Alesis Nitro Not Triggering MIDI

My Alesis Nitro does not trigger any midi sounds in Cakewalk or any software. I use Addictive Drums but have also tried other drum kit plugins within Cakewalk. My computer recognizes the Nitro and installs the drivers. I've tried different USB cables and mappings. Nothing has helped. It was working awhile back. Not sure when it stopped either.

My midi controller keyboard will trigger the drums just fine. 

Update: The issue is solved!

I was using USB 2.0 ports (I think) and switched to the one labeled super speed which I think represents USB 3.0 on this motherboard. I watched a YouTube video that said these drum kits don't usually like USB 2.0 ports and that was the key. I'm okay for now with this. Now I'll try recording and see if I can make that work too.

I recently experienced Cakewalk not responding to a USB MIDI controller that has faithfully worked very well for a couple of years. The controller was still recognized by Windows, other DAWs, and even MIDI-OX. Just no response at all in Cakewalk.

After restarting the controller and Cakewalk did not work, I finally got it working again by unchecking all of the MIDI devices in Cakewalk preferences, saving, and restarting Cakewalk. Then when I re-enabled the MIDI devices in Cakewalk all was working again! Weird!

Edit: I found my culprit! Apparently the Cakewalk MIDI devices and the Control Surfaces settings interact. I had previously set up my Arturia KeyLab MkII as a MIDI controller and a Control Surface in Cakewalk. This device has a MIDI in/out 1 port that controls keyboard note on/offs, etc., plus a MIDI in/out 2 port that handles control surface messages. All of these ports (4)need to be enabled BEFORE adding the control surface!

Somehow the control surface ports in the Cakewalk preferences defaulted (after working correctly for a long time) to the MIDI in/out 1 ports for the keys, and whenever I enabled the MIDI in/out 2 ports in device preferences, the keys would stop working. Solution: went into control surfaces and changed the MIDI ports for this controller back to MIDI in/out 2. I'm not sure why this happened, except that I recently added a KORG NanoPad 2 to my setup. 🤪

Edited by abacab