Roland Juno Stage .ins file! Help, i need this please

Riva

I searched the entire google and Juno Stage forums, but I didn't find anyone who had the Cakewalk ins file ... I just can't change the groups within each midi track in Sonar, and that complicates the lives of those looking to produce a lot. with this synthesizer ... does anyone have in your database to share? I thank you very much

"USER, PRST, GM, XP-A, XP-B - Selects the group to which the desired patch belongs."

I have some experience with making *.ins files for some Roland gear a few decades ago.

I was curious about your quandary and took a casual look at the User Manual.  Sysex?  CC?  RPN?  NRPN? Bank Switching + Program Change?

From page 193:   USER (User Group)User 1–128 (CC#0 = 87, CC#32 = 0 ), User129–256 (CC#0 = 87, CC#32 = 1 )

From page 194: PRST (Preset Group) Preset 001–128 (CC#0= 87, CC#32 =64 PC=1-128), Preset 129–256 (CC#0= 87, CC#32 =65 PC=1–128)

Bank switching (CC#0, CC#32, followed by the Patch/Program Change) would seem to work if that's what you are trying to switch. If so, look at Roland *.ins files for a guide on how to do that.   As for the others listed (GM, XP-A, XP-B), I am not sure if those are done by what used to be called mode changes in  some Roland gear from a few decades ago., possibly requiring SysEx commands.

Hope this helps.

Steve

I have an extended Roland.ins file (attached below) that includes the definitions for the Juno G/Gi. That synth is pretty similar to the Stage so it may work (may need some modifications).

It has a ton of banks defined for the Juno G. At the very least, it should be a good starting point to make your own INS file.

Roland.ins

I looked for my old *.ins files and found I also had a Roland.ins from 2011.  It has this:

[JUNO-STAGE PRESET 513-640]
0=513:Mini Growl
1=514:Evangelized
2=515:Air Lead
3=516:Juno-D Maj7
4=517:Sweet House
5=518:Periscope
6=519:5th Voice
7=520:HPF Sweep
8=521:BPF Saw
9=522:Moon Synth

That looks like what's on page 196 of the June Stage manual I looked at:

Preset 513–640 (CC#0= 87, CC#32 =68 PC=1–128), Preset 641-768 (CC#0= 87, CC#32 =69 PC=1–128)

513Mini Growl

514Evangelized

515Air Lead

516Juno-D Maj7

517Sweet House

518Periscope

5195th Voice

520HPF Sweep

1 hour ago, MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve) said:

"USER, PRST, GM, XP-A, XP-B - Selects the group to which the desired patch belongs."

I have some experience with making *.ins files for some Roland gear a few decades ago.

I was curious about your quandary and took a casual look at the User Manual.  Sysex?  CC?  RPN?  NRPN? Bank Switching + Program Change?

From page 193:   USER (User Group)User 1–128 (CC#0 = 87, CC#32 = 0 ), User129–256 (CC#0 = 87, CC#32 = 1 )

From page 194: PRST (Preset Group) Preset 001–128 (CC#0= 87, CC#32 =64 PC=1-128), Preset 129–256 (CC#0= 87, CC#32 =65 PC=1–128)

Bank switching (CC#0, CC#32, followed by the Patch/Program Change) would seem to work if that's what you are trying to switch. If so, look at Roland *.ins files for a guide on how to do that.   As for the others listed (GM, XP-A, XP-B), I am not sure if those are done by what used to be called mode changes in  some Roland gear from a few decades ago., possibly requiring SysEx commands.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Hi Steve ... Thanks so much for answering ... but this is just the problem, I really don't know how to create the ins file ... I would love to know how to do this, nor would I need to assign all the names of the patches , I just wish I had the option to change banks normally ...

1 hour ago, MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve) said:

48 minutes ago, Variorum said:

I have an extended Roland.ins file (attached below) that includes the definitions for the Juno G/Gi. That synth is pretty similar to the Stage so it may work (may need some modifications).

It has a ton of banks defined for the Juno G. At the very least, it should be a good starting point to make your own INS file.

Roland.ins

so just that ... I don't know how to change an existing ins so that I can properly program each bank, as we do on ins of other assorted synths ... I just get dark, I don't know how I would edit one, not even where to start Thank you very much for your reply!

I edit *.ins files in Notepad, an old windows basic text editor. If the the file Variorum posted has what you need, you shouldn't need to edit it much based on what I saw in the manual and the Roland.ins file I have.  Its just a matter of telling Cakewalk which definition from the file to use.  I can't imagine it's not in the manual since *.ins files and bank switching have been around for decades. 

I will compare Variorum's file with the one I have and the manual I found.  Maybe its a match, ergo no editing needed (if I understand what you are trying to do).

Update # 1: The posted file is the exact same size as the one I have dated Dec 30, 2011. The manual for the June Stage says its from 2008. If that's what you have, its probably the file you are looking for.

Update # 2: Its been many years since I did stuff with Instrument definitions, but maybe this helps:

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR&language=3&help=Instrument_Defs.03.html

Also, from the Cakewalk Reference Guide:

Importing instrument definitions
When you install Cakewalk, a few common instrument definitions are already set up for you and ready to use.
Cakewalk also includes several hundred additional instrument definitions that you can import.

These instrument definitions are stored in text files in your Cakewalk folder, organized largely by manufacturer.

For example, all the instrument definitions for Roland gear are stored in the Roland.ins file; all the instrument
definitions for Yamaha gear are stored in the Yamaha.ins file. The Misc.ins file contains miscellaneous
instrument definitions.

If Cakewalk does not include an instrument definition for your MIDI instrument, you can find additional and
updated instrument definitions on the Downloads section of the Cakewalk website (www.cakewalk.com). Simply
download the files to your Cakewalk folder, unzip if necessary, and import the instrument definitions as described
in “To import instrument definitions” on page 1403.

When you import an instrument definition, it is added to the master instrument definition file Master.ins. The
contents of this file determines the list of instruments that appear in the Assign Instruments dialog box.

To import instrument definitions
1. Go to Edit > Preferences > MIDI - Instruments.
2. Click Define to display the Define Instruments and Names dialog box.
3. Click Import to display the Import Instrument Definitions dialog box.
4. Choose the file that contains instrument definitions for your manufacturer, and click Open. Cakewalk displays
a list of all the instrument definitions in the file.
5. Choose one or more instruments from the list, and click OK.
6. Click Close to close the Define Instruments and Names dialog box.

The instrument definitions you imported should now appear in the Uses Instrument list in the Assign
Instruments dialog box.

Steve

Yes, the June Stage Instrument Definitions are in there for Presets and Rhythms. I didn't see anything about switching what I know of as Modes.

Edited by User 905133
(2) To delete two-year old images; (1) To add more relevant info and screenshots

15 hours ago, Variorum said:

Roland.ins

THANKS for that guys! It´s works here, fine :)))) God bless

16 hours ago, Variorum said:

Yup... Stage is in there. Don't know how I missed that. I'm so old... 👴

Good thing Doc Steve is on the ball :)

I know old!!  In fact, it didn't dawn on me when Riva asked for the file to look through my *.ins files and that I might have a more comprehensive Roland.ins file from 2011 that post-dated all my ancient (but still functioning) Roland gear.  Yeah, I didn't need to look for the Juno Stage manual and read through the MIDI implementation, but it did bring back some fond memories--especially creating *.ins entries for some "Intelligent Arrangers" so I could just "dial-up" styles and other features the "normal" way--i.e., by using Cakewalk's drop down midi track parameters.

Edited by MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve)
"more" inserted before "comprehensive" b/c the file doesn't have definitions for "Intelligent Arrangers" (and maybe other pre-2012 Roland Gear)
  • Meh 1