Tips on keyboard for beginner?

Critical Chameleon

Hey guys!

Hope all is well :) 

I have no experience at all playing the keyboard, but would love to learn it and maybe 15 years from now own a piano.

The requirements I can think of right now are:

- Portable in the sense that I'm not able to have it up all the time so it has to be stored under the sofa. Then whenever I'm using it I'll put it on my computer desk. A lot of moving back and forth.

- Sturdy as I have cats and they will without a doubt walk on it even if I'd do my best to not make that happen.

- Good sound (an obvious one I guess) and sound close to a piano

Then I was wondering if there are any keyboards which you can sync up to a computer or app to teach you how to play a song? Ultimately, what I'm looking for is that the keys on the keyboards would light up to show you which to press. I'm not sure this is even a thing though, but if it is, I'd definitely want support for such a feature. 

Hope anyone can help me out, appreciate it!

• 5 months later...

Casio has a model series with keys that light up (those keys are not weighted IIRC), and there are also digital pianos specifically geared for learning (Yamaha has a few nice ones, but they are more designed to be set up in one spot and heavy (and not cheap)). If you have a Guitar Center anywhere close, it is probably better to take a jaunt there to see what options are available in a side-by-side scenario. If you are moving it back and forth you definitely want to consider weight and durability (or even a nice, sturdy "Z-style stand with casters" so you can simply roll it back and forth at will). With cats, it is also recommended to get a couple yards of thick fabric off a discount rack someplace to drape over it when not in use (this will keep out not only the hairs, but keyboards can also collect dust between the keys that is hard to clean). If your intent is to eventually get a piano, weighted keys would be preferred, but that will also add weight to the unit (under the sofa might become tedious, hence a stand instead). If you are ever planning to use it to record into a DAW, the MIDI capabilities are something to consider as well.

All that said, if you are just starting out, it would be better to go with something simple and see if you take to playing it. That way if it ends up being forgotten under the sofa it won't be a massive issue, but if you take to it like a duck to water, you can always upgrade to something better later (and know exactly what you want/need when you do). The 61-key Casios are fairly inexpensive and light-weight, but there are a lot of options available (why checking out a Guitar Center will help a lot to put things in perspective for you).

I would stay away from gimmicks like the light up keys because they can easily become crutches that actually end up being an impediment to learning.

Also, if piano is what you want to learn, be sure to get something with weighted piano action keys. The playing experience is very different.

• Like 1