Knob Off Microsoft

Wibbles

I turned on my computer this morning to find it's boot up got stuck at a screen telling me I was so incredibly lucky that I could upgrade to Windows 11. After staring at the screen for awhile I eventually found a small button hidden away at the bottom of the screen to keep Windows 10. Click.

Then another screen telling me I was so incredibly lucky that I could upgrade to Windows 11.

And then another screen telling me I was so incredibly lucky that I could upgrade to Windows 11.

Do Microsoft think I changed my mind in the milliseconds between the first and second screen or the second and third? B*stards.

And they act like they own my computer. B*stards.

At least you have the option to refuse, those of us stuck on perfectly good i7700 processors are deemed unworthy by the Microsoft CPU Police.

Not that I mind staying on W10 for now, I just object to being forced into an upgrade earlier than I might have because those CPUs don't happen to be fitted to Surface Pros - funny coincidence that...

• Like 1

Ok, ok!  I'll (try to) be helpful! 😁

Download the free version of Glary Utilities here: https://www.glarysoft.com/glary-utilities/download/

Install and feel free to run the 1-Click Maintenance scan if you'd like (it's pretty awesome!).

Then, click on the Advanced Tools menu tab (on the right side).

In the middle you'll see a grouping called System Control.  You'll want to click on the Startup Items link under that (should be the first link).

Take a look at everything that is set to automatically start upon boot-up (Startup Programs).  You may find some things that are just wasting resources, but you should also find whatever is running to show you that upgrade annoyance.  The second place to check is the next tab over called Scheduled Tasks.

Whatever is constantly causing that upgrade pop-up has to be in one or both of those areas!  Just disable it and you should be good to go! 😉👍

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SteveStrummerUK said:

Microsoft: But Wibbs, this one goes to eleven.

Wibbs: **** off you absolute ****** ****** ***** son of a ******-****** ****** *****

The Windows Annoyance Tactic? 🤔

The Offer Still Sucks Everyone's Rationality! 😜

4 minutes ago, paulo said:

This isn't 2019 you know. You can get injections that stop you from getting viruses now. Are you stupid or something?

Careful Paulo!  My joke thread about using a gun (also an effective way to never get another virus) was deleted due to triggered snowflakes!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I upgraded to Win11 and have no problems with it. I did notice 2 differences.

1) some cosmetic changes to the GUI

2) I can no longer move the taskbar to the top of the screen

Other than that, all my apps work as if I was still on Win10.

Of course, that's just my experience YMMV

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

2 hours ago, Wibbles said:

Any utility which claims to speed up my PC goes straight onto the Do Not Install list.

Normally true, but definitely does not apply here!  For years doing IT consulting we've used this utility.  I paid for the Professional version, but what I explained to you is exactly what we have done on hundreds of client computers without any issue (except that their computers work better).

I do check my start up programs and task scheduler every so often. My laptop tends to boot up in about 10 seconds anyway.

This is just Microsoft being bum holes. There are plenty of reports of Microsoft doing much worse when it comes to foisting Windows 11 on users.

But thanks for the suggestions.

15 hours ago, SteveStrummerUK said:

Microsoft: But Wibbs, this one goes to eleven.

Wibbs: **** off you absolute ****** ****** ***** son of a ******-****** ****** *****

I have the ability to get five "f*cks" in a four word sentence.