IK T-RackS Mic Room 80% off - $9.99 USD (reg. $49.99)

PavlovsCat

IK Multimedia T-RackS Mic Room  80% off - $9.99 USD (reg. $49.99) - until February 15.
(WAProduction Imprint transient shaper plugin is free with any purchase.)
https://www.audiodeluxe.com/products/audio-plugins/ik-multimedia-t-racks-mic-room

I could use some advice on this plugin, as I'm interested in buying. Does anyone reading this own in it and would you recommend it? 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

I like playing around with this plugin. Most of the mics I have aren't on the list (and I wish they'd add more) but I find it interesting as an effect by choosing random-ish mics and switching out the sound. If I didn't have it in T-RackS Max, I'd buy it at this price.

Edited by Luc
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

i have it but have never really used it. this would be a great thing to get at this price if they had a group buy going on.

Some people probably buy cheap licences and store them up hoping for another Group Buy!
Not that I'm interested myself. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Technostica said:

Some people probably buy cheap licences and store them up hoping for another Group Buy!
Not that I'm interested myself. 

Yeah, but with a retail price of $50 you have to basically be new to the game otherwise there isn't much at that buy in tier.  Would be different if it was a $100+ plugin

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Luc said:

I like playing around with this plugin. Most of the mics I have aren't on the list (and I wish they'd add more) but I find it interesting as an effect by choosing random-ish mics and switching out the sound. If I didn't have it in T-RackS Max, I'd buy it at this price.

That's my experience and I rarely use it (I have Slate and AA's lava which I use more); but for a ten spot it's worth it.  I'd definitely give the demo a spin.

2 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Yeah, but with a retail price of $50 you have to basically be new to the game otherwise there isn't much at that buy in tier.  Would be different if it was a $100+ plugin

With the group buy I bought into, the free or cheap $50 licenses were helpful in picking up sample libraries. But very much second tier of course.

1 hour ago, Technostica said:

With the group buy I bought into, the free or cheap $50 licenses were helpful in picking up sample libraries. But very much second tier of course.

the only thing i may hesitate here is that i am seeing rumors online that  a new TRacks may come out. In which case I would be worried whether an old TRacks item code will quality for a future group buy, if it were to happen. No idea of really knowing.

Edited by telecode 101

6 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

the only thing i may hesitate here is that i am seeing rumors online that  a new TRacks may come out. In which case I would be worried whether an old TRacks item code will quality for a future group buy, if it were to happen. No idea of really knowing.

Don't know but lots of the rack units are quite old.  If they do update the host platform that would be expected (and perhpas some gui tweaks to go along with it), but it seems to be the individual units have been consistant for a long time.

New modules would certainly be above the $50 level unless we get lucky with a change of pace.  More recently releases have been all above $100, so it isn't like you would pick up new tools.

When Syntronic 2, old Synthronic 1 codes works for a buy in from what I remember.  (they just couldn't be give away codes).

37 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

When Syntronic 2, old Synthronic 1 codes works for a buy in from what I remember.  (they just couldn't be give away codes).

I was given a version 1 code to use in the GB and it gave me access to all of the synths as it was such a massive giveaway.
I assumed it was a freebie as I was given it without asking or even wanting it.
I'm done with IKM now and didn't even bother downloading any of them.

13 minutes ago, Technostica said:

I was given a version 1 code to use in the GB and it gave me access to all of the synths as it was such a massive giveaway.
I assumed it was a freebie as I was given it without asking or even wanting it.
I'm done with IKM now and didn't even bother downloading any of them.

I tried a free one and it didn't work, so I ended up doing the buy in just to have them.  I'm pretty sure the download was nearly 300GB, which I certainly don't have room for - and haven't used any of them either.

Sadly if you don't download them within the period stated you will have to pay to download them at some future state if you do choose to use them.

8 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

I tried a free one and it didn't work, so I ended up doing the buy in just to have them.  I'm pretty sure the download was nearly 300GB, which I certainly don't have room for - and haven't used any of them either.

Sadly if you don't download them within the period stated you will have to pay to download them at some future state if you do choose to use them.

Yep, IK's infamous charging of customers if they don't download sample libraries within several months of a purchase. I'd put it up there as bad -- although not as bad -- customer disloyalty practices as Toontrack forcing Superior Drummer 2.0 customers to upgrade within Toontrack's timeline or forever be excluded from receiving upgrade pricing again.  Other than that really bad policy, I like IK. I love Toontrack products, but I find that past decision incredibly customer disloyal and after years, they still haven't changed course and you can find ToonTrack customers -- not just me -- still posting about it years later.  I own the much less expensive ezDrummer and they never tried the same tactic for that as their flagship product. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

customer disloyalty practices as Toontrack forcing Superior Drummer 2.0 customers to upgrade within Toontrack's timeline or forever be excluded from receiving upgrade pricing again

I'm slightly surprised (though not that surprised) you didn't mention the more recent announcement from Waves and registering serials.

5 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

I own the much less expensive ezDrummer and they never tried the same tactic for that as their flagship product. 

I'm not sure it was a sales tactic. It was around that time that they switched from DVD-only-distribution to an online download platform; possibly there was a technical reason behind it.

19 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Yep, IK's infamous charging of customers if they don't download sample libraries within several months of a purchase. I'd put it up there as bad -- although not as bad -- customer disloyalty practices as Toontrack forcing Superior Drummer 2.0 customers to upgrade within Toontrack's timeline or forever be excluded from receiving upgrade pricing again.  Other than that really bad policy, I like IK. I love Toontrack products, but I find that past decision incredibly customer disloyal and after years, they still haven't changed course and you can find ToonTrack customers -- not just me -- still posting about it years later.  I own the much less expensive ezDrummer and they never tried the same tactic for that as their flagship product. 

I sold my many hundreds of dollars worth of Toontrack due to that nonsense.  They'll never have me as a customer again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Walton said:

I know and have no intention of ever downloading them. I did think about it which is why I registered and claimed the freebies. But when I thought about it, I knew they weren't worth the hassle or drive space.

2 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

Agreed.  I have Superior Drummer 2 and didn't even bother to install in on new computer builds and complained that the upgrade pricing was not only limited time but multiple times more expensive than I paid for v2 in the first place.   (I have ezDrummer 1 also)

I like the IKM group buy but think the pricing is out of line with reality otherwise - they also need to work on CPU efficiency.  Something like AT5, Mixbox, Tape, etc are massive resource hogs.  That said, I have the vast majority of what they made and I like a good chunk of it.   ToneX is a special product, sounds great and pretty good on the resources interface and searching could use quite a bit of work but the core of the product is unique.

2 hours ago, antler said:

I'm slightly surprised (though not that surprised) you didn't mention the more recent announcement from Waves and registering serials.

I'm not sure it was a sales tactic. It was around that time that they switched from DVD-only-distribution to an online download platform; possibly there was a technical reason behind it.

Well, I wasn't making an exhaustive list of bad customer disloyalty practice by brands, just the IK one people were discussing and another really notable bad disloyalty decision by another company (Toontrack). Toontrack's decision certainly was a product marketing/sales strategy. The company attempted to push customers into buying within their timeframe or threatened their customers they would never offer them upgrade pricing for the product (Superior Drummer) again. That strategy has nothing to do with distribution channels or the form of distribution (physical product vs download). My guess is that their to marketing or sales manager was trying to bring in revenue in the short term -- perhaps they had to keep the lights on and pay salaries and thought this high pressure tactic would result in generating revenue very quickly. That's what I suspect. Otherwise, even most small brands would never engage in that kind of tactic -- it's too alienating to the customer base and unhappy customers are sure to tell other customers -- as has been the case. Again, look at ezDrummer. Toontrack never engaged in a similar tactic. It's in the realm of bad marketing strategy and bad customer loyalty. A company completely controls these policies/practices. Toontrack could have reversed course on that decision at any point, but they haven't. My guess is, if their top marketing officer is looking to boost revenue when they introduce SD4, they'll re-introduce upgrade pricing OR if they hire a new head of marketing, it's an easy win to reverse that decision and promote it, if there's a significant amount of former customers who stopped buying SD upgrades since SD3 came out. It's an easy target marketing campaign (you target the SD2 buyers that never upgraded; it's a campaign they could even do tomorrow if they wanted). 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, antler said:

Let's not forget Izotope's loyalty offers that cry meh.

19 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Let's not forget Izotope's loyalty offers that cry meh.

Yeah... to be fair though, upgrade offers can go pretty low if you wait for the right time and shop at the right place. They're also fairly generous with their upgrade grace periods. They're just not that great if you look at the loyalty coupons when logged in - they even offer to sell me upgrades to products I already have. 🤪

I'm just thankful their DSP coding is better than their loyalty sales detection algorithms.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2