VST Buzz Deal - Tracktion F'em Synth 82% off

cclarry

I really into fm latly , grab the gs 1 emu from xils and finaly took time to dig in the synthclaclier from arturia withc is beatyfull , 

This one looks great , id there a filter ?

listened to some presets in youtube , must be the most boring ones i heard lol ... need to test on my own ...

expectented at least some classic ep  ect , all i heard is boring sequences and dubstep noise...

19 hours ago, Zo said:

This one looks great , id there a filter ?

2 Filter Operators.

[Edit] details from the user guide:

5.7 Filter 1 and 2
On this page, you find the filter and drive controls. To open this page, click on the F1 or F2 selection field in the left section. Each Layer features 2 filters with drive.

As for the Operators, the Filters features hardwired modulations sources as a Cutoff LFO, a Level LFO, a Cutoff Envelope and Level Scaling and finally a Level Envelope.

To hear the effect of a filter and the drive parameter, you need to route an operator/noise generator/sample oscillator signal
through the corresponding filter. This needs to be done in the FM Matrix.

A filter is used in synthesizers to attenuate or emphasize certain frequency ranges of a source signal. Most filter types consist of a pass and a stop band, some have two pass or two stop bands. The pass band is the frequency range where the input signal can pass (almost) unaffected, the stop band is the frequency range that is attenuated, sometimes fully. F-em offers various Filter types abbreviated LP, BP, HP or BS, followed by a number denoting the slope in decibel per octave. F-em offers two filter stages that are arranged in serial wiring.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2

I guess some folks are expecting Yamaha DX-7 sounds. F.'em can easily do that, but it's not the focus of the factory library. Devs are trying to showcase where FM can evolve to when it's not encumbered by the limitations of the vintage FM synths.

The devs stated that if you are familiar with FM8 by NI, you should be able to navigate the F.'em UI alright.

• Like 1

I listened to a couple of videos showing off the plugin, and I happened across the expansion pack Cyberpunk by Tracktion.  Those presets sounded impressive, and quite different from what the factory preset demo sounded like (of what I heard).  The previous comment about FM evolving beyond vintage FM reminded me of it.

However, the preset expansion pack is $50!  That's a LOT of money for 120 presets, no matter how good they sound!

8 minutes ago, TW5011 said:

However, the preset expansion pack is $50!  That's a LOT of money for 120 presets, no matter how good they sound!

If you get the synth for $26, plus an expansion that suits you, you are still getting a lot of value for $76. :)

The synth itself lists for $179, but occasionally goes on a rare deep sale like this. Other sales are more like only 50% off. This is a good opportunity to grab a powerful FM synth with more capabilities than other FM synths. If you can find the time and are so inclined, this one might be a good synth to get into sound design with.

As far as the price of content packs, it appears to me that Tracktion is trying to pull in more revenue from content, while offering discounts on their flagship software.

1 hour ago, antler said:

You don't like the sound, or the UI?

Both , it s really powerfull , but not inviting at all ....and i m not a fan of fx and filter ....

under than that i made some great presets today but i much prefer korg opsix , while way less powerfull when it come to number of soundsources ( and the filter isnt that crazy also) , it sounds superb and has options to make a sound complex in its movemrnet and behavior ... 

1 hour ago, abacab said:

I guess some folks are expecting Yamaha DX-7 sounds. F.'em can easily do that, but it's not the focus of the factory library. Devs are trying to showcase where FM can evolve to when it's not encumbered by the limitations of the vintage FM synths.

The devs stated that if you are familiar with FM8 by NI, you should be able to navigate the F.'em UI alright.

Never got my head around fm 8 but f’em is quite easy when you understand , but still the modulation i didn t went deep into it ..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abacab said:

If you get the synth for $26, plus an expansion that suits you, you are still getting a lot of value for $76.

Valid point.  Also, I did some searching and found that last year the sound packs were 50% off at one point, so that makes it a better deal (and this is the deals forum, so I've got to save the most money possible).  :)

Just now, TW5011 said:

Valid point.  Also, I did some searching and found that last year the sound packs were 50% off at one point, so that makes it a better deal (and this is the deals forum, so I've got to save the most money possible).  :)

So get the synth deal now, and watch out for another 50% off sale on sound packs. Maximum savings! ;)

Make Larry proud!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael A.D. said:

Here's my favorite FM synth.  Yeah it costs $50, but it's absolutely fantastic!

https://www.plogue.com/products/chipsynth-ops7.html

I'm sure that's a great one if you are looking for a recreation of the DX7.

F.'em was deliberately trying to avoid recreating yet another hardware emulation and demonstrate that FM synthesis itself is much larger in scope.  The DX7 is the most popular example of vintage FM synthesis, and there is nothing wrong with that.