Cakewalk File bloat makes multiple copies of source files

Karmic Beats

Question

Cakewalk makes multiple copies of source files and stores them in its project directory "Audio"

They all have filenames like sourcename(6).  It is making multiple copies of source files and deleting  most of them.   I am still left with 3.28 GB in copies of 2.20 GB source files.  Why the need to make copies of source files and why so many that they are more space than the originals?

5 answers to this question

you don't need to but if you're trying to store a clean copy with only the files remaining in the project - i would simply make a copy (save-as w/ copy audio files enabled) into another directory so it's only the related project files. note: i also bounce each track clips to a single clip so all my edits are a single file before copying it - but if you don't bounce them first, i would not check (or i would uncheck) the create one file per clip unless you want more files 🙂 

image.png.6f9ff9c8adb6d8e4bac0b5cf41fe763b.png

this makes a new project + dir = 17 WAV files versus 66 WAV files in the original audio folder. then i can archive it to my local backup disks and my cloud service.

Edited by fossile

When you make edits or copies of clips (also splitting a clip will make a copy),  copies are made of the waveform files to support the undo process.

Once you undo, most of the files should be deleted. Some commands however, such as freeze will keep the files to support the "quick freeze" process.

You can delete any unused files by choosing "Clean Audio Folder".  Be really careful with this command though, as once those files are gone, they're gone. 

Avoid searching any directory other than the current project directory. Also, do not use this method if you use Cakewalk project versioning / auto save, or you save copies of your project in the same folder, as it can only find files that it knows aren't part of the current project - it has no idea what files the other projects might be referencing.

So check the files before you delete them.  In the example below, I know the project is MIDI only for the time being, so any audio was either a bounce/freeze or possibly some temporary guitar recordings.

CleanAudioFolder.gif

• Like 1

18 hours ago, msmcleod said:

You can delete any unused files by choosing "Clean Audio Folder".  Be really careful with this command though, as once those files are gone, they're gone. 

that's one of the reasons i use the copy as to another project (appended with ARCHIVE) so i know only the files i want to save are there and i don't screw up (again :facepalm: ) by trying to figure out which files are which ...

• Great Idea 1