Mono inputs only

OddSox

Would you like to have "Mono Inputs Only" option?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Mono Inputs Only

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care

Would it be possible to add a mono inputs only option in Audio devices preferences?

It is very rare when you actually need to use a stereo input and they only clutter the list of available inputs and that sometimes leads to mistakes.

iputs.jpg

20 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

I quite often use a combination of mono & stereo inputs.

Guitar for instance... I use a stereo track from the output of my VG88, and a mono track for the DI signal.

Other stereo sources I use are hardware synths and drum overheads / room mics.

well, I agree it is useful with hardware like VG88 or electric pianos but I only record drums lately and I feel I have better control when I record overheads and room as split mono tracks.

It would be just an option anyway...

Don't see it as an issue.  But I do see where you are coming from.  My Scarlett 6i6 has a similar list. Most people are only using the first couple of inputs as they are alone in the studio. So inserting a new audio track only requires one click to select the input. But this is even easier if you use templates. 

I have track and song templates that have the correct inputs selected already. If I load a guitar track template it selects mono input 1.  a bass template uses 2. Vocals use 3 etc. I sometimes record live bands and will use a Tascam 1641 and I then load the song template that has all the correct inputs and tracks assigned. In less than 15 seconds I'm ready to record 14 tracks.  As long as the same interface is connected and being used by Cakewalk before you load a template all is good. 

I used to use more hardware stuff and in those days I had a Yamaha 01v digital mixer using the SPDIF ( digital ) connection. That was mostly used for stereo equipment but I sometimes recorded 2 mikes on acoustic guitar that way and I would separate those to mono.

Once again I think I made a template for it. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 2
  • Great Idea 3

5 hours ago, John Vere said:

Don't see it as an issue.  But I do see where you are coming from.  My Scarlett 6i6 has a similar list. Most people are only using the first couple of inputs as they are alone in the studio. So inserting a new audio track only requires one click to select the input. But this is even easier if you use templates. 

I have track and song templates that have the correct inputs selected already. If I load a guitar track template it selects mono input 1.  a bass template uses 2. Vocals use 3 etc. I sometimes record live bands and will use a Tascam 1641 and I then load the song template that has all the correct inputs and tracks assigned. In less than 15 seconds I'm ready to record 14 tracks.  As long as the same interface is connected and being used by Cakewalk before you load a template all is good. 

I used to use more hardware stuff and in those days I had a Yamaha 01v digital mixer using the SPDIF ( digital ) connection. That was mostly used for stereo equipment but I sometimes recorded 2 mikes on acoustic guitar that way and I would separate those to mono.

Once again I think I made a template for it. 

Templates are definitely the way to go.

For whole group recordings I have a project template ready to go, with tracks matching the channels I've labelled on my interface/mixer for each instrument.

In the studio, I tend to use track templates with the inputs assigned to the appropriate input ports I use for each instrument. 

• Like 1