John the Lurker

John Vere

I had an addiction I needed to kick. Posting on this forum. Back in November, to kick the habit, I deleted my Cakewalk Form Bookmark and that was it. No withdrawals or late night trauma.  That was easy. 

I thought my time would be better spent actually using Cakewalk now that I had the beast fully under my control and continuing to produce videos about Cakewalk .  Making  those tutorials about features I had never bothered to explore before  put my learning curve was at 76 degrees.  I feel the videos are helping a lot more people that I was reaching here. And it was getting frustrating as the new generation are not as engaged as we old farts were so the forum made me feel like most of my answers were talking to the wind.   

In doing research  for my videos typing in questions would often open this forum and like today I would see I had some PM's and then I also found that @Starship Krupa    A member I highly respect,  had tagged me in a thread. I didn't want to go off topic in the thread so figured the good ol' coffee house is a nice safe place to hide now. 

Here is part of his post I wish to respond to. 

Approaching BandLab for any kind of promo money is a good way to be disappointed. It's just not how they roll.

As far as why YouTubers not being around the forum, well, unfortunately, it's apparently not even worth it for them to announce new content here, as so few hits come from this forum (or any, for that matter). That's according to @John Vere of Cactus Studios fame, who remains a stalwart forum participant. @AdK Studios is the only YouTuber who still bothers to announce new videos in the Tutorials section. It's sad. Not even XelOhh posts announcements here any more. 

This is so true. And say what you will about Facebook < I personally avoid it if I can,  it is were all of our potential new form members are hanging out. It's a terrible format which I need not explain but that is where I post my videos when I publish them. I will have over 100 views by the end of the second day. My analytics  show that it's about 40% coming from Facebook and 50% from subscribers and then 10% are keyword searches etc. 

There are 5 Facebook groups I post the videos to and I sneak the odd one onto Mike's page so that #6.  I have to check those pages for notifications and sometimes get sucked back into the question and answer vortex.

So I'm a forum lurker now and once in a while  I'll check my notifications and PM's as well as I might scan through the main forum and Q&A . I see nothing has changed and people are getting top quality help.

I got a nice new mike for Christmas  a SM 7B and so I'm on a mission to redo 30 songs vocal tracks. I also grabbed the upgraded to Melodyne Editor and looking forward to surgically fixing a few guitar chord boners. 

If anyone is interested in what I'm up to this is my new playlist I started.  

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7YqVth30eGuFWMs-8myWkFMJBrEnPU9b

• Like 3

hello john the lurker, it is true what you say.  For me, I stay because I get some laughs from the CH, some great links to music vids, and people in the song forum click on my links, and maybe even listen, and maybe respond.

Then there are the real helpful members who know Cakewalk and will help in a jam.  Glad you found the move in your favor.

18 minutes ago, Jesse Screed said:

real helpful members who know Cakewalk and will help in a jam. 

^^^This^^^^^

How's it going John! Been a while ol boy. I was wondering about you the other day. I too am not posting as much as I use to (unless I am bored at work !). JUst trying to get all my stuff together for a final "product" if I can even call it that. Been hanging here in the CH more than anything as of late.

I will start watching your videos. I could use some refreshers and new outlook on some features.

[edit] Just watched the Multiband video. Nice, I liked that. BTW, I have always pronounced Sonitus as "So-nite-us". I have heard others pronounce it the way you do. I was wondering how everyone else does it?

Edited by Grem

2 hours ago, Grem said:

[edit] Just watched the Multiband video. Nice, I liked that. BTW, I have always pronounced Sonitus as "So-nite-us". I have heard others pronounce it the way you do. I was wondering how everyone else does it?

I actually had just finished the video and while playing it back for proofing heard my self saying " Son -tin-us "  every time. I had to practice saying it the way it looks but I could be dead wrong  and oh well, too bad. If you want a real laugh watch # 4 and  listen to how I enunciate Kotelnikov. ( a well known freebie compressor)  I live in a community where there are a lot of people who originated from Russia . 

Funny that album cover.  When it came out my friends said I look exactly like him.  I even bought a Buckskin jacket which I still own and it sort of fits me! I think I sing a bit better, just think what Neil could have done with Melodyne handy. 

5 hours ago, SteveStrummerUK said:

you can check out, but you can never leave 😁

YOU LIE

5 hours ago, John Vere said:

Approaching BandLab for any kind of promo money is a good way to be disappointed. It's just not how they roll.

It could be worse

you could be sporting a collar and knee pads

5 hours ago, John Vere said:

As far as why YouTubers not being around the forum, well, unfortunately, it's apparently not even worth it for them to announce new content here, as so few hits come from this forum

all about the hits, HIt me, more, with your belt, your money belt

make me write bad checks😉

John, you know I love you, right?

7 hours ago, Grem said:

I have always pronounced Sonitus as "So-nite-us"

Hmm, that sound like an illness to me. "The girl with Sonitus goes by." 😂

I pronounce the name as SAW-nih-tus. Sorta Latin. I guess it could also be SO-nih-tus. Or SON-it-us, as in "we have met the enemy, and son, it us."

10 hours ago, John Vere said:

A member I highly respect

Mutual, John. Means a lot.

Your hiatus was a blip. I noticed that you'd been quiet, but figured that you'd be back.

My hope is that even with the ebb of participation in online forums, the information that we provide will be of use to people doing Google searches. I know that the old, archived forum is still helpful to me at times in this way.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Jesse Screed said:

@John Vere

Hello John, after reading my comment about hits I realized that is sounded rude.  I would like to apologize for posting that.  I could have worded it better. 

You deserve compensation for all of your work.  I hope for you to have all the success in the world.  😃

Well I'm a long way away from seeing any money from You tube. I refuse to do the " 10 ways to make money with You Tube" craapo. Watch Mo work the crowd and you'll see what I mean. I get a lot of positive comments and e mails from people who appreciate I don't babble for 2 - 5minutes before getting on topic but it would seem that sort of stuff makes you into a You Tube Movie star and you therefore get paid.  As a long time gigging musician I guess I'm used to not getting paid.    

Put your hand up if you remember a movie called the "Groove Tube!" In  the intro was this talking puppet and they very slowly they zoomed in... Anyway Cakewalk is not exactly a hot topic compared to things like Cute Cats or squirrel catapults. 

Edited by John Vere

When I saw the thread title I thought it was going to be about the person that I am not allowed to refer to and a certain computer file location that I'm not allowed to mention.

Phew, just as well it wasn't or I might have been tempted......

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, paulo said:

When I saw the thread title I thought it was going to be about the person that I am not allowed to refer to and a certain computer file location that I'm not allowed to mention.

Phew, just as well it wasn't or I might have been tempted......

LOL!!! Well put!

• Thanks 1