Problems with Copy Paste

Astral

Hi there

I have multiple issues with Copy Paste. It was noted first at the end of Sonar age and persists with all new updates. Often it resolves with restarting computer, but today I can't fix one of the forms of this problem.

Usually, when I Copy something, it would not Paste. Yes, I have right track selected, I click Paste and nothing happens. Sometime, if I use Paste Special, I can't get it back to regular Paste- it just keeps the same parameters from Paste Special, even when I use Paste (regular). Also in Paste Special- if I want to copy something 4 times with 4 measures in between- how do I tell it to? That setting in the middle, I set it to 4 measures, but it pastes wrong. If my clip is 8 bard, do I put 4 bars for interval or 12 bard as 8+4 to make 4 measures between clips?

Now today the problem is totally new. Cant paste MIDI track. If I am looking at this track, it looks normal, I colored it in Blue, so it is blue. But when I expand "Takes" view, it has 2 takes, both contain clips but both appear gray, as if they were muted. But I can still Mute it and then it stops playing, Unmute and it playing. The notes show up in Piano Roll. But takes tracks gray (not blue) and I can't Copy it. Initially, I had only one clip (made with 2 takes). I copied it and with great difficulties Pasted it like 8 times. I could not set it to paste with certain interval, so I manually Pasted it like 10 times. Then I kept first clip (original) and in Piano Roll was working with 2nd copied clip which had notes in Piano roll, so I deleted some and entered new notes. Now Take tracks are gray and would not copy. I select. It is very difficult to select just one track. I make this track Active, and select in Piano roll. I expect only notes in that track get highlighted, but ALL TRACKS frequently get highlighted as if I wanted to copy all tracks.  So eventually I am able to highlight just clips in Take. Everything is white- selected. Click Copy. Then want to click Paste, but Paste is grayed out as if nothing was copied. Also I found some notes in another track, not sure if this was new part or old attempts to paste from previous session.

Another issue: What is it fat white vertical line on the track? Looks like Split, but not Split. This is on another track. How did I created it and what is it for? Looks like track was playing up to that point and then becomes silent. I fixed it somehow, but the line is still there. 

Thanks. Frustrated. It almost not usable! 

9 hours ago, Astral said:

Hi there

I have multiple issues with Copy Paste. It was noted first at the end of Sonar age and persists with all new updates. Often it resolves with restarting computer, but today I can't fix one of the forms of this problem.

Usually, when I Copy something, it would not Paste. Yes, I have right track selected, I click Paste and nothing happens. Sometime, if I use Paste Special, I can't get it back to regular Paste- it just keeps the same parameters from Paste Special, even when I use Paste (regular). Also in Paste Special- if I want to copy something 4 times with 4 measures in between- how do I tell it to? That setting in the middle, I set it to 4 measures, but it pastes wrong. If my clip is 8 bard, do I put 4 bars for interval or 12 bard as 8+4 to make 4 measures between clips?

Now today the problem is totally new. Cant paste MIDI track. If I am looking at this track, it looks normal, I colored it in Blue, so it is blue. But when I expand "Takes" view, it has 2 takes, both contain clips but both appear gray, as if they were muted. But I can still Mute it and then it stops playing, Unmute and it playing. The notes show up in Piano Roll. But takes tracks gray (not blue) and I can't Copy it. Initially, I had only one clip (made with 2 takes). I copied it and with great difficulties Pasted it like 8 times. I could not set it to paste with certain interval, so I manually Pasted it like 10 times. Then I kept first clip (original) and in Piano Roll was working with 2nd copied clip which had notes in Piano roll, so I deleted some and entered new notes. Now Take tracks are gray and would not copy. I select. It is very difficult to select just one track. I make this track Active, and select in Piano roll. I expect only notes in that track get highlighted, but ALL TRACKS frequently get highlighted as if I wanted to copy all tracks.  So eventually I am able to highlight just clips in Take. Everything is white- selected. Click Copy. Then want to click Paste, but Paste is grayed out as if nothing was copied. Also I found some notes in another track, not sure if this was new part or old attempts to paste from previous session.

Another issue: What is it fat white vertical line on the track? Looks like Split, but not Split. This is on another track. How did I created it and what is it for? Looks like track was playing up to that point and then becomes silent. I fixed it somehow, but the line is still there. 

Thanks. Frustrated. It almost not usable! 

Have you tried the Early Access build posted on the forum? We've been working extensively with the copy/paste code in this update. 

10 hours ago, Astral said:

This sounds like the enhanced edit feature invoked by 0 on the number pad.

• Like 1

Just went through some serious frustration over the Cut/Paste thing as well.  Project work is going along just  fine then off in the weeds it goes. Copy MIDI from track

13, paste it to the end of 13, it lands on audio track 12, or on MIDI track 14.  WTF! Events like this have happened to me a lot.  As Astral says restarting CW clears this up but I'd like to know what I did to create this.

Scook say enhanced edit might do this. How can I tell if it's switched on?

TIA,

I go thru copy and paste issues often and have for years.  I usually don't have to reboot the computer, just exit CbB and open it up again.   A thing that use to work in the past (not sure if it still applies)  empty/delete all the files in the pic cashe folder.

Good luck...

As Scook said the vertical line (in a MIDI track in my project) is a result of Enhanced Editing switched on. I was able to replicate that behavior. Copy/Paste might be affected by Enhanced Editing.

I'll be  aware of this next time the issue pops up.

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 3:43 PM, davet said:

Copy MIDI from track 13, paste it to the end of 13, it lands on audio track 12, or on MIDI track 14

This could also be due to Cakewalks Track Focus vs Track Selection.

You can be working on Midi track 13 but have Audio Track 12 selected. Just because you make a selection on track 12 doesn't mean it is selected, it just means you have focus on that track.

Make certain the track you are pasting to IS selected. This can be achieved by visually inspecting the track widget to make sure it is illuminated.

On 7/24/2019 at 12:12 AM, Astral said:

Sometime, if I use Paste Special, I can't get it back to regular Paste- it just keeps the same parameters from Paste Special, even when I use Paste (regular).

A lot of users find this to be unexpected/unwelcome behavior, but it's working as intended. Paste Special is the how you access paste options, and changing an option persists for all subsequent pastes until you change the option back with Paste Special.  Personally I find more often than not that I want the changed paste options to persist for at least one more paste so, in the long run, it saves time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, David Baay said:

Personally I find more often than not that I want the changed paste options to persist for at least one more paste so, in the long run, it saves time.

I have to agree as well. At first I was puzzled by this behavior and it is tiresome when you are pasting different subsequent variations each time you use Special Paste, but after a while, it makes life easier when you have a ton of "same type Paste specials" in a row. Its a trade off with more benefits to keeping changes stored. That's for me anyway.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2019 at 12:12 AM, Astral said:

Also in Paste Special- if I want to copy something 4 times with 4 measures in between- how do I tell it to? That setting in the middle, I set it to 4 measures, but it pastes wrong. If my clip is 8 bard, do I put 4 bars for interval or 12 bard as 8+4 to make 4 measures between clips?

Regarding the above question in the old original post. I just checked this out, and it appears to have a bug. You have to add 1 to the number of measures you would expect to enter. So for the above case,  where you want the iterations pasted every 12 measures, you would set the 'Interval' at 13:01.

Thanks for response, however, when I click Edit >Paste Special (or use keyboard Ctrl+Alt+V) nothing happens. There is no options window popping up. Is there a setting somewhere that I can adjust/change that will correct this? Again, in Sonar Platinum, the options Window will popup when I Edit>Paste Special. 

• 1 month later...

I'm rebooting this topic because I still cannot get the Paste Options window to popup when I hit Paste Special or even Paste. When I open my Sonar Platinum project,  I can select an empty Midi track, click on Paste Special and immediately the Paste Options window opens  and I can select start time, blend old with new, replace, etc. Voila! the midi track that I exported from Finale inserts into the empty Midi Track.

When I open a Cakewalk project and do the exact same steps, nothing happens. No Paste Options window. No Midi inserted. Nothing. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? Is this a feature in Cakewalk that I don't know or understand how it works? Please help me if you can or direct me on how to contact some support from the Cakewalk people. Thank you.

On 9/11/2019 at 1:11 PM, David Baay said:

Make sure you successfully copied something into your paste buffer. Paste can't operate on nothing. Right offhand, I don't know of any other cause of the the Paste Special dialog failing to come up.

I find selecting the 'Selection' tool before copying and pasting stops the surprises.