Upgrading to Windows 11

Monomox

28 minutes ago, craigb said:

For me, I always move the taskbar on all smaller screens, like my laptops, to the side so I can have more vertical screen real estate.

I have done this, too, but on all monitors--ever since they got rid of the ability to have multiple bars simply because people had no idea how to dock them on the edges properly.  My reasoning is the same--I have plenty of extra space on the sides.  I heard that that in Windows 11, we cannot have it on the side.  

I'll give Windows one complement. It's better than Apple. With Apple it's "Upgrade or Die".

I have apps that worked on Win 95 that still work today. Nothing that worked on Macs 5 years ago works today.

My taskbar used to be on top, so it was like a drop-down menu. Win10 had an aftermarket app that let me do that. Win11 put a halt to that.

Other than that, using Win11 is like Win10.

Notes ♫

I just updated my old Studio PC to Windows 11 Pro and it wasn't bad.  Everything worked well and I didn't have any problems with Cakewalk by BandLab or any of my plugins. Once I was happy using the old Studio PC with Windows 11 Pro, I built a new Studio PC with all of the bells and whistles and brought over my 2 TB NVMe drive and activated a new license on the Studio PC for about $16.00.

Window 11 Pro s good, just do it!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jesse g said:

I just updated my old Studio PC to Windows 11 Pro and it wasn't bad.  Everything worked well and I didn't have any problems with Cakewalk by BandLab or any of my plugins. Once I was happy using the old Studio PC with Windows 11 Pro, I built a new Studio PC with all of the bells and whistles and brought over my 2 TB NVMe drive and activated a new license on the Studio PC for about $16.00.

Window 11 Pro s good, just do it!!

+1

and it boots up quicker and overall noticeably snappier.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Hey y'all.. Good news.. I am investigating upgrade to windows 11 Pro (win 10 is barking at me all the time, my system is more than compatible) however, I did ALSO research the changes and the new taskbar will not move anywhere from the bottom.. 

YAY.. solution.. get the free app called "Winaero Tweaker"  It will enable and disable features in windows 7, 10, and now 11.  There's an option to force windows 11 to use the windows 10 taskbar and start menus, so after enabling this tweak, I can move the taskbar anywhere I want, and still have windows 11 under the covers.  This is a fantastic tool!! I've used it for years, and is always one of the first apps I install on a new PC.  I like controlling the mouse, so all I have to do is hover over another window and it comes into focus, and I don't have to click it to activate it.. you can control how many milliseconds, before it's active (when it's too fast, you can't get to the dialog boxes fast enough, and they disappear.. So I slowed it down to 800-1500 ms.. perfect..  Check this out !! it's a great utility to always have on your PC

• Like 2

I never ran nor wanted to run my DAW in Win10....I had a great Win7 Pro setup....then I built a new machine and went to Win11 Pro. A few tweaks and it runs great! I'm using 3 out of my 4 monitors but I only have the taskbar on the main monitor...waste of space on the other ones :)

Bill

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have an i7700 CPU quad core - the one with a TPM that MS refuse to support officially on Win11, despite lots of user evidence that it works fine.

After a full backup, I applied the registry hack yesterday, downloaded the ISO and did an over the top install; I couldn't face reinstallation of all my programs and VSTs.

Early indications - it is working fine and I don't mind the look and feel. MS do force you to click a waiver that says 'as your PC is unsupported, you are not entitled to updates and patches' but that's very carefully worded and doesn't mean they are going to restrict access or stop you getting them. I did a fair bit of reading around on that.

So if you are trying to squeeze a few more years out of a device with an i7700, the workaround install does work.

Andy