Syntronik Memory-V free with Beat 03/23

satya

For those not familiar with Syntronik, the oscillators are all sample-based so it's not a full synth emulation.

The panels for the various synths in the collection contain basically the same controls, with mostly graphic design differences. But since the samples were all recorded from the vintage hardware, you mostly get the sound of the real thing, which can sound great! The various filters were modeled on the leading filter types used by vintage synths, but not exactly from the synth model represented by the Syntronik instrument in use.

Also, the preset browser doesn't have a "next" or "previous" button to audition presets with. It requires a double-click to load a preset. So recommend spending a session going through all of the presets and marking your favorites with the "star" icon. This will save you time & frustration later. :)

Edited by abacab
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I have the full Syntronik 2 collection, but I spend more time with my Cherry Audio vintage synth emulations these days. Why? Because I like having full control over the synth. And Cherry Audio has done a reasonably fine job with their Moog emulations. :)

You can get their version of the Memory Moog for $39. https://cherryaudio.com/products/memorymode

Memorymode-panel.png

Edited by abacab
  • Like 5

@abacab Thanks for that comparison and mini review. I find these kind of insights super useful,  and without the bias (free product and/or cash) of influencer "reviews." 

I have a bunch of the Syntronik synths, including this one, and think they're very good, although I rarely reach for those sounds in my productions,  even though they're a lot of fun to play around with. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PavlovsCat said:

@abacab Thanks for that comparison and mini review. I find these kind of insights super useful,  and without the bias (free product and/or cash) of influencer "reviews." 

I have a bunch of the Syntronik synths, including this one, and think they're very good, although I rarely reach for those sounds in my productions,  even though they're a lot of fun to play around with. 

I have the Syntronik 2 MAX, and there are some very cool sounds buried in there. If you find a sound that you like, it can sound really good! And kudos to the team that preserved all of those vintage synth sounds from those hardware collections! It's historical! And what you can put together in the multis can be very creative!

But the downside is with the preset browser and the fact that all the synth presets are sample based. I have nothing against sample based instruments, in fact I have too many of them! 🤪

It's just that if I am looking for a synth preset in Syntronik, I encounter a bit too much "friction". Lets see here, found a cool preset name, so double click and wait for the samples to load. Listen to it, then on to the next, and so forth.

I just find that workflow tiresome after a while, where with a modeled synth that I can just scroll down a filtered list of sounds that might be interesting and they each load instantly. That tends to hold my attention for much longer. Syntronik may be of more use if you know exactly what you are looking for, rather than exploring for "that sound" that you will know as soon as you hear it. That said, you will run across some goodies, especially if you filter for the Syntronik v2 presets. :)

• Like 3

21 hours ago, abacab said:

I have the full Syntronik 2 collection, but I spend more time with my Cherry Audio vintage synth emulations these days. Why? Because I like having full control over the synth. And Cherry Audio has done a reasonably fine job with their Moog emulations. :)

You can get their version of the Memory Moog for $39. https://cherryaudio.com/products/memorymode

Memorymode-panel.png

Interesting how it sounds comparing with GForce Minimoog wich sound I'm rather  satisfied .

The major issue with sample-based synths like Syntronik Mem-V is that some sounds from the real synth are intrinsically impossible. You get a small, finite set of pulse widths. Maybe modulated, maybe not. With a fully modelled synth, you can do a PWM pulse-width sweep, from x% to y% synced to 1/4 notes or whole notes, or anything in between. Or a sequence of sine waves that get "cut off" in the middle by a lower-frequency square wave.  This allows for changes in harmonic content that you just can't get from single samples. 

It's probably the motivation for "wavetable" synths.

Which doesn't mean that the sounds you get from this are bad, it's just limited.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, alex satt said:

Interesting how it sounds comparing with GForce Minimoog wich sound I'm rather  satisfied .

The Minimoog (1970-1982) and the Memorymoog (1982-1985) are basically two different animals... For starters, 6-voice polyphony with 3 VCO's per voice  in the latter. :)

https://www.vintagesynth.com/moog/memory.php

"The Memorymoog is like having six Minimoogs stacked in one! Features include VCO syncing, sample and hold, and separate filters for each voice! It also has a Unison mode for a fat 18 oscillator monophonic bass and lead sound. And as its name would suggest, it has memory storage - 100 patches!"

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 1

I own Syntronik 2 and I agree with most that's been said, it's not as flexible as a real synth and navigating the presets is no fun.
BUT! It's still more flexible than your average rompler and some of the sounds are really good, so if you can get it for free and you don't have it yet: Get it, you won't regret it. At least give it a try.

6 hours ago, satya said:

i would like to see  Shortcircit XT importing Kontakt , MPC and Sampletank libraries 😃

Don't think that will be possible. Those libraries are stored in proprietary sample containers that 3rd party samplers cannot access. They are stored that way to prevent piracy. ;)