Not a deal: All Waves serial numbers must be registered by March 26, 2023

Frank

All Waves serial numbers must
be registered by March 26, 2023 

Hi , 

Due to an upcoming change in our authorization & registration systems, Monday, March 26, 2023 will be the last day to register product serial codes that have not yet been registered. 

This includes: 

•Plugins, bundles, upgrades, and hardware/software combos purchased via Waves dealers but not yet registered.

•Free products given during special promotions.

•Any other case where you may have received a Waves product serial code but didn’t yet register it.

Waves serial numbers cannot be registered after March 26, 2023.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Frank said:

Due to an upcoming change in our authorization & registration systems

That phrase doesn't fill me with confidence. Wonder what complications are going to await us.
Probably trying to fix leakage... I.E. serial #'s that got out, were hacked, etc.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

That phrase doesn't fill me with confidence. Wonder what complications are going to await us.
Probably trying to fix leakage... I.E. serial #'s that got out, were hacked, etc.

• Once you register it the WUP thing starts - they know there is a good percentage of people they will trap into a WUP payment once registered.  
  • It cuts down on resale of serial numbers - once registered there is basically no chance of you reselling that code as it becomes worthless between wup and transfer fees
  • They may not be actually changing anything other than putting in that line in the sand on the back end with serials that were previously sent out.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, abacab said:

I imagine there are many people that have been collecting serials from their freebie giveaways for resale later. This is probably Waves attempt to stop that "gray" market.

That's what I suspect is at least part of their logic, but this is a really poor tactic to address that problem,  IMO.

I'm in complete agreement with attempts to crack down on individuals who scam the system by use of multiple free email accounts to grab free serials during giveaways in order to sell them later. But they could address that problem a lot better without negatively impacting legit folks like someone who had Waves pluguns bundled with some hardware device or DAW. 

As this thread reveals,  it doesn't send a great message to their customers. WUP has already led to me rarely buying Waves plugins anymore. On the upside,  Waves has had a major impact on lowering effects pricing in the industry. So thanks for that Waves. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

Well, I’ve been keeping several serials of the same plug-in to register when needed so I don’t have to WUP them. 
This latest move from Waves, apart from being less than legal, is the final nail on their coffin. 
WOOOOOOPIEEEEEEE. Bye-bye, Waves. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Well, I’ve been keeping several serials of the same plug-in to register when needed so I don’t have to WUP them. 
This latest move from Waves, apart from being less than legal, is the final nail on their coffin. 
WOOOOOOPIEEEEEEE. Bye-bye, Waves. 

Let February 2, 2023 be known as the day Fleer fell out of sweet, wonderful, blissful love with Waves.  I knew it couldn't last! ;)

I pretty much stopped buying Waves last year after purchasing Cosmos/CR8 and using it once. I think the only way they could get me again is maybe for a few Abbey Road plugins (I love the ADT plugin, IMO, nothing I have comes close and I have 4 other double tracking plugins). What has made the Waves $29/39 always on sales less attractive to me is that competitors like Softube and Plugin Alliance also sell excellent plugins without an Update Plan and the Waves marketing that goes along with it.  A bunch of you guys, including Abacab and Fleer, have posted praise of plugins from developers like Softube and the ones at Plugin Alliance that I've researched, purchased and am now a fan of (still waiting on Fab Filter to have a $29/39 sale -- kidding, I realize that's never going to happen). But I feel like I've moved on from Waves. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

But I feel like I've moved on from Waves. 

Aside from my Waves Abbey Road Collection and Scheps Omni Channel, I could probably live without Waves. I like Cosmos/CR8 but I don't do all that much with loops & samples, so probably wouldn't miss that if it ever stopped working. ;)

But honestly, the Waves tool that I reach for most often is Scheps Omni Channel. That is handy to have in the toolbox...

Edited by abacab
  • Like 4

58 minutes ago, abacab said:

Aside from my Waves Abbey Road Collection and Scheps Omni Channel, I could probably live without Waves. I like Cosmos/CR8 but I don't do all that much with loops & samples, so probably wouldn't miss that if it ever stopped working. ;)

But honestly, the Waves tool that I reach for most often is Scheps Omni Channel. That is handy to have in the toolbox...

I thought the same about Omni but switched to Amek 9099 and haven't looked back.

the one Waves plugin I'm keeping installed is Clarity Vx.  

I liked the Abbey Road verb but a bit to hungry and stuff like IKM Sunset Sound replaced that kind of need for me (though yes they sound different)

• Like 1

Every once in awhile, I miss some Waves plugin that I used to use. TransX and RBass were once favorites. But they'd routinely stop working because Waves would abruptly decide that my license was no longer valid (e.g. after computer repairs), and the last time that happened I just decided I didn't need Waves anymore. They are more concerned with piracy than with their paying customers. Sorry, but that teenage pirate who wasn't ever going to give you any money anyway isn't my problem.

• Like 6