Automation write enable grayed out.

David Davenport

Question

I am just starting to try and automate bits of the mix and am trying to simply change the volume of an audio track. 

The instructions I have found (https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Automation.01.html) say I should right click on the track and choose "automation write enable" as a first option.  This option appears on the context menu,  but is grayed out.

I have tried looking on the track inspector option (Ctrl-Shift-I),  and I can change the option between touch, overwrite and latch,  but this has no effect on the context menu of the track.

I don't know what I am doing wrong,  nor have I been able to find any more information.

I don't know if I have explained myself clearly,  or whether I should be uploading any more info as well.  (Cakewalk Version 2022.ll (Build 21, 64 bit))  Windows 10

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas

4 answers to this question

30 minutes ago, David Davenport said:

The instructions I have found (https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Automation.01.html) say I should right click on the track and choose "automation write enable" as a first option.  This option appears on the context menu,  but is grayed out.

If you wish to use this method, try right-clicking on the control itself rather than an arbitrary spot on the track.

• Like 1

If you just want to edit the tracks volume automation manually then change the tracks volume envelope then select volume from the edit filter and then draw in your automation. If you want to use a midi controller to change the automation then you would need to setup a midi controller and then "write" is important to be enabled for the track.  The track write automation button is located just below the edit filter dropdown

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Automation.08.html

image.png.1f2ce2e34f47b39f852945974a246ef3.png

On 1/31/2023 at 8:26 PM, scook said:

If you wish to use this method, try right-clicking on the control itself rather than an arbitrary spot on the track.

It took me a few minutes to realize what you meant, the the automation is enabled/disabled for each individual control, rather than the entire track.

Now to learn how to use it...

Thanks

Yes, it is. After a while, it makes sense, as you just right click on any control you want to automate: it's very straightforward.

Once you do it, the automation lane is created and you can edit the envelope itself if needed.

Remember that you can also enable-disable READ automation to temporary override your envelopes, without erasing them - Very useful!