EXPORT FILE - MASTER CHANNEL PARAMETERIZATION

Milton Sica

Question

Is it possible to parameterize a task so that the Master channel, even if it has another configuration in the volume project (DB), is done in another amount of DB?

Example:
In the project the Master channel is set to 6 db, but when exporting I would like to do it with -6 db.

Does this already exist or should this be a request for a new feature?

12 answers to this question

i use a PRINT stereo buss which is fed from the MASTER via a pre-fader send (level=0) and its output is set to None. then in the export i select the PRINT buss instead of MASTER. I can set the PRINT level independent of the MASTER. The level for PRINT could be via the send or the volume on PRINT.

Note that MASTER has a light 2-buss compressor w/ 2-3db swing on the meter for some light glue.

image.png.67a5aa04eee35fda1f1d335260d0f28e.png image.png.e347e51b425b41295ae7c661e07da819.png

Edited by fossile
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, fossile said:

i use a PRINT stereo buss which is fed from the MASTER via a pre-fader send (level=0) and its output is set to None. then in the export i select the PRINT buss instead of MASTER. I can set the PRINT level independent of the MASTER. The level for PRINT could be via the send or the volume on PRINT.

Note that MASTER has a light 2-buss compressor w/ 2-3db swing on the meter for some light glue.

image.png.67a5aa04eee35fda1f1d335260d0f28e.png image.png.e347e51b425b41295ae7c661e07da819.png

Yes. This works great.

Thank you.

27 minutes ago, sjoens said:

Couldn't you just reset the Main faders for export?

This could even be done directly on the MASTER channel at each export, but the solution I was looking for was given to me above and it works perfectly, as it allows me to keep the MASTER volume at 0 Db, but export as -6 Db.

This is justified, as I use a project to record, edit and mix and another project where I do the MASTERING.

For my use case it is justified, therefore, when exporting with -6 Db I gain more Low End for the MASTERING plugins to act in their essences.

I suggest you try this technique, because, to my ears, it has sounded much better in the final result.

1 hour ago, sjoens said:

👍

As far as "sounding better", I have yet to get any mixdown to sound as good as the mixer's live output regardless of volume settings. :S

I don't know if I understood well what you said. I always start my MIXES using the PINK NOISE technique, with a PINK NOISE plugin on the Master channel. I have had good results with it.

On 1/24/2023 at 6:56 PM, sjoens said:

Pink noise = Tape hiss.  ...or is that white noise? It's all gray to me. :D

White noise is all frequencies at the same volume.

Pink noise is all frequencies with the volumes of each frequency adjusted to "how we hear them" - i.e. we don't perceive loudness in each octave the same, so pink noise adjusts for this so it sounds like all frequencies at the same volume.

• Like 1

when i do use this technique - i use one of my -12db pink noise files imported into an audio track, output to master buss, loop it (make sure it has proper beat count), and set it to -13db - which turns out to be -14db overall. then adjust each track - initial set to 0, and each buss set to -inf. one at a time raise until you just hear it, then mute it and the next, repeat until all done, then unmute them and make some final tweaks before turning off the noise. most times i find the mix to be pretty close and now ready for some tweak via automation. one thing - after using noise, take a walk for some beverage or bio break before re-listening as the noise means you should "re-calibrate" your ears...

• Great Idea 1