Not a deal: All Waves serial numbers must be registered by March 26, 2023

Frank

34 minutes ago, satya said:

I checked the authorisation code is different and registration code is different 

So my understanding is the following:

You only need to register the License in your account.  Activation of the plugin is not affected.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, satya said:

I checked the authorisation code is different and registration code is different 

I was talking about the code that you get from a reseller. I don’t have an authorisation code in my account, just the serial number which is the same as the code from the reseller. 

3 hours ago, abacab said:

Hope you didn't pay full price for that thing ($449)!

I see that it sold for as low as $30.99 last September. https://musicsoftwaredeals.com/price-history/bx_console-amek-9099-by-brainworx/

I paid $50 for it which was a few months before it hit $30.  Up until I got it for $50 they basically were not letting it go under $100.  It was $125 and I had a $75 voucher.  Now it has seen a few $30ish sales.  And I even grabbed it for an extra set of seats for more computers.

• Like 1

I dunno, after reading the newsletter my first thought was maybe they are getting ready to get rid of wup?? I agree with boxed how is that even legal to render your purchased serial useless but if their going to make a reasonable change in the licensing system then that would be a positive, no?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, chris.r said:

I dunno, after reading the newsletter my first thought was maybe they are getting ready to get rid of wup?? I agree with boxed how is that even legal to render your purchased serial useless but if their going to make a reasonable change in the licensing system then that would be a positive, no?

I was thinking (or hoping) along similar lines. 

Pretty sure it's not Legal what Waves wants to do.

How is it Legal to change the policy -AFTER- the customers did their purchases?
Folks have bought (multiple) licenses through the years for different purposes, like WUP or Extra PC's, or to work with friends/musicians for future projects or whatever reason they had. Waves also gave licenses away with paid (audio)magazines in the past. So one way or another, the customer have paid for it.

I was not aware of this when I purchased their licenses or even participated in their own (Black Friday) giveaways. 
It was nowhere indicated that it had to be registered before March 26 2023 when i purchased and recieved the licenses. 
They changed their policy > AFTERWARDS < wich is a very scammy thing to do if we lose our past purchased licenses. 

It would be a different story if Waves has said:
''Hi, we changed our policy, and licenses that are bought >AFTER< March 26, 2023 should be redeemed within 14 days of purchase from now on.
All licenses that are purchased >BEFORE< 26 March 2023 will not be affected by our new policy.''

As it looks, this new policy is effecting >PAST< sales, wich feels unfair to me since we were not aware of it on date of purchase.
Alot of people will probably not even know this on time also, and they will be screwed by losing their licenses. 

If this is really happening, i would never buy or even touch Waves products again. 
I will simply not support companies who change their ''policy'' afterwards when they collected their money and decided to screw their customers.

Edited by Martin H.
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Indeed, still have some serials for bundles like the Abbey Riad Collection and Pianos & Keys. I was going to use them when a new MacOS would force me to (as I don’t WUP). 
So now this. 
It’s illegal in the US and Europe, but I wonder whether it’s illegal in Israel where they’re based. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fleer said:

It’s illegal in the US and Europe, but I wonder whether it’s illegal in Israel where they’re based. 

If they have official distributors in the US and Europe, wouldn't that make them subject to the laws of the land that they made the sales in?

Just think about the US multinational businesses that market their products globally. Can they get away with scoffing at sovereign laws overseas? I would guess not...

1 hour ago, abacab said:

If they have official distributors in the US and Europe, wouldn't that make them subject to the laws of the land that they made the sales in?

Just think about the US multinational businesses that market their products globally. Can they get away with scoffing at sovereign laws overseas? I would guess not...

Indeed!

• Like 1

Companies taking totally illegal actions to see if they can get away with it is nothing rare. Then if they get sued they can backtrack, but they are counting on the fact that bringing a lawsuit is a pain in the rear, and people won't do it for small gains (small claims courts exist to make these lawsuits simpler but they are still a chore). Sometimes companies get punished through punitive damages and/or class action lawsuits, although often the ones making big money in these lawsuits are the lawyers and not the consumers. If it can be shown in court that they did know that their actions were illegal but they still went ahead (e.g., they were receiving emails warning them of the illegality of their action but they still proceeded with it) there would probably be bigger damages.

On 2/3/2023 at 4:17 AM, Fleer said:

Well, I’ve been keeping several serials of the same plug-in to register when needed so I don’t have to WUP them. 
This latest move from Waves, apart from being less than legal, is the final nail on their coffin. 
WOOOOOOPIEEEEEEE. Bye-bye, Waves. 

This is a case where I finished ahead of the Mighty Fleer. 👍

When I replaced my desktop with a laptop before I moved, I did NOT install any of my many Waves plugins. The primary reason was the cost of WUP. The secondary reason with the proliferation of Waves shells (you get a new one each time you install a new Waves plugins, so you have multiple shells for the same general Waves version). Plus, some plugin scanners had trouble scanning the shells. And then came the proliferation of new versions, trying to force you to WUP your existing plugins to stay compatible with the most recent version.

I have been Waves WUP free for over two years now. Many of their plugins are actually quite good, but I don't miss them.

I have survived four divorces: three wives and one plugin developer.

EDIT: Oops. Make that five divorces: three wives and two plugin developers. I forgot about Slate.

Edited by John Maar
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

There is nothing to find about this on the Waves website, or in their FAQ or Terms and Conditions.

There is also no mention by Waves Dealers that customers must register Waves plugins before March 23, 2023.

There is only this email from Waves they sended to those who are subscribed to their newsletter.

I did not recieved this newsletter, since i was not subscribed. 

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add to the last message I see here: 

I see nothing at all on the waves website.

I received an email about this but the From address and the link in the email are at a different website, NOT the official waves website.  There is no way I'd click that link.

I also have no idea where to even find serial numbers. I checked Waves Central and I don't see them. I went to the website and I see 2 different numbers for each product, but it doesn't tell me what they are. 

And there is nothing at all in there after I log in telling me that I need to do anything. If this was real I would expect to get that message as soon as I logged in and probably at the top of a few pages in their site.

And lastly, it doesn't say what will happen if we DON'T do this. Will all plugins stop working? No idea. So at this point I don't really know this is real.