Chris Squire - Master Class

Old Joad

I still remember seeing Chris playing in a small band (mid-1980's) that was put together to showcase this incredible female drummer.  I'm not completely sure where they were playing, but I believe it was inside the Sherman Oaks Galleria (where my best friend was the manager of the Sherman Clay Organs & Pianos there).

There were several people from various labels on hand to watch the drummer who, I must say, is the first drummer I saw live whose playing literally gave me goosebumps!  Damn she was good!  I have no idea what her name was now or if she got signed, but she sure should have!

Edited by craigb

3 hours ago, Jesse Screed said:

Hey bass players,

Are the necks on 4 string basses narrower than on a 6 string guitar?

Some yes. some no.

The problem with guys like Chris and I (I'm 7.75" from wrist to to tip of middle finger) is we have too much hand for six strings. Whereas the spread on a Ric or P-Bass gives us breathing room.

My Gibson EB-3, Danelectro Longhorn, Hofner 'Beatle Bass' and Warwick Thumb basses all have narrower necks than a P-Bass but the spread on the strings is still wider than a 6 string.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bapu said:

Some yes. some no.

The problem with guys like Chris and I (I'm 7.75" from wrist to to tip of middle finger) is we have too much hand for six strings. Whereas the spread on a Ric or P-Bass gives us breathing room.

My Gibson EB-3, Danelectro Longhorn, Hofner 'Beatle Bass' and Warwick Thumb basses all have narrower necks than a P-Bass but the spread on the strings is still wider than a 6 string.

Thanks Bapu, I just measured my hand from wrist to tip of middle finger and I get 7.75 just like you.  Is that considered big or small or medium?

I am not able to use my thumb on guitar or base, but maybe it is a problem with flexibility or technique.

It just looked like his basses all had thin necks.

Thanks for the info on basses.  I have a MIM P base.

1 hour ago, Bapu said:

(I'm 7.75" from wrist to to tip of middle finger)

Never tried "that" measurement before! 😆

For me, measuring from that first crease on the wrist right below the palm to the tip of my middle finger is almost dead on 8" (maybe a 1/32nd of an inch short of that).

I've never played a 6-string bass (had a 4-string and a 5-string), or any guitar with more than six strings (I used a Schecter Scorpion 6-string baritone instead of a 7-string guitar).

That said, I've never blamed my playing inadequacies on being too long! 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, craigb said:

For me, measuring from that first crease on the wrist right below the palm to the tip of my middle finger is almost dead on 8" (maybe a 1/32nd of an inch short of that).

I should have stated it that way., because that's what I did. 😞 

Now I have .25 envy.

45 minutes ago, Jesse Screed said:

Is that considered big or small or medium?

Well, I'd say in length it would beyond medium but surely not excessively long.

In thinking it over big may also include girth too.

Outside Knuckle to knuckle: I'm 3.5" wide.

Comfortable touching fingers (at tip segment of little finger to index finger) I'm 3" wide.

I would characterize my fingers as leaning towards slender, not "sawsedges".

1 hour ago, craigb said:

Never tried "that" measurement before! 😆

I've never played a 6-string bass (had a 4-string and a 5-string), or any guitar with more than six strings (I used a Schecter Scorpion 6-string baritone instead of a 7-string guitar).

That said, I've never blamed my playing inadequacies on being too long! 🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Bapu said:

Well, I'd say in length it would beyond medium but surely not excessively long.

In thinking it over big may also include girth too.

Outside Knuckle to knuckle: I'm 3.5" wide.

Comfortable touching fingers (at tip segment of little finger to index finger) I'm 3" wide.

I would characterize my fingers as leaning towards slender, not "sawsedges".

7 minutes ago, craigb said:

As long as it's only 1/4 envy and not full envy!  😆

we all work with what we have

• Haha 1