Upgraded to new machine and having issues

VanAsher

Question

Hoping someone can point me in right direction of what to try/look at.  Just upgraded my machine ( new mobo, cpu, ram and reinstalled new windows,  cakewalk, and all my plugins) 
Now I can’t playback any of my projects without issue. Seems ok when I disable all plugins but as soon as I add a number of them it happens. Doesn’t seem to be one particular plugin, I’ve tried multiple combinations. It will either drop out for a split second randomly or sometimes when I reopen project it’ll be a quick burst of white noise or a crack or pop , anywhere from a minute in between these things or a few seconds- generally one every minute or so though. 
At first I thought maybe it was the PCIe firewire  card i had to purchase to replace the PCI card I was using on old system, but I’m not so sure. I’ve rebuilt an almost exact replica of one of my projects in studio one and it runs rock solid and gained ability to do more as I hoped it would with computer upgrade. That said it seems to be something with cakewalk only as I installed reaper as well and loaded it up with plugins and runs fine too. 
been a cakewalk user for decades so really familiar with it and really don’t wanna have to switch.
System is Win 10 pro 64 bit , Asus Prime z-590-a motherboard, 32gb ram. Pcie (w RME recommended texas instruments chipset) firewire 800/400 card, RME fireface 800 interface (using fw 800 cable/ port from interface to card) driver version 3.125, hardware revision 2.77. Storage drives are ssd. 

I’ve tried all manner  of various buffer settings in cakewalk and in fireface driver- none of which make a difference.  I’ve reset config file. I did a whole reinstall of windows, cakewalk and still same issue. Tried the legacy firewire driver. Can’t figure out what is wrong. Any ideas? 

4 answers to this question

Try Start + run "control powercfg.cpl,,1" (without quotes) and set CPU Min and Max to 100% (Under Processor power management)

I am assuming that the first thing you did before installing CbB that you installed all Windows 10/11 patches.

I am also assuming you installed the latest drivers for all of your hardware (Not just for your Audio interface). I am thinking you did this using manufacturer's websites rather than with Windows updates. While you’re at it, you might as well check you are using the latest versions.

In preferences | Audio | Configuration File try adjusting the following: EnableSetThreadIdealProcessor = False MixThreadCount = {number of cores minus 1} You might like to exit Cakewalk by Bandlab, go to the following folder and make a copy of the AUD.INI file before doing this: %appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core

This may not be as important these days, buy it’s worth a try.  See if disabling C-states and Intel Speedstep helps (This is done in the PC's BIOS and the method varies between PCs)

What Sample rate, bit depth and buffer size are you using?

Other users might have better suggestions than these.

Thanks for your response.  

Your assumptions are correct.  I should mention also have a UAD-2 PCI-e card.  Again doesn't seem to be issue w it in any other DAW. 

I should also mention I am not a super knowledgable computer person. I know just enough to be dangerous (but I understand everything you are suggesting). Perhaps my initial post alerted to that fact. 

CPU min and max already set that way.

Saved the AUD.INI and edited the config file to your suggestions within CbB. 

Will try BIOS setting (disabling C-states and Intel Speedstep)

Sample rate I use is 48K Hz. I do have some projects in 44.1 I should try to see what happens...

Buffer size in ASIO interface panel is 256 but I've tried everything to 512, 1024, 2048. No change

In CbB preferences/Audio/Sync and Caching Playback is at 256KB, but again I've tried everything, no change.

Not sure if any of these matter but also no change to issue with changing synch to trigger and freewheel; unchecking "use Multiprocessing Engine" or "use MMCSS" under Playback and Recording. I'm sure there's a bunch of other things in there I've tried.

I do notice some unknown Other PCI devices in the device manager (see attached screenshot)- could this have something to do with it? I have no PCI slots on the new mobo- only PCI-E (maybe showing my lack of computer knowledge there). And the only hardware I do have is showing in device manager and working properly ( the aforementioned UAD card, the Firewire card, and display adapter- an old ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series- obviously not a gamer)

Unknown devices in device manager.jpg

Edited by VanAsher

If this were my PC, I would want to get those device manager entries sorted so that there are no exclamation triangles.

Did you run all of the motherboard driver software?

Few more things. 

Have you disabled all audio devices that you are not using (onboard and maybe GPU - on my Nvidia GTX960, I have disabled that)

In Device manager, there are “High Definition Audio Controller” entries under “System Devices” - I have disabled those.

To quickly open device manager, Start Run > "devmgmt.msc"

I also make sure that anywhere where audio sample rate, bit depth (and sometimes buffer size) can be set, I make sure they are the same everywhere - including Windows itself.

To quickly open Windows Sound settings, Start Run "mmsys.cpl"

Note:  Do you use WIFI? If so, try disabling that.

Personally, I would not have any enabled WIFI adapters at all on a PC running a DAW.  If I need the PC connected to the internet (Which I have 24/7), I would always opt for wired ethernet.  Some people say that just the internet connection itself can give issues.  However, I have never had any issues (My current PC  configuration as per signature).