Cables

bitflipper

At last Saturday's gig I had a MIDI cable fail. I didn't have a spare. That's on me. But in my defense I have never had a 5-pin DIN cable fail. Ever. This particular one was 40 years old. 

So for the first time since the 80's I was ordering a new MIDI cable. Well, I was already on the Sweetwater site ordering a new XLR cable to replace the latest victim of my puppy. That  one hurt, it was one of my extra-long ones that go between the mixer and active PA speakers. Went ahead and ordered a pack of 2.

2 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

I hope your gig went fine in spite of the bad cable.

Actually, nobody noticed. It just meant I couldn't layer synths and had to revert to using both hands on separate keyboards. Unfortunately, it also meant I had no sustain pedal on one of the synths, since I use one pedal and pass it through to the other keyboard via MIDI. I also use MIDI to drive a VoiceLive box that lets us create 8-part harmonies, 4 real voices over 4 faked ones. It's great on doo-wop stuff.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kevin Perry said:

Er...drummer, surely?

I resemble that remark :D

I'm the drummer. Drums were my first instrument, and personally, I think every pop musician should learn to play at least basic drums and the first 12 rudiments. That give the musician a good idea of the drummers job, and how to interact with the drums better.

I also play sax (my primary instrument), flute, wind synth, guitar, bass, and keyboard synths. So I do my own backing tracks. I find them better than karaoke tracks, as I can put them in our key, tailor them to our needs, and if I make them myself, I know every chord, and every chord substitution so when the solo hog (that's me) gets a chance to improvise, he knows the song inside out and can play a better solo.

I also use those skills to make and sell aftermarket styles for the Band-in-a-Box app.

But I repeat: Rule number 1 - it's always a cable.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Notes ♫