Panning plugins not working in Cakewalk

Karmic Beats

Question

I have tried Pancake 2, DearVR Micro and Panagement 2 and I could not get any of them to work.  They all work in LMMS.    I have a mono audio file.  I drop it into Cakewalk as a mono track and I put the panning plugins in the FX chain.  This is the same as I do in LMMS and it works there.  In Cakewalk no panning occurs.  The mono track is sent to both stereo channels equally.  If I use the pan control on the track I can pan it left or right.  However I cannot use a plugin to auto pan it.

Is thee any way to use these plugins in Cakewalk?  

10 answers to this question

I have plugins that automate panning and that can even do 3D panning.  They work in LMMS but not in Cakewalk.  I cannot do the project in LMMS because the wav files are bigger than their 300MB limit.  I cannot do the project in Cakewalk as it does not allow for plugins to automate panning.  I cannot do it in Audacity as that only allows proprietary plugins and a few regular VST plugins but not the ones I am using. 

I am at a loss every road has been a dead end. 

4 hours ago, Promidi said:

Change the track interleave to stereo.

This is the answer. Autopanners work fine in Cakewalk, including PanCake, which I've been using for years.

Panners (and many other effects) are by nature stereo effects, even if the source is mono. You're literally turning a mono track into stereo whenever you use any stereo effect.

Note that it can work the other way, too. A mono effect (e.g. an amp sim) on a stereo source will switch it to mono. This trips up a lot of users.

7 hours ago, msmcleod said:

^^^^
This.
image.png.726d6cd0c46bae1c5e41671a697318d1.png
Thanks that picture helped.  I did have a small amount of difficulty finding it as you have to change the dropdown list to "all" to see all the track controls.  That did work and was easier than what I did.  After looking up how to make a duplicate of a mono track and then make the two a single stereo track in Cakewalk, I decided that learning what bounces are and using all kinds of busses and following long complicated instructions to do it, was way to much.  So I went back to audacity and duplicated the mono track and made it stereo track.  Then I was able to get panning plugins to work.  Thank you for this advice it will make it much simpler in the future. 

20 minutes ago, Karmic Beats said:

I did have a small amount of difficulty finding it as you have to change the dropdown list to "all" to see all the track controls.  [emphasis added]

Yeah, the Track Control [Widget] Dropdown Menu / Manager is a really handy / powerful workflow tool.  Someone should do a short, concise, accurate 1-2 min. tutorial on it.  Some people don't know about it and some people don't use it enough to remember to check it.  

http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Arranging.20.html

IIRC we can even save custom track control configurations in custom / customized Workspaces. 

Yup; just confirmed this by swapping some custom Workspaces.  For example, the track controls shown for my "LISTEN + Transport" Workspace are different than for my my "Staff Entry" Workspace.  

Edited by User 905133
to add confirmation track controls displayed and personal Workspaces

2 hours ago, Karmic Beats said:

After looking up how to make a duplicate of a mono track and then make the two a single stereo track in Cakewalk, I decided that learning what bounces are and using all kinds of busses and following long complicated instructions to do it, was way to much.  So I went back to audacity and duplicated the mono track and made it stereo track.  Then I was able to get panning plugins to work.  Thank you for this advice it will make it much simpler in the future. 

If you want to make a mono clip into a stereo one, just right click on the clip and pick "Convert to Stereo".   I'd have recommended this in your other thread, however the question in the other thread was how to combine two mono clips into a stereo one (and I assumed the two mono clips were actually different).

image.png.3108c8fcc07766526f48453e1aebdcdb.png