and I don't go out often. :P

LMAO!  Kind of like the "impression" a hammer makes on your face, right? 😆

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, craigb said:

LMAO!  Kind of like the "impression" a hammer makes on your face, right? 😆

Listening to Sixx and Lee's little speeches during the show, you get the impression that both of them have taken hammers to the head a few times. It would be safe to assume that their collective IQ barely adds up to the number at the bottom of their shoes.

Edited by Rain
  • Haha 1

Elton John. Saw him in Baton Rouge several years ago. Right before covid hit. Excellent show. He put on a rocking performance.  It was his original guitar player and drummer along with him.

Saw Stevie Nicks (Christmas present to my wife) at the Woodlands, north of Houston.  Ole girl can rock. I'll give her that. Waddy's playing wasn't impressive at all. But Carlos Rios was very impressive. Clean, clear, nice licks. Great guitarist. Bass player was really good too. But I couldn't find any info on him. Benmont Tench was great too!! Actually her whole band was excellent except Waddy. Side note: if you've never seen a Stevie Nicks concert you have no idea how much her fans REALLY LOVE her!!! LOL! It's just unbelievable!!

Saw Fleetwood Mac when Mike Campbell was with them. He really did well. He held true to the spirit of the songs, but definitely had his style on them. I did not miss Lindsey. So glad I was able to see Christina perform. Her voice I love!!

Saw Coheed and Cambria with my son a few years back. Man they f'n rocked!! Whole crowd was totally into it. Singing every word to every song!! And I was singing right along with 'em! Felt like I was 18 again!!

• Like 2

Just now, Grem said:

Yes he is. Seen them.several times back in the day. And one of the first things you realize is that!!

He is great guitar player as is James Young.

Never thought JY was all that special honestly, but Tommy has done other projects that shows off his talent. 

• Like 1

I ent seen live performances since 2019. And TBH there are legacy acts that I'd pay to see anymore. 

I would still pay to see John Hiatt, Marc Cohn and The Fab Faux. It's downhill fast on who I'd like to see live.

I've seen Magma 2019 and it was as impressive  as in the 80th.They had played for 90 minutes, not for 3,5 or 4 hours like in the 80th.

Warren Haynes / Gov't Mule are still a very good live band,  a very good drummer and  guitar player in the gig  in 2018.

Edited by Pragi