WAVES - NLS Non-Linear Summer (FREE - 24 hours only)

Niky Serrano

2 hours ago, dubdisciple said:

Remember when we got 3 console emulation in cakewalk like 10 years ago? Cakewalk did a lot of things ahead of it's time.  I will probably snatch anyway to compare. Thanks

I always prefered the WAVES one (it does let you setup a bus and then easily switch between the options and make adjustments without having to do a track by track).  But liked the Cakewalk idea of having it in the pro-channel with the abilty to set it up across tracks pretty quickly and no seat limits.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dubdisciple said:

We should at least give the guy that provided this the clicks:

I didn't know of this influencer before, but he does a really good job of explaining the plugin's value and how to use it. I didn't have time to watch the whole thing, but I'm definitely going to watch this later. Thanks for sharing it. I find it valuable and will try out his recommendations. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Esteban Villanova said:

Nice! I read that their somewhat similar CLA Mixhub can be a bit heavy.

True, but this is really only a saturation plugin (for lack of better term), where CLA Mixhub is basically a full channel strip

The equivilant would be more like running this plus WAVES E channel on all your tracks.

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Like 2

On 1/20/2023 at 6:26 PM, Brian Walton said:

True, but this is really only a saturation plugin (for lack of better term), where CLA Mixhub is basically a full channel strip

The goal of this plugin is to emulate analog summing ITB and not a full mixer. For this goal the distortion/saturation of the console is the key element.

IMO Waves did a great job here; I like the way the interface of this plugin works and also the sonic results.

The only better implementation IMO is the Mix Engine FX in the Studio One DAW, where compatible plugins (like Softube Tape f.i.) alter the mix engine behavior seamlessly. But unfortunately not all plugins are compatible with it.

1 hour ago, telecode 101 said:

I am still trying to figure out how and where to use it. :(

Most people put the track one either first in the chain on every track or last in the chain on every track.

Then put the bus version on your master bus.  

After that switch between console types on the master bus (assuming you have all the tracks grouped to the same one) to see which flavor you want for your production.  Unless you have it on all tracks and have more than a track or two, the effects are going to be super subtle.  

Each option more or less provides little variations in EQ curves/Saturation/Stereo imaging.  It isn't meant to dramatically alter the sound/mix.

• Like 4