Your Best Angel

mark skinner

@Hidden Symmetry  @Andrew Rhodes @DeeringAmps @Lynn Wilson Hello Friends , I'm Finally calling this one done. Thanks to all of you for your help and inspiration !  I'm sure I'll tweek it a little more before (when ever) I release it. @steve@baselines.com You got me looking closer at the drums. I went back and did a good bit of editing on the kick and added a couple of tom hits , getting it a little more on point. Not a big difference , but It's punching harder instead of being so laid back.  @KSband I did a close listen on small speakers and earbuds . Bass was lost .. I did some EQ work , changed comp. settings and added some saturation. I think it's coming thru better with the kick. I'm going to let this one slide off the page now ..       Thank You ..     mark

https://soundclick.com/r/s8nu7z

Edited by mark skinner
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

So it's not sliding anywhere.  :)

I guess I'm hearing the latest mix. The word that pops into my head is "soundstage" as in "incredible soundstage" . . . such a pleasure to listen to this mix and it's well-conceived and executed separations. 

I can't offer any mix ideas where none are needed! But I did find a perhaps checkable moment where a vocal edit or something may be leading to a clip or a pop. 1:13 going into 1:14. That's it. That's all I could find, and it might even be just this particular render, or how it streamed to me.

The song itself is poetic, heart rending, and beautiful in the extreme. Vocally you give it a treatment reminiscent of Gordon Lightfoot or Ron Hynes.

so thanks for that listen!

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

@freddy j @timboalogo @Miguel Carzola Thanks So much for the listen and comments , I Really appreciate it ! @PhonoBrainer Those were wonderful compliments , this song was truly from the heart. I too am hearing "something" on both mixes posted at 1:13. I think it's a stray vocal delay coming in at a strange spot. I'll look for it pretty close in the project.    Thanks for that ..    I thought for sure it had slid away ..        mark

• Like 1

On 1/30/2023 at 4:55 AM, mark skinner said:

Hello , I was going to wait awhile ..  but I got toasted and posted..  Here's a new one I could use your ears on . Thought I'd go back to some vocal songs while I still can . I've been goin back and forth on vocal levels and have had problems with de-essing. Any suggestions would be Great for improvements , no matter how small. Besides the electric guitar DI'd, everything else was captured with an SM57 including the vocals ..  (last time for this) thus the De-ess problems. Left side - Dulcimer and Yari acoustic . Right side G&L Tele and high strung Aria acoustic. Ibanez bass and SI drums.  Sends to Valhalla Space modulator on the acoustics.  Thank You  for the listen.        This is a fictional song but it's been a  close call ..         - This is Mix D with vocal panning-   Thanks ..  mark

Neat sublime guitars there Mark with engaging vocals and a nice flow to the song... beats just right to define the pace and rhythm... 

Overall well done song with a modern country feel to it 👍

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...