Your Best Angel

mark skinner

Hello , I was going to wait awhile ..  but I got toasted and posted..  Here's a new one I could use your ears on . Thought I'd go back to some vocal songs while I still can . I've been goin back and forth on vocal levels and have had problems with de-essing. Any suggestions would be Great for improvements , no matter how small. Besides the electric guitar DI'd, everything else was captured with an SM57 including the vocals ..  (last time for this) thus the De-ess problems. Left side - Dulcimer and Yari acoustic . Right side G&L Tele and high strung Aria acoustic. Ibanez bass and SI drums.  Sends to Valhalla Space modulator on the acoustics.  Thank You  for the listen.        This is a fictional song but it's been a  close call ..         - This is Mix D with vocal panning-   Thanks ..  mark

Edited by mark skinner
Remix
  • Like 10

Fantastic Mark.
I think the vocal levels are fine.
To be honest I dont here much with your de-ess problems you are stating.

I have recently been using Synchro Arts Reptich for dessing and other sibilants.
I do have Melodyne Studio...  but that has gone on the back burner now due to the new program.

Brilliant.
Love your vocals.

• Like 1

@AndyB01 Thanks for the listen and the nice comment . @garybrun I Really appreciate your listening and for the earlier private suggestions you gave me for this song . It really got me going in the right direction. Lining the erratic heartbeat up with the song was a "rough job" until I realized an easier way to do it. It took me awhile to get the S problem under control but I was still unsure of the results. It's Always hard for me to get "my own" vocal levels right , I guess I need to get out of the role of the performer and just lock in as a listener.   Thanks also to everyone who listens without commenting..

mark

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hidden Symmetry said:

To add i thought an alt mix with the BV's slightly panned off the main vocal might be nice too..

Thank You for the reply and the suggestion. I actually thought about that while mixing but didn't go thru with it. I really like the way Rex Red treats his backing vocals and at times they sound as if they're hard panned. I'll for sure give it a try ..   mark

• Like 1

Oh Yeah . . . this is one ultimate love song, really well done Mark ! The vocals and harmonies really shine here against that heartbeat rhythm. The latest mix you posted really brings the vocal clearer for me, like you brought in some sibilance, easier to follow the lyrics. This has so much heart, as I listened along  . . .

• Like 1

@Hidden Symmetry In the new mix , I soloed and automated the panning on the vocal tracks. I went out 18% on the main harmonies , that was just enough to keep the tracks out of each others way but still had a centered blend. In the process I also Melodyned one of the harmony tracks. It had some pretty bad spots. Thanks for that suggestion. Everything was straight up the middle. I believe that improved the song a Lot.   I'm happy now ..

12 hours ago, noynekker said:

The latest mix you posted really brings the vocal clearer for me, like you brought in some sibilance, easier to follow the lyrics.

Thank You Bruce. I also did some mid /side eq work while mastering. (another helpful @garybrun suggestion). @Bajan Blue @Larry T. @DaveT2 @KSband @Keith Wilby I Really appreciate you and your time !  @Paul Bush Thanks for the comment and the follow. @Wookiee Thanks you also for the nice comment.  You guys keep me going and Really help me to get a handle on the finer points of making my songs presentable.   Sincerely ..  mark

Edited by mark skinner
  • Like 2

Absolutely fabulous! Can't really hear anything wrong with this. I would have never noticed a (very) slight de-essing problem, it's only because you mentioned it I looked out for it!

Reminds me a bit of Poco (what a great band), although I can't think of a song that's close, only this one - just a little bit, because of the feel of the song!

• Like 1