Got lucky and got the new Ryzen 3900X

5 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

Behringer has absorbed numerous great companies over the past 10+ years (Midas, Kark Teknik, TC Electronic).

Some of their latest gear is very good.

If you're a fan of the original 1176 and LA-2A compressors, you should check out the 76-KT and KT-2A.

They're inexpensive... and sound excellent.

The 76-KT works wonders on drums.  

Wow, didn't know they got TC Electronic.

On 7/27/2019 at 6:48 PM, craigb said:

Behringer gear isn't all bad (just not top-end).  It's cheap because they steal everything!  We used to joke how their R&D departments were [insert list of high-end gear here].

R&d

Ripoff and duplicate

I've got a great new daw for sale... Fakewalk... Cheap... Whatever you've got on you.

Edited by Gswitz

On 7/28/2019 at 11:39 AM, richard greenidge said:

Antler, I love the Wave plugins. I've been dealing with computers for a long time and Cakewalk since Cakewalk DOS. I have a lot of plug-ins that go back to 1990 that wasn't from Cakewalk. I have more Wave plug-ins than anyone else because of sales, discounts etc. Almost every year I upgrade, my computer or had to increase the size my hard drives. I have no problem installing  other plug-ins I bought from others, I have a iLok. With Waves every time I upgrade something, they don't use regular VST extensions, they have some special folders, and when it doesn't load Cakewalk can't find the Wave files. I found out when my boot drive failed last year and I thought it was my motherboard, that they only allow you to download their files once a year. So they only option you have is you have to go a year without it, or buy a new one which you may pay more than the original. They also want you to pay yearly for each plug-in you bought for upgrades, and updates for each, and mine come up to over $300 a year if I'm correct. Everyone else, if you change hardware, you either have a iLok, put in your serial numbers go to the website, sign in, if you have to download the program again like Cakewalk and it works, I have no problem. The problem is, that I bought this item and I expect it to be available to me when I want to use it. It takes hours of adjusting to get the sound you wanted and then it's not there now because you altered your computer. They know you are not a pirate because you have to sign in, but if you want to download your stuff again, you have to pay if you did it once that year. So all your 50 plug-ins are dead, for a year unless you want to pay for something you already paid for. Are you willing to pay them $400 after you just upgraded your computer for something you thought you bought and was your forever. You can't make up for the hours you spent customizing settings etc. For me, if I have a problem with something I have to let it go. I feel like I have been robbed, me upgrading my computer has nothing to do with what I purchased from you. If you policies don't agree and it wasn't free. I am not willing to get ripped off anymore, and that's what I feel they did is ripped me off. If that is their EULA sorry if I don't agree and didn't see it coming and it is NOT the norm. I not looking to change their policy for just me, it's not like anyone else's.   

Waves has multiple options for keeping up with your ‘Keys’.  Cloud (where your keys are when you buy the plugs), C drive (where they go after installation), USB stick ( where you SHOULD move them to after installation) Waves doesn’t even make you buy iLok! You can use any old USB stick. If you put your licenses on the C drive and wipe your drives clean to change CPU or hard drives then you’ve essentially thrown away your cars keys and then complain that the dealership will only give you 1 new set a year.  Waves will let you download as many times as you like, even multiple computers.  Keep up with your keys! Use a USB stick for crying out loud.  😂

You can also move licenses back to the cloud for changing CPU or hard drive and then back to C drive.  Why not just keep your ‘keys’ on the USB stick?  You probably have the latest and greatest one of those I’m assuming. 😉

Also their plugs can be found in

c:\program files (x86)\common files\vst3

c:\program files\common files\vst3

c:\program files\vstplugins

Add those to your scan path and rescan in Cakewalk when you install or add new stuff.

Fairly straight forward. 😄

Lastly, they aren’t forcing you to update or upgrade any of your plugins. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.  I’m still driving a 96 Ford explorer. Does Ford want me to upgrade to the 2019 model with bluetooth and Sirius? YES  Do I upgrade? NO  my 96 Ford is still getting me where I need to go.

I do understand your frustrations, but a lot of that could be self inflicted.

I am definitely feeling CPU envy though!😄✌️

Edited by Blogospherianman

Blogo', this is not my first rodeo. I've done all the recovery, checked the folders, it say's that everything is there. But the only Waves plug-in that works is the last one I bought. All my drives are backed-up and cloned for my C drive, plug-ins, copies are made of what ever I downloaded of my plug-ins. I re-download all  my plug-ins per instruction of Waves of the  plug-ins I bought, not the others and I still don't get them to work, again only the latest one shows up in the folder. When I changed my MB and CPU, there was nothing changed on any of my drives, so why mess with my hard drives or Registry Files? Store stuff on USB sticks? I don't have one USB stick that hasn't failed on me, so that's the last thing I would store something on. When you have about 40 different plug-in companies, and only ONE you have a problem with. If something becomes difficult, I get rid of them, parts, women, all can be replaced. I don't take b.s. from anybody. If I paid for it again, I bet you I wouldn't have a problem getting it to work. Why is their program checking on my CPU and MB? Losing cars keys? I didn't lose anything. nothing was removed or altered on any of my drives. Again, I'm not going to have one software company limit my freedom. They need to fix their installation software, it tells me everything is there, but it is not. If they did their VST like everyone else, I wouldn't have this problem. All they want is more money for what I already bought. I'm not calling them. If I call them, I might as well call the IRS in India, or Microsoft because I have a virus. I now consider Waves software scammers. They have a automated plug-in repair that doesn't work, falsely tells me my plug-ins are loaded on my C drive, and they messed with my hard drive, because I changed my hardware.  There are others who acknowledged my hardware was changed, and I signed in and everything was updated and works. Maybe you are the type of guy that get scammed by Indians with Anglo names, I been dealing with people and computers long enough to know when someone is working with you or screwing you.  I know you are trying to help, but like you said, you don't change anything, where I love to change and mess with electronic things. I have a iLok, and I would rather have that than to go through this crap. Waves is the only frustrating plug-in company out there, the only. Every time you add a new plug-in from Waves, it creates a new folder, deletes the old, It's unique and buggy. Show me another company that has the same policy as Waves?  I never look back, I go forward.  

I love to change things.  I used to copy the dlls to the Cakewalk VST folder.  I got tired of copying so I made the change of adding their folders to my scan.  I'm certainly not the type of guy who gets scammed.  I drop companies very quickly if I feel scammed or taken advantage of.  

Not sure why the C drive license method is tied to CPU/MOB but I have seen cases of such even with Microsoft Windows.  I've had my Waves plugs on the same OLD USB for quite a few years now (quite a few computers as well) and probably should move them to a different USB stick.  

I definitely sympathize with your frustrations and wish I could be more helpful .

Good luck creating music with which ever software suits you.  You certainly have a good enough CPU to handle ANY software you throw at it. 😀

Let me know if I can help in any way! Peace! 

• 2 months later...

Interesting thread. I am thinking about the same CPU for my next machine - I've had this rig for almost 9yrs now...i5 2500 which was the best bang per buck at the time.

@richard greenidge - Have you managed to push the CPU yet , I was interested to know how many plugins, VSTi's etc you could typlically run and at what latency before it started to stutter? 

I have just checekd a recent track and I'm running about 100 Plugins & 15 VSTi's on an EDM track. I do some orchestral hybrid stuff so I have quite a few Kontakt libraries as well for those. 

To get my system to play anything like the above I have to max out the latency to 2048 and freeze some of the tracks / Vsti's so I'd be interested to know what this 3900x can handle in the real world. It would be nice to keep my latency at no more than 256 and not have to freeze anything.

Also what sort of drives are you using ?  

When my son moved out in March I changed his bedroom to my mastering room, and had to buy a new computer for that room. I bought a new MB with a Ryzen R5-1600 and a 450 Motherboard, I had no idea AMD was coming out with a monster. Now I'm thinking about updating that motherboard bios and putting the 3900X in that computer and using that in my bedroom for the new MS Flight Simulator coming out and using this computer for the mastering room and buying the 3950X for my DAW. On Amazon the 3900x went back to $499 last week when they got them, and now $530. This is amazing I don't ever remember a CPU chip going up in price in a few months and not down?  @ CosmicDolphin, I'm using a Motu 24AO, with 2 Behringer ADA8200's, to give me 32 analog channels to my 32 channel digital mixer. I'm also using that one for 8 channels of audio input to the DAW. The second one I use to connect 2 keyboards and 2 midi sound modules to, and another 8 channels of audio directly to the DAW. So the Motu 24AO, set up to handle, 40 channels of audio, and 16 external input channels at 48Khz and 16 bits. I checked my settings and I'm using a host buffer setting of 256, and a host safety of 64. With the i7-6800x, I used 512 and 256 if I remember right.  The problem with the AMD Ryzen series, is that it is dual channel, and you can only have motherboards of 2 or 4 memory slots. I used 8 slots of 16GB cards that gave me 128GB of RAM. So I was stuck with 64GB of RAM, until about 3 weeks later when 32GB of RAM sticks became available. I now have 128GB of RAM, which make your hard drives not that important. I use only Western Digital Black or Gold series mechanical drives. I don't overclock which was recommended with the cheaper 570 motherboard I bought, and it is the first time I used a water cooler for a CPU. All my other have a EVO 212 cooler.  While using Cakewalk I never used the freeze function except by accident  and I have plenty of plug-ins going. Strings and horns are my thing and I have multi separate Kontakt modules at the same time working, and plug-ins under it. I sent a photo of the activity of the 24 threads to someone and the activity is so low that the CPU looks like it isn't even working. I mentioned that everything sounds cleaner. It's so clean I dropped some of the compressors and other plug-ins I used. It's like less is better. I love it, and will probably get the 3950X? Is it perfect? It handled everything I gave it, and if you make changes, try to save your latest changes, because I put plug-ins, that crashed the program, not the computer.  Depending on budget, I would wait for the 3950X. They always said with a lot of plug-ins, you need a lot of RAM. Good luck with your projects everyone. 

• 5 months later...

First of all, I hope everyone is doing well and are safe out there and will be for the future. I didn't know even with my electronic background that it took 3 months to produce these Ryzen CPU's. It only took a few hours for me too make printed circuit boards. Some people said they were going to wait for the Ryzen 3950X, I'm glad I didn't wait because according to PassMark Software, it was almost twice the price, but not twice the speed. Now even the second top Threadripper is almost twice the speed as the 3900X. Now some updates. After a year of being lockout from using my Waves plug-ins, I am able to use them if I want. I just bought about new 20 plug-ins from others, the last 2 months. I now have a total of 717 plugins, and not all are audio effects. I still don't understand the Wave company logic, where they are the ONLY company that I used so far, that penalizes the use of you upgrading your computer or hardware failure. Also, there may be a problem where you can't mix series 9, 10 and 11, and may have to pay to upgrade. My plugins seem to be all series 9. What does anybody gain, by not using my plugins for a year? I did not remove anything from my hard drives, just changed my motherboard and CPU. 

A person asked, how many plug-ins can you use? It's impossible to tell, because some plugins load the system more than others. I have VST2 and mostly now VST3 versions. 

In the middle of last week I wanted to remix a song with the new plugins, and to get familiar with all these plugins on vocals etc. so I know exactly which one to use first, to get the sound I want. If I told you I knew what every button or knob did on each plugin, I'd be lying. But this is a good time as any. So while playing back the mix, and recording on my mixdown computer. The song started to break up, when a vocal came back in the song about 4 minutes later. I never had this problem before and I start seeing higher spikes in my core monitor, the music would play with a lot of noise, the core monitor would freeze and all controls, and recover with the noise, and then I can stop. I then lowered and increased my MOTU settings, with same exact problem. I felt that it had to be the new plugins, and was removing them one at a time, with the same result. After removing about 4 plug-ins, I decided to restart the computer, and load the song from a month ago with the old plugins, when I got to the 4 minute vocal part, it started acting up. That was great, now I know I have a hardware problem, and not a plug-in. When I started the song at the 4 minute vocal entry, the music would not break-up. So something is running out of space, and with 128 GB  of RAM, I don't think you'll have a virtual memory problem or did I remember how to change it with 5 large drives with more than 75% of space each. I also saw that the D drive where I keep my audio and save my Cakewalk files, I upgraded it from a Western digital Black to a solid state drive. When? I have no memory of doing that at all. I then manually defragmented both the C and D drive, which automatically are set to do each week. Ran the song again, and got the same problem. Now what? I took a look at what was running, and saw SKYPE, which I don't use, so I removed the Skype program, and all unnecessary files on the C drive. There was option to remove old Windows update files, which had the largest size and it was very slow to remove, I thought the computer froze, because the status bar hardly moved, it took about 2 hours to complete.  Now everything is fine again.