Softube Plugins as Much as 88% Off!

PavlovsCat

Softube plugins on sale for as much as 88% off at Plugin Boutique.  Fix Phaser, Tube Delay and Spring Reverb are each on sale for only $11 USD.

SEEKING PLUGIN ADVICE: 
I became a Softube fan a few years ago after a bunch of you posted how much you like their plugins, and your advice was excellent. Thanks. I've since bought several of their plugins and been completely happy with every one of them and they don't have an update plan! Imagine that?! Consequently, I'm eager to buy more when I see a sale like this with Fix Phaser, Tube Delay and Spring Reverb each on sale for only $11 USD, I could use advice on whether these effects are different/better than the ones included in Guitar Rig. I love spring reverbs -- especially to go after that 60s Motown sound of electric guitar. If anyone has one of the three effects on sale for $11 USD, especially if they can compare it to alternatives like Guitar Rig, I'd love to get your thoughts. There really isn't much risk in spending 11 bucks, but I just want to make sure that there's a good reason to use it over what I already own. 

https://www.pluginboutique.com/manufacturers/125-Softube?s=published

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Can't speak to the Softube offerings here, but $11 sounds hard to go wrong!

It's obviously a totally different level of cost, but I got the AKG BX-20 spring reverb from UAD a few years back, and that's something pretty special. I wouldn't get into the UAD eco-system purely to get it, but if/when they port it over to the UADx semi-native platform, it could be right up your alley.

• Like 1

So last night I realized that all of the Softube plugins on sale for $11 USD have demo versions and I did side-by-side comparisons with plugins of the same type I own from other developers. Here's my completely subjective thoughts after trying out the demos. I am definitely not an expert with effects and mixing, so you can take my opinions with a huge grain -- no, make that several grains -- of salt. If you're interested in any of these plugins, you should download and try them for yourself. But here are my thoughts, comparing the plugins to similar plugins I own: 

- Fix Phaser, Tube Delay and Spring Reverb  are all very, very good plugins and a fantastic deal for the sale price. However, I didn't find Tube Delay was compelling enough to win me over when compared to the plugins I already own, largely because I don't think I would give it much use. I'm not totally sure about Fix Phaser --- I really like it and was comparing it largely to NI's Phasis. While I like the sound of Fix Phaser's presets over those of Phasis, I really don't think I would use the effect very much, so even at the current low sale price, I'm going to hold off on buying Fix Phaser. 

- The one effect I feel I will get a lot of use out of and am going to buy is Softube's Spring Reverb. I tried it with Orange Tree Samples Evolution Jazz Archtop Electric Guitar and it had a different character than the spring reverb in Guitar Rig -- cleaner -- and I really liked it a lot. While spring reverbs naturally sound retro, there is something about Softube's Spring Reverb that sounds retro, but updated  -- especially when used in moderation. However, what really sold me was when I tried the Spring Reverb on my Wurli 145B sample library from Skybox Audio . That was it. The perfect combination, IMO. If you are a Wurli fan, you really should try the demo of Spring Reverb on your Wurli. It's a 10/10.  Plus, $11 USD for very high quality plugins and no such thing as a Softube Update Plan???? Sign me up! 

If you're even mildly interested in these plugins, I would strongly recommend going to Softube's site and trying the demos out for yourself, but make your purchase at Plugin Boutique's site.  While Softube has their Spring Verb on sale for $11USD at their website, the same price as Plugin Boutique (for that plugin, the other two on sale at PIB are not on sale at Softube's site), if you buy from Plugin Boutique, you'll get Cableguy's Soundshaper 3 as a free gift. Based on the posts I've seen about that plugin and a Sound on Sound review, it's well worth picking up. In fact,  I'd say that it's a crazy good deal. 

https://www.softube.com/sr

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 2

7 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I really like it and was comparing it largely to NI's Phasis. While I like the sound of Fix Phaser's presets over those of Phasis

Another thing that should be considered is CPU usage! The newer NI plugins like Phasis, Raum, Flair, ... are quite CPU hungry, whereas Softube plugins (at least the 8 ones I have) are light on CPU!

Edited by marled
  • Like 1

79yj9d.jpg

Atlantis and some of the amp sims are the only Softube stuff I don't own.  

The Fix Phaser is a good deal.  And some you should note that they (like the phaser) work within Modular and Amp Room, if that matters to you.  Hail Paul Wolff and all that.  But some of these, you may want to pass on if you plan on getting one of their volumes that include stuff.  

I only find myself using the TubeDelay and SpringReverb within Modular.  

Edited by e-cue
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Got that Spring Reverb after all.
It’s also $11 at Softube. 

Already had the Tube Delay, Drawmer S73 and the Tsar-1R reverb. Gewd stouph. 

Not getting the phaser as I still have to get to grips with the Eventide one. Same reason I didn’t get the Clearmountain phaser/flanger from Apogee. I’m sure they’ll be fine, but I’ve got limited use for phasers and flangers. Eventide (and d16) will have to suffice. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fleer said:

Got that Spring Reverb after all.
It’s also $11 at Softube. 

Already had the Tube Delay, Drawmer S73 and the Tsar-1R reverb. Gewd stouph. 

Not getting the phaser as I still have to get to grips with the Eventide one. Same reason I didn’t get the Clearmountain phaser/flanger from Apogee. I’m sure they’ll be fine, but I’ve got limited use for phasers and flangers. Eventide (and d16) will have to suffice. 

I only own Eventide Quadravox, EQuivocate and UltraChannel, but I've only used Quadravox. I know I got Quadravox for free and I'm pretty confident that I got the other two free or very cheap. But I actually have never used EQuivocate and UltraChannel. I've seen a lot of positive posts about Eventide. What Eventide plugins would you recommend I check into (I think you're already aware, but I mainly do rock music, but I also do piano music, as it's my first instrument)?   

• Like 1

After I bought Spring Reverb at Plugin Boutique (in order to get SoundShaper 3 as a freebie), I realized that I bought and completely forgot to install Trackspacer after a bunch of folks here recommended it! I now own Softube Dirty tape, FET Compressor, Saturation Knob, Spring Reverb, Tape and Transient Shaper (I own maybe 5 different transient shapers and I usually try all of them on drum tracks and always end up using the Softube one)  and am very happy with every purchase, especially when I get a deal like this one. Count me as a Softube fan. I started with Tape several years ago but never bought anything else from them until a bunch of folks here started posting about how good their various effects are.  I'm always open to checking into other devs people are impressed with. This forum has been extremely valuable for me in navigating effects developers. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I only own Eventide Quadravox, EQuivocate and UltraChannel, but I've only used Quadravox. I know I got Quadravox for free and I'm pretty confident that I got the other two free or very cheap. But I actually have never used EQuivocate and UltraChannel. I've seen a lot of positive posts about Eventide. What Eventide plugins would you recommend I check into (I think you're already aware, but I mainly do rock music, but I also do piano music, as it's my first instrument)?   

Maybe the H9 series and Physion Mk2. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PavlovsCat said:

After I bought Spring Reverb at Plugin Boutique (in order to get SoundShaper 3 as a freebie), I realized that I bought and completely forgot to install Trackspacer after a bunch of folks here recommended it! I now own Softube Dirty tape, FET Compressor, Saturation Knob, Spring Reverb, Tape and Transient Shaper (I own maybe 5 different transient shapers and I usually try all of them on drum tracks and always end up using the Softube one)  and am very happy with every purchase, especially when I get a deal like this one. Count me as a Softube fan. I started with Tape several years ago but never bought anything else from them until a bunch of folks here started posting about how good their various effects are.  I'm always open to checking into other devs people are impressed with. This forum has been extremely valuable for me in navigating effects developers. 

FabFilter or die!

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

The Newfangled Audio stuff (you mentioned Equivocate) gets a lot of use here. Saturate is my clipper of choice for tonal material, Elevate finds its way on my master more and more, Punctuate is great on some material and will fail on other and I'm just trying out Invigorate which I am growing very fond of. It has to go a bit higher in my TOMA, because now I tend to use it too much towards the end and the effect can be a bit much at that point. But still, at very low mix settings it adds a great edge.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, abacab said:

Not to make waves here, but Softube requires the iLok e-licenser. Not  a problem for me, but just thought to mention it for those that have an issue with iLok.

I think that's a good point. Now that iLok doesn't require a physical dongle, it's not a dealbreaker for me, but I realize it is for some people. I completely forgot Softube uses iLok when I made the OP. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

I think that's a good point. Now that iLok doesn't require a physical dongle, it's not a dealbreaker for me, but I realize it is for some people. I completely forgot Softube uses iLok when I made the OP. 

Yeah, their installer makes it so seamless that I didn't even realize it was adding it to my iLok cloud.

FYI, I find the Tube Delay excellent sounding when you automate the Delay Time and Feedback. Feels and sounds exactly like I would expect it to.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

Anything time related from them are amazing, reverbs, delays and even their flangers and phasers are top notch. I rate some of their stuff among the best of the best. Blackhole can get pretty epic and unique, SP2016 can seem so transparent until you take it off and see how much it was adding to make whatever shine 🙂

I LOVE the H3000 Factory too.. you can go as deep and technical as you want, but there's plenty of presets and you can always tweak them slightly to taste.

They have heaps more to call out really!

Back on Softube, I actually quite like the Tube Delay. I had held off buying any more from them until the next volume was released, but that's taken waaaaay longer than I expected...

I need to check if I have that reverb already, but I like it can be used in modular.

• Thanks 1