What might make a pc slow to shut down?

Keni

I've been problem solving on a friend's pc. He pisted earlier as cakewalk process is not closing when he closes CbB...

I noticed that a number of times it actually did close many minutes later and the machine takes a very long time to close down so I'm thinking these are related.

I ran chkdsk and all is healthy.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Thanks.

Does he have a hard drive (or attached external device) set to write-behind for speed?  If so, then it's just trying to catch up before shutting down.  Without knowing anything about his machine, all of this is guesswork.  I would suggest the following (all can be done for free from an Administrator account):

• Run Malwarebytes to make sure there's nothing else going on
  • Run Glary Utilities to clean up the system and remove unneeded temporary files
  • From Glary, you can perform a defrag analysis and defrag if needed
  • Also from Glary, you can see what else starts when he boots

Is the computer up-to-date?  Maybe Windows (or Java, or Adobe, etc.) is repeatedly trying to check for updates (you can disable some from Glary too).

Does it say what application it's waiting for during the shut down?

Another thing to check is that it's actually shutting down.

Windows 10 by default actually does a hibernate instead of shutting down. This involves dumping the current memory contents to a file, so it can start where you left off when you start up again. If you've got a large amount in memory then this can take time.

If restarting the PC is quicker than shutting down, it's a good indication that this is what's happening.

To turn it off:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/support-software/How-to-disable-Sleep-Mode-or-Hibernation-793/

A MIDI driver that's not "letting go" can cause CbB (Sonar) to not shut down.

A while back, Korg's USB MIDI driver was causing this issue.

When you close CbB (Sonar), open Task Manager and see if the Sonar process continues to run.

Some plugins like Addictive Drums have an online "Sync" process.

This can cause CbB (Sonar)  to take slightly longer to shut down. 

6 hours ago, craigb said:

Does he have a hard drive (or attached external device) set to write-behind for speed?  If so, then it's just trying to catch up before shutting down.  Without knowing anything about his machine, all of this is guesswork.  I would suggest the following (all can be done for free from an Administrator account):

• Run Malwarebytes to make sure there's nothing else going on
  • Run Glary Utilities to clean up the system and remove unneeded temporary files
  • From Glary, you can perform a defrag analysis and defrag if needed
  • Also from Glary, you can see what else starts when he boots

Is the computer up-to-date?  Maybe Windows (or Java, or Adobe, etc.) is repeatedly trying to check for updates (you can disable some from Glary too).

Does it say what application it's waiting for during the shut down?

Thanks Craig...

No info given at closing. Only the shutting diwn dialog.

Drive is healthy and set plane jane... It's been working fine for years with no changes other than Sonar/CbB updates.

Old OS (win7)

I'm not familiar with Glary so I'll look at that.

4 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

A MIDI driver that's not "letting go" can cause CbB (Sonar) to not shut down.

A while back, Korg's USB MIDI driver was causing this issue.

When you close CbB (Sonar), open Task Manager and see if the Sonar process continues to run.

Some plugins like Addictive Drums have an online "Sync" process.

This can cause CbB (Sonar)  to take slightly longer to shut down. 

Thanks Jim...

real barebones system. Used for assembly of radio shows. Three tracks and zero plugins, but 4 hours long realtime. One track music, one dj, and one commercials.

My friend Les has been using Sonar/CbB for near 15 years this way yet remains somewhat nubile about pc's in general.

win7/presonus 2 input audiobox...