Groove3 not everyone uses Logic

kitekrazy

16 hours ago, satyabrata satapathy said:

Sadly   Eli Krantzberg shifted to Logic from Sonar

Mr. Krantzberg is a long time Logic user. I remember picking up some tips from him on the old Logic Users Group - the oldest such group. I know he made some Sonar tutorials at one points but I doubt he ever actually switched to Sonar. 

On 2/2/2023 at 1:10 PM, abacab said:

I would be totally tickled if Tracktion would just update their Waveform User Manual for reals... It's currently way behind the curve for anything past Tracktion 7 and Waveform 8. 🙄

I had gotten to a point where I could only get as far is I could on my own  . So Yes ! I agree with you there .

I happen to like Traction / Waveform a lot . This program is very deep .

Kenny

I don't have Scaler, but having heard references to it in the forum, thought I'd check out the tutorial to learn more about it.  Because of the complexities of Scaler (esp. the fact that it is a midi, an audio, and an instrument plug-in all in one with a lot  of levels for each of those modes), I could not keep track of the pace with all the levels without doing some hands-on stuff--pausing, trying it out, exploring, restarting, etc.  Even if I had Scaler, because (1) the insertion method is different than in Cakewalk and (2) the mode access / switching  methods are different in Cakewalk, I would not have been able to follow along with the step-by-step process.

I have not had this kind of issue with other plug-in tutorials either on YouTube or Groove 3.

Given the complexities of Scaler, I find the statement about consulting your DAW manual for other DAWs to be less than satisfactory.  With my knowledge of SONAR / Cakewalk, I have been able to easily follow other tutorials that used different DAWs.

If you make a suggestion to Groove3 to add an additional tutorial in the Scaler 2 series that addresses setting and mode switching it up in Cakewalk, I'd be happy to support that with an e-mail.   

9 hours ago, kennywtelejazz said:

I had gotten to a point where I could only get as far is I could on my own  . So Yes ! I agree with you there .

Exactly!

Most of the cool new features since Waveform 8 are not documented in the user manual. Tracktion has even stated that they believe their user base prefers video tutorials.  SMH... I don't have time to watch every video ever made just to find a few tips on how to use obscure features. That's what reference manuals are made for!🙄

They don't have a tech writer on staff either, and cannot afford to hire one apparently. Otherwise it's a cool program!

I really like the new browser they put in Waveform 12. The Tracktion team is a small group of nice guys trying very hard to create useful tools for musicians. I really hope they continue to succeed!

3 hours ago, User 905133 said:

I have not had this kind of issue with other plug-in tutorials either on YouTube or Groove 3.

Given the complexities of Scaler, I find the statement about consulting your DAW manual for other DAWs to be less than satisfactory.  With my knowledge of SONAR / Cakewalk, I have been able to easily follow other tutorials that used different DAWs.

As far as the Scaler mechanics of DAW usage in Cakewalk, you just insert Scaler on a simple instrument track in Cakewalk. Done. Scaler simply starts out as a playable virtual instrument.

The default is using the internal sounds in Scaler, which are quite usable, especially just for setting up chord progressions. So there is actually nothing else you NEED to do in the DAW until you want to create a song.

The part that may be DAW specific is when you want to trigger VSTs in other instrument tracks instead of using Scaler's internal sounds. That is very easy in Cakewalk! Just add another instrument track with VSTi of choice (yes, even Voltage Modular works), set it's track input to Scaler and then turn Scaler's internal sound off. You can play your controller through the Scaler track, with MIDI echo enabled on your second instrument track. Also when Scaler plays back a progression, it will directly trigger your VSTi on the second instrument track.

Everything else you do in Scaler has to do with working with chords and chord progressions. That is the complex part, but worth learning! It's a music theory tool, and music theory cannot be learned in a day. But the fun is in experimenting, and even if you are already an expert with music theory, this tool might take you to some new places and get you out of a rut. And when you have something you like, just drag that MIDI from Scaler into your other instrument track.

So that's the essentials you need to get started. Of course Scaler has been continuously updated since v1 and lots of additional features have been added, but you won't need to understand them right away. Don't let the videos scare you away! ;)

30-day trial available here: https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/3-Studio-Tools/93-Music-Theory-Tools/6439-Scaler-2-FREE-3-Month-Subscription-to-Loopcloud

Edited by abacab

11 hours ago, kennywtelejazz said:

2 hours ago, abacab said:

Exactly!

Most of the cool new features since Waveform 8 are not documented in the user manual. Tracktion has even stated that they believe their user base prefers video tutorials.  SMH... I don't have time to watch every video ever made just to find a few tips on how to use obscure features. That's what reference manuals are made for!🙄

They don't have a tech writer on staff either, and cannot afford to hire one apparently. Otherwise it's a cool program!

I really like the new browser they put in Waveform 12. The Tracktion team is a small group of nice guys trying very hard to create useful tools for musicians. I really hope they continue to succeed!

How true , It's a great program and yes I hope they can suceed .All that aside ...they still need to get it together ...or they will turn out just like me

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Because of the complexities of Scaler (esp. the fact that it is a midi, an audio, and an instrument plug-in all in one with a lot  of levels for each of those modes), I could not keep track of the pace with all the levels without doing some hands-on stuff--pausing, trying it out, exploring, restarting, etc.

3 hours ago, abacab said:

As far as the Scaler mechanics of DAW usage in Cakewalk, you just insert Scaler on a simple instrument track in Cakewalk. Done. Scaler simply starts out as a playable virtual instrument.

The default is using the internal sounds in Scaler, which are quite usable, especially just for setting up chord progressions. So there is actually nothing else you NEED to do in the DAW until you want to create a song.

Thanks for the explanation. What threw me off was  (A) that Scaler can be used (1) as an instrument plug-in, (2) as an MFX plug-in, and (3) as an audio plug-in combined with (B) my unfamiliarity with Logic Pro.  I know a whole bunch of methods to insert plug-ins into Cakewalk in various places and how to route paths in Cakewalk.  But once the narrator started zipping through the various insertion methods at lightning speed I was distracted from the explanation because I was trying to track the cursor to see what he was doing and thinking of how I would do that in Cakewalk.  

For me, I anticipate the main usefulness of Scaler would not be as an instrument or as a compositional tool, but as a documentation tool and if possible as a real-time performance tool. 

However, my main point earlier was to comment on the topic raised, that Groove3 videos could better serve the needs of non-Logic users.  

So, as time permits, I will seek more detailed thoughts about what interests me with Scaler in other threads.  I will work in some time to take your excellent suggestion--to get the 30-day trial.  

Edited by User 905133
fixed typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, User 905133 said:

For me, I anticipate the main usefulness of Scaler would not be as an instrument or as a compositional tool, but as a documentation tool and if possible as a real-time performance tool. 

Scaler is a fairly deep tool that can do a lot of things in a lot of ways for different people. Trying to swallow the whole thing in a single video at Groove3, or anywhere else for that matter, is a big ask for anyone!

But it sounds like you have it sorted as to what you expect to get out of it, so just focus on that aspect. It does appear to have some usable real-time performance features, but haven't checked them out yet as I only wanted it as a composition tool. Something for everybody, and all the point updates since 2.0 have been free!

And I agree about annoyances with watching any video tuts that are done using Logic (and FL Studio or Pro Tools). I try to look for tuts made with one of the DAWs that I have on-hand. But sometimes the choices are limited to what the video presenter likes to work in, and with a few exceptions that is generally NOT Cakewalk.

On 2/2/2023 at 6:53 AM, kennywtelejazz said:

A number of the DAW's  I like and want to get better at don't seem to get updated  for new software  version videos over at Groove 3 ..

Tracktion , Samplitude , BIAB , Acid Pro , have some OK videos for those DAW's yet they are for older versions of the  programs and software.

Kenny

I don't think that those are generating enough interest for them to invest resources in creating videos.

I've also noticed that for certain manufacturers, Groove3 videos come out very close in time to the software/update they are covering.  It could be that the relationships they have with manufacturers affects which products get featured.

15 hours ago, Magic Russ said:

I don't think that those are generating enough interest for them to invest resources in creating videos.

I've also noticed that for certain manufacturers, Groove3 videos come out very close in time to the software/update they are covering.  It could be that the relationships they have with manufacturers affects which products get featured.

OK sure , overall that may be the answer to this issue in a nutshell .

The thing is that approach may contribute to  leaving a very large hole in the DAW  / Music production information  pipeline .

It's like if farmers only focused and talked about boutique crops that were cutting edge  .

We would all would starve to death ...except for Strummy I heard he was pretty good with a bow and arrow 🤣

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz

5 hours ago, kennywtelejazz said:

It's like if farmers only focused and talked about boutique crops that were cutting edge  .

We would all would starve to death ...except for Strummy I heard he was pretty good with a bow and arrow 🤣

Good one!!! 🤣

• Like 1