Cakewalk crashing to desktop.

sean72

For some reason, when I imported a short piano MIDI track that I had created amd exported from Sonar 8.5. The MIDI track is binding itself to other MIDI tracks in the project. In this case the Drums MIDI track, so when I drag the piano clip it drags the entire drum clip along with it. 

Even stranger, when I output an audio track from that MIDI via bounce to tracks.... dragging that audio track also dragged the MIDI drum track around. 

As of now I can not import or draw any new MIDI data without it being linked to the drum track on the timeline, and not allowing me to drag it or even copy/paste it without moving the drum track. WTH kind of crazy 🤪 is this? 

EDIT: It's worse than I thought. I can not drag or copy paste ANYTHING audio or MIDI without it being linked to multiple audio tracks and moving them around the timeline. Unless someone has a fix this project is dead and will have to revert to an earlier save and hope this behavior isn't burned in on that one either. 

Now the file crashes when I open it. The entire program CbB shuts down to desktop. WTH happened?? Before it crashed it was asking me if I wanted ro convert audio to MIDI when I simply dragged an audio clip along the timelime, I hit cancel and program crahsed. 

EDIT 2: in case it matters, the clicking and dragging action is like this: Any audio clip or midi clip that I grab and drag will result in all clips in the entire project to the right or left of the Leading Edge of the clip being dragged, they all get moved. If any clips overlap that leading edge line then they are automatically sliced and dragged too. 

Edited by sean72

Yeah, that crashing is definitely not normal.

If this is crashing directly to the desktop, you might be able to force it to give you an error first, which will let you capture a crash dump so the problem can be diagnosed.

In Preferences > File > Initialization File, add ExceptionHandlingSeverity to the Option field, and 7 to the Value field, and press Set. Then restart Cakewalk.

This *should* give you an error message and chance to get a crash dump, and you can get that off to support by following Noel's instructions here:

Edited by Lord Tim