IK Philharmonik 2CE, is it any good?

1 hour ago, SynthManDan said:

Thx for the reply.  How’s the install?  Is it pretty straightforward or kinda finicky?

SMD

You have to set up an account on IK Multimedia's website as this is where you will download all of the application and sound resources. You also use IK's Authorization Manager as well to activate the plugin and sound library.

CE is a great way to get some of the Philharmonik 2 sounds but IK Multimedia is running a special Summer Sale where you can get the full version for $149 which is a very good deal especially for all of the additional sample content (over 58 GB; CE has only 10GB) that is included (including sounds from the original Philharmonik).

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/index.php?R=INIT&FV=miroslav-philharmonik-2-family-related-products&CV=Other Filter&PSEL=miroslavphilharmonik

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simeon Amburgey said:

You have to set up an account on IK Multimedia's website as this is where you will download all of the application and sound resources. You also use IK's Authorization Manager as well to activate the plugin and sound library.

CE is a great way to get some of the Philharmonik 2 sounds but IK Multimedia is running a special Summer Sale where you can get the full version for $149 which is a very good deal especially for all of the additional sample content (over 58 GB; CE has only 10GB) that is included (including sounds from the original Philharmonik).

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/index.php?R=INIT&FV=miroslav-philharmonik-2-family-related-products&CV=Other Filter&PSEL=miroslavphilharmonik

I’ve looked into the full version.  It’s a good deal, but for what I want to do with my music, the CE version will cover my needs.  From what I can tell S2-CE is essentially IK’s version of GPO-5.  Thanks for the info!

SMD

• Like 1

Well I ended up buying Philharmonik 2 CE, and wow!  It was on sale for $79, and I got an additional $5 off (jam points or something) just for registering on the site.  IK even threw in a few other freebies.

The VST sounds amazing, and the switchable articulations open up so much control for playing.  Even though it’s not the full version, you still get one hell of a nice sample set to use.  Everything I need for my music in regards to orchestral instruments is covered by the CE version.  This one will keep me busy for sure.

SMD

Edited by SynthManDan
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

Apologies for bringing up an old topic (and for being somewhat off topic), but I'm a bit desperate and hoping one of you can help.  I just got Philharmonik 2 CE myself, and can't for the life of me get it to make sound.  It installed fine, everything's there... then in Cakewalk I go "Insert Instrument", select "Philharmonik 2", set virtual channel to 11, for example, output is "master", and create the track.  I then click on the little track icon to open the VST interface, and the Philharmonik 2 interface comes up perfectly.  I can manipulate and hear everything, playing no problem on the interface's keyboard... I put an instrument on track 11, close the interface, go to piano roll for my new track, and nothing... no sound.  What am I doing wrong?  I've searched... read all the documentation I could find, and still can't figure it out.

Thanks in advance for any help.  I'm trying to get back into music after a 10+ year absence, so forgive me if I seem a bit clueless.  This is one of the few threads I've found with people discussing using Philharmonik 2 with Cakewalk, so I've got my fingers crossed!

Just a possibility but do you have the piano roll's notes playing within the range of the particular instrument you are using in CE2? I seem to recall there is an issue where Cakewalk's C3 is and where some virtual instruments locate it. I have CE2 and don't usually have any problems

Try dragging the note up and down the scale if this might be the problem - apologies if you've already thought of this!

Good luck

Thanks for the response.  I did try this, but maybe not thoroughly enough.  I didn't think about C3 location possibly being different.  So you have Philharmonik 2, and it works fine for you?  Did my explanation of how I created the instrument and track sound correct?  I keep thinking I'm doing something really stupid that's causing this to happen.  I'm not as young and smart as I used to be :)

I use CE2 as a multitimbral instrument 

I create midi tracks for every instrument I need eg flutes, oboes, clarinets etc then set the output of those midi tracks to the CE2 with  different channels for each instrument. I then load up the respective instrument into the associated slot in CE2

Hope that makes some sort of sense?