[FIXED] Snap! Crackle! Pop!

sjoens

Lately CbB has been fidgeting with my audio making it unusable. I've gone back to using Sonar Platinum x32 which (currently) has no issues with my interface.

I've made all the audio settings I'm aware of identical in each one, so I don't know what's going on.

Edited by sjoens

Frequency = All the time!

Behringer UFX1204 multichannel interface. 4+ yrs old. Worked fine with CbB until I put it on a new Windows 11 laptop.

I found the latest drivers to be buggy so have been using the previous ones forever. The latest ones work slightly better on Win11 than Win10 but still cause audio to stutter in CbB.

Sonar Plat x32 & x64 have no issues either way, so unless there's a setting I can tweak in CbB, I won't be able to use it on this system.

Turns out this interface is not compatible with WASAPI. However, I noticed Enable MMCSS for ASIO Driver was not checked in Preferences, so I enabled it and it seems to eliminate most if not all the stuttering.

WDM/KS seems to work ok too.

If this works then there is something different between Sonar and CbB's handling audio. Sonar Plat has MMCSS but not the Enable for ASIO Drivers check box.

Edited by sjoens

MMCSS for ASIO was not an option in SONAR. It was added to CbB because a few ASIO drivers prefer to tweak thread priority on their own and thus conflict with MMCSS. Under SONAR, MMCSS was applied to ASIO by default.

I suspect the difference you're looking for is going to turn out to be between the processes each computer is running, and likely it'll be something unconnected to audio directly. It's not that CbB handles buffering any differently.

Turns out in CbB on Windows 11, audio is scratchy/glitchy when only the MMCSS box is checked. If both MMCSS and Enable for ASIO are checked, audio works fine. And if neither one is checked, audio works fine.

Edited by sjoens
  • Like 1