Solo Vocal instruments for Male/Female ( not a deal )

aidan o driscoll

I add this here as its a request so I can be on the look out for deals or otherwise on decent solo vocal instrument / plugins to use in MODERN tracks vs say a choral track or a soundtrack. For a usage such as non verbal backing tracks.

I think 8DIO sort of tried thsi with The Forgotten Voices series like Cait, but the control features in this were not great in my view. And no real AHs, Ooohs etc, more set phrases not very editable.

Hope my description is understandable :D .. in a nutshell, rather than me recording AHH and layering it .. would be great if there was a solution with less choral but more contemporary vocal sounds 

Edited by aidan o driscoll
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Vernon Barnes said:

Look at Realivox "The Ladies" 

https://realitone.com/products/realivox-ladies

Or "Blue,"

https://realitone.com/products/realivoxblue

There is also EastWest Hollywood Backup Singers.

Thanks @Vernon Barnes  .. I bought BLUE a long while back and currently cannot get it to open in Kontakt 5, 6 or 7 .. hangs. I emailed them earlier to get a solution. Might be a version issue and I need to upgrade.

I did think this instrument may solve part of my request BUT it is FEMALE, dont think MALE singer is in this?

Re EastWest Hollywood Backup Singers ... FEMALE only? Notice it is on sale at the mo for $149

1 hour ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Thanks guys,

Have to say the closest i have come to what I was envisioning is this:

https://emvoiceapp.com

Installs as a VST, draws down the samples from cloud into a Melodyne type UI

I've done a video on this.  You can download a free demo from the site.  It has a limited number of notes but otherwise is fully functional.  It's enough to decide if it's for you.

• Like 1

If you're looking for a more pop background vocal  (not solo), you should consider Orchestral Tools LA Sessions.  It has the usual ohs, uhs, ahs, ehs, and some nice swells and scoops.  I prefer it to the Eastwest library.   I love the sound.

https://www.orchestraltools.com/store/collections/la-sessions

Check out the demos under the "Instruments" tab.  You can buy the Female Soul Ensemble and Male Soul Ensemble separately.  They are each 34 euros and run in the free Sine Player.    

OT sometimes puts up a deal--I bought both of them that way.

• Like 1

@Reid Rosefelt  You mentioned re LA Sessions - NOT SOLO. Is this the case for "Female Soul Ensemble and Male Soul Ensemble", no way of just getting one voice or layering same? Its a mix of a few voices? True Legato? 

About the EMVOICE - Is it worth exploring?

In general - Its more backing vox and not necessarily words - oohs aahs - male/female but mainly male

5 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

@Reid Rosefelt  You mentioned re LA Sessions - NOT SOLO. Is this the case for "Female Soul Ensemble and Male Soul Ensemble", no way of just getting one voice or layering same? Its a mix of a few voices? True Legato? 

About the EMVOICE - Is it worth exploring?

In general - Its more backing vox and not necessarily words - oohs aahs - male/female but mainly male

No, they are just ensemble voices.

You could give Emvoice a try for free and see what you think.   People use it to sing lyrics.  I really don't know how it would sound as ahs, etc.

And there is also a free demo of Synthesizer V, which is a more sophisticated vocal instrument--but I think a bit harder to learn.   I am pretty sure it would give you the results you're looking for it, if you're willing put the time in.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

I saw Synth V mentioned, and I'll add my recommendation to that one. I don't think a lot of people quite understand yet how much of a breakthrough Synth V is. You could potentially do realistic solo's as well as backup singing. One of the best data banks for Synth V is Solaria. Here is an example I did to test out the Solaria voice. No DAW mixing or FX (which will only make it better),  and absolutely no real person singing- This is just the raw file I created from Synth V

With Music

Without Music

The Downside to Synth V is it is best used in its own app. Sort of how like some people prefer to comp a voice with one DAW and then use another to mix. The VST integration looks decent in Studio One, but not in any other DAW. Nevertheless, it is well worth the effort. Just use a stereo backing track for creating the vocals and then bounce the vocals and import into your DAW, then continue to mix.

Edited by Patrick Derbidge
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Patrick Derbidge said:

I saw Synth V mentioned, and I'll add my recommendation to that one. I don't think a lot of people quite understand yet how much of a breakthrough Synth V is. You could potentially do realistic solo's as well as backup singing. One of the best data banks for Synth V is Solaria. Here is an example I did to test out the Solaria voice. No DAW mixing or FX (which will only make it better),  and absolutely no real person singing- This is just the raw file I created from Synth V

With Music

Without Music

The Downside to Synth V is it is best used in its own app. Sort of how like some people prefer to comp a voice with one DAW and then use another to mix. The VST integration looks decent in Studio One, but not in any other DAW. Nevertheless, it is well worth the effort. Just use a two track for creating the vocals and then bounce and import into your DAW, then continue to mix.

Wow, how long did it take you to program it?

5 minutes ago, Milan said:

Wow, how long did it take you to program it?

Hard to say, because I was learning as I went. Now that I'm familiar with "most" of SynthV features I could do this one line in probably anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour if I'm being really picky. Honestly, in just the time it takes you to plot notes and type in the lyrics you would have a great backing vocal (with their instant mode turned on) that sounds better than anything I've heard from EMVoice. Having said that, I have not yet played around with EMVoice yet, although I do own Lucy and plan to learn it this weekend. I still think Lucy will be useful but all my money is in on Synth V for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

@Patrick Derbidge  So, having read your post I downloaded Synthesizer V, installed, opened and within 1 min using the Eleanor Forte Lite voice file, did this at 120bpm

https://voca.ro/1js45JxLOHvA

this is Eleanor_MixDown.mp3

Having installed the free Synth V app .. here are the free/LITE versions of the voice data files

https://resource.dreamtonics.com/download/English/Voice Databases/Lite Voice Databases/

Here is the Synth V U/I with that quick piece i did above

1511898863_synthVUI.thumb.png.5ee05c5f6e4f2082b05191629fd0cc0c.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aidan o driscoll said:

@Patrick Derbidge  So, having read your post I downloaded Synthesizer V, installed, opened and within 1 min using the Eleanor Forte Lite voice file, did this at 120bpm

this is Eleanor_MixDown.mp3 61.05 kB · 1 download

Having installed the free Synth V app .. here are the free/LITE versions of the voice data files

https://resource.dreamtonics.com/download/English/Voice Databases/Lite Voice Databases/

Pretty easy right? I haven't used the free version of Synthv and other than some technical limitations, there are also some quality differences so I'll have to use your example of Eleanor Forte lite with the pro version to compare, but maybe since it's still Eleanor lite there won't be a big difference. 

On another note, you can also download Solaria lite here https://www.eclipsedsounds.com/solaria

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

this is Eleanor_MixDown.mp3 61.05 kB · 2 downloads

Here's a quick comparison with SynthV Pro. 

Eleanor Lite singing the same thing with SynthV Pro. No editing- just typed in the words. Instant Mode was turned on by default.

Here is the same thing but with tweaks to vibrato. Keep in mind that it's always good to start with a solid "premise"- meaning an ai voice that was designed to have vibrato. Eleanor was not designed that way, so tweaking this voice to sound that way may be more effort than it's worth. If I wanted a voice with more dynamics and expression then I would use Solaria. Nevertheless, the tweaks just took me a few minutes

• Like 1

On 2/3/2023 at 6:38 PM, Patrick Derbidge said:

I don't think a lot of people quite understand yet how much of a breakthrough Synth V is.

I could not agree more!

I would go so far as to say it's the most amazing music program I have found in the last few years and it's just in it's infancy.    The SynthV voices are already realistic enough to fool most casual listeners,  but the voices are going to get more sophisticated, more stylized, and I think they will slowly infiltrate modern music production as a standard tool.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Michael A.D. said:

I would go so far as to say it's the most amazing music program I have found in the last few years and it's just in it's infancy. 

I agree. Having a virtual singer sing exactly what you type in is really quite incredible.

1 hour ago, Michael A.D. said:

The SynthV voices are already realistic enough to fool most casual listeners,  but the voices are going to get more sophisticated, more stylized, and I think they will slowly infiltrate modern music production as a standard tool.

I wonder how that's going to work. Right now, we associate a voice with a certain artist. When different artists start sound the same (because they use the same SynthV [or alternative technology] voice), it's going to be quite strange; I suppose it's no different from artist, featuring vocal artist though.

I also get the feeling that it's going to lead to online debates about real vs. sampled/modelled, like the discussions that already exist about real vs sampled instruments.😒