How to turn off MIDI input in SI Drums

How do I stop SI Drum Kit from responding to MIDI input from my external keyboard (Korg D1). I select the track and I have the choice of various devices and channels. I'd think selecting "None" would stop the drum kit from responding to notes played on the keyboard, which is connected via MIDI port on my Focusrite Scarlett. The keyboard transmits on MIDI channel 1, so I'd think that selecting any other channel from the input channel list for the Scarlett would also work, but it doesn't.

1 hour ago, Patrick McFadden said:

How do I stop SI Drum Kit from responding to MIDI input from my external keyboard (Korg D1). I select the track and I have the choice of various devices and channels. I'd think selecting "None" would stop the drum kit from responding to notes played on the keyboard, which is connected via MIDI port on my Focusrite Scarlett. The keyboard transmits on MIDI channel 1, so I'd think that selecting any other channel from the input channel list for the Scarlett would also work, but it doesn't.

Selecting "None" on the track's MIDI track’s input should prevent SI Drum Kit from responding - even with input echo on.

Are you absolutely sure you do not have any other MIDI tracks (that has your Korg as input) routed to SI Drum Kit?

Note: I just tried it here, and selecting "None" on the track's MIDI track’s input prevented SI Drum Kit from responding to my MIDI controller.

• Like 1

Selecting "None" on the MIDI track’s input prevented SI Drum Kit from responding to my MIDI controller.

You could also try selecting the "Virtual Controller" or something else that you are not using as input. That also works here.

Edited by abacab

Thanks Promidi and abacab! Forgot about the midi track that goes along with the instrument track.

Regarding selecting "None" as the input, the user guide (under topic: "Recording specific ports and channels") says this:

"None. This option actually sets the Input field to Omni. With this setting the track will record any MIDI input coming in on any enabled port (MIDI interface input driver) on any channel."  Seems counterintuitive.

Setting the input of a track in the DAW to None causes the track to ignore all input.

An instrument track is a presentation of an audio+MIDI track pair. Both tracks actually exist in the project but are displayed as a single track with MIDI input and audio output controls.

Keep in mind, if an instrument/MIDI track inputs is set to None and the track input echo get enabled, the track input changes to either:

• All Inputs - Omni - this causes the track to listen to all incoming MIDI data from internal and external sources.
  • All External Inputs - Omni - this causes the track to listen to all external sources.

In this case, internal MIDI sources are plug-ins capable of sending MIDI data. External sources are any hardware or software outside of the DAW sending MIDI data to it.

By default, Always Echo Current MIDI Track is enabled. This will change instrument/MIDI inputs automatically if the track gets focus. I like to turn this off and manually control input echo.

• Like 2