Marching On Together (Warrior)

whoisp

Yes i know not many are football fans but iv'e been a Leeds lad since a kid and did this track for my 50yrs anniversary. If you ever went to a Leeds match and hear the crowd sing, i don't think there is one music producer, musician or music enthusiast that doesn't get chills down their spine the first time you go to Elland Rd.  

Anyway i mixed it up with EDM and Guitar. Was a project to update my templates which I'm still doing.  The sidechain ducking is close, had fun with gating and  the parallel compression.  I could have tweaked more but where do you stop? 

I slammed the bass guitar so it was more blended and didn’t stick out too much which did jeopardise my dynamics and low end glue. I was touch and go with the guitar, I sat it in and it lost its flavour, so rolled stuff back. I did have a a drum kit, so I always get particular with Kick and snap in the snare. I wanted the snare/synth/guitar to dominate loudness to get a high energy and drama.

The vocals I could have sat them in a tad with some saturation or comp but I cut the low end for them to cut through even with some ducking (sacrifice)  cut much low which unglued a tad. I just got the master in the ball park but happy in general considering i still updating templates so probably do another EDM mixed type track

Edited by whoisp
  • Like 4

I think it sounds good.  High energy. Plays well with the video (good video work). The only thing I was considering was if the kick is loud enough, but upon more consideration, its loud enough and I'm not struggling to hear it on my cans. However I wonder how this will sound with ear buds and smaller speakers, which I do not have. I like all the different elements that pop in and out to spice this up. Nice work so far as my ears can tell. Enjoyable.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FreeEarCandy said:

I think it sounds good.  High energy. Plays well with the video (good video work). The only thing I was considering was if the kick is loud enough, but upon more consideration, its loud enough and I'm not struggling to hear it on my cans. However I wonder how this will sound with ear buds and smaller speakers, which I do not have. I like all the different elements that pop in and out to spice this up. Nice work so far as my ears can tell. Enjoyable.

Thank you for your comment. Yes, i tested it on Samsung phone speaker, the kick is hard to hear in parts on phone, my phone ear buds pretty good though with flat. I test on my old monitors with sub on/off, Sony studio cans, ear buds and expensive beats which blow my ears off. If you get very busy round a kick you normally have to sacrifice somewhere or its just a constant kick which dance, trance and techno people like but its sort off alternative sound track so i made a compromise and sort of works i think   

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mark skinner said:

I Really Liked all the energy in this one. I especially liked the deep drum rolls. At times I was wanting to hear the kick and chorus vocals up about a half db .   Fantastic job on the video as well ..    Nice ..   mark

Cheers Mark

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 1:54 PM, whoisp said:

I could have tweaked more but where do you stop? 

This is a great question, but I find that I should always stop about 2 steps before I finally do.

I think you should contact the team and pitch this to them.  It would be perfect on the big screen at the stadium with full volume.

I really appreciate the way you always seek to have better mixes.  I learn from your queries on the sub forums.

Keep on seeking!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, freddy j said:

Great work !  Definitely enough to get the fan base charged up.  I am sure that the team office would like this one.  Perhaps this could replace "We Are The Champions" in stadiums around the world!!

haha i be happy if the players played it in the gym 

16 hours ago, freddy j said:

Great work !  Definitely enough to get the fan base charged up.  I am sure that the team office would like this one.  Perhaps this could replace "We Are The Champions" in stadiums around the world!!

I wish *anything* would replace that 🙂

Well, virtually anything...

Edited by Kevin Perry

On 1/30/2023 at 2:34 PM, Kevin Perry said:

Good track by the way - not my thing (musically or sport-wise) but it does what it needs to do well.

Cheers Kevin, not normally my thing, but i keep my eye on school boy team and playing with EDM type vibe is really opening up ideas and helping me with my cakewalk project template, my track and bus templates. Plus ive been using patches in various ways with gate ducking, sidechain and parallel compression to then send to buses. Patches are  powerful to do various things  

1 hour ago, Kevin Perry said:

I know what you mean - I've been churning out tracks recently with one aim being to experiment with different "things", be that effects, automation, Cakewalk features I haven't used much...

Automation is king for so much

1 hour ago, Kevin Perry said:

Especially if you do wacky things with it - I "accidentally" played a reverb parameter in one recent track and it made the particular instrument sound interesting.  So I did it again.  And again. And...

Its good for tail ends with verb or delay on vocals and great for any type of transition from Verse to chorus or breaks. 

On 1/29/2023 at 4:46 PM, Bajan Blue said:

Hi great track , tremendous energy and sounds great

really enjoyed it and the video - great idea from Jesse to pitch it to the club - would sound fabulous blasting around the stadium

Cool

Nigel

Cheers Nigel, means a lot from the quality you put out, i love tinkering, im trying to get this lady on a track, she shy but great voice going to waste 

10 minutes ago, whoisp said:

Its good for tail ends with verb or delay on vocals and great for any type of transition from Verse to chorus or breaks. 

My automation was silly though - change the decay from being in time to being in beats, so there was a crazy jump in the sound that gave a real "twang" from time to time.  Usable in one song ever, I think, but it gave me enough ideas to really go crazy on the rest of the track too.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kevin Perry said:

My automation was silly though - change the decay from being in time to being in beats, so there was a crazy jump in the sound that gave a real "twang" from time to time.  Usable in one song ever, I think, but it gave me enough ideas to really go crazy on the rest of the track too.

Most of the best sounds and FX came from mistakes and hardware break down etc Now you look at dubstep sounds with crazy filters etc doing strange sounds which are getting cut in to pro tracks, especially all the bottom end sub raptor wave type sounds etc which were mistakes back in the day lol

On 1/28/2023 at 5:05 PM, Jesse Screed said:

This is a great question, but I find that I should always stop about 2 steps before I finally do.

I think you should contact the team and pitch this to them.  It would be perfect on the big screen at the stadium with full volume.

I really appreciate the way you always seek to have better mixes.  I learn from your queries on the sub forums.

Keep on seeking!

Thank you Jesse, i like to query to look at the different approaches people take, see what i can add or even take out. Iv'e really been working on my templates which i now realise will probably take about 10 project to achieve my goal.  My project template is 36 track with about 10 buses and a few patches which you can use for sidechain, Para Comp and gating. My track, bus (mix bus too) and pro channel templates are not becoming more consistent that i can tweak which speeds up work flow and hopefully i can then be more relaxed to work on creativity