Best New Processor

Thinking about my next build, this i5 2500 has done me proud for 7yrs+ but one of the two motherboard dimm sockets has stopped working so time to start putting my list together for the next machine.

I am interested to know especially from anyone on the Dev side of Bandlab  which type of type of processor features are best suited to CBB 

Is it better to go for more cores ?  Or less cores with a faster base clock speed ? 

How important are the number of threads ? I can get a 12 thread hex core Ryzen for about the same price as a 6 core 6 thread Intel..so which is CBB optimised best for ?

Do modern intergrated graphics like the Intel 630 do a good job

Are CPU turbo speeds important or will I be needing to switch that feature off ?

I will be looking for the best bang per buck , I never buy high end processors.  I don't record a lot but I do use a lot of VI's to make tracks for TV so my preference is to run at an ASIO buffer size of 256 so everything still feels fairly snappy.  A top end i5 or one of the new Ryzen 5 3600x perhaps.

CBB is the main use case for my machine, I don't game or video edit. Just normal browsing, and making music.

Thanks

19 hours ago, CosmicDolphin said:

Is it better to go for more cores ?  Or less cores with a faster base clock speed ? 

It depends, its not black and white.  It depends on the clock speed and the amount of cores you are comparing. For example, if the clock speed is just slightly lower, I go for the 'more cores and lower clock speed. BUT, if the clock speed is a lot lower, i may go with the faster speed and less cores. 

19 hours ago, CosmicDolphin said:

Do modern intergrated graphics like the Intel 630 do a good job

They should but it depends on the big picture of all your PC specs. The video card is a piece of the puzzle.

• Like 1

For DAW purposes, clock-speed is absolutely the single most critical factor.

Not all processes in a DAW can be multi-threaded.

ie: Playing/monitoring in realtime thru an AmpSim plugin at 96k using a 32-sample ASIO buffer size is not something that lends itself to being heavily multi-threaded.

Virtual instruments like UVI Falcon only use a single core.

In a perfect scenario, you want highest possible clock-speed... AND the highest number of cores you can get.

What you absolutely *don't* want to do is choose more cores... at the expense of significant clock-speed.

This is why Xeon CPUs (even though they're more expensive) are usually a significant performance hit compared to standard CPUs.

They have more cores... but typically significantly lower clock-speed.

Right now, this is why the Intel i9-9900k is such a great "sweet-spot" for a DAW.

With the proper configuration, you can lock all 8 cores (16 processing threads) at 5GHz.

That's super high clock-speed... and 16 virtual cores (8 physical cores).

With quality air-cooling, the 9900k will do the above while running near dead-silent.

To best the 9900k, you have to go high-end socket-2066 i9 (which is $1400+ just for the CPU).

Edited by Jim Roseberry
  • Like 4
  • Great Idea 1