Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 BK022 CPU Cooler

jesse g

Hello All,

Has anyone used this CPU cooler before?  The videos for it look very promising and I do not want to build a new unit using liquid coolers to cool my processor.  Also, if you are a user of this CPU Cooler, will this fit in a mid size case or must you buy a full size ATX case.  I think the total height of the Cooler on the motherboard is about 175 mm, so I have been sizing up computer cases to fit it.

image.png.987bc8e15c526a104c1e3bd346804744.pngimage.png.42f9d516c0dfcb49f77d26de3d17461a.png

Which case are you using with this beast?

Thanks

I am putting this in with an i9 12900K processor.  The case size has to measure over 220 mm in width to take account for the Fan Cooler being on top of the motherboard. I am also adding a third be quiet fan to go on the rear for a total of 3 fans.

I have a fear that liquid cooling will one day accidentally cool my motherboard and processor.   LOL 🥶 

image.png.35a4efa07d2c511de233188d50e2bc06.png

38 minutes ago, jesse g said:

I have a fear that liquid cooling will one day accidentally cool my motherboard and processor.   LOL 🥶 

I get the fear... but the odds are greatly against a leak.

FWIW, I've used scores and scores of AIO water-coolers.

Out of all of those, one leaked (caught it before install so it wasn't an issue).

Edited by Jim Roseberry

3 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

I get the fear... but the odds are greatly against a leak.

FWIW, I've used scores and scores of AIO water-coolers.

Out of all of those, one leaked (caught it before install so it wasn't an issue).

Is this what you mean by a water cooler?  Or is it those that run with a radiator and fans?

19 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Is this what you mean by a water cooler?  Or is it those that run with a radiator and fans?

Typical AIO (all-in-one) water-coolers are closed-loop (no maintenance).

The water is circulated thru the radiator via a small pump (similar to how an auto engine is cooled).

Custom Loop water-cooling is beyond what most folks want to deal with (both construction and maintenance).

Distilled water doesn't conduct electricity.

At trade shows, you'll sometimes see an electric device fully submerged in distilled water... running as normal.

6 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

There's also coolers like the IceGiant ProSiphon Elite.

It's sort of a hybrid between an air-cooler and water-cooler.

It uses a radiator... but relies on gravity vs using a pump.

I think PC hardware is getting beyond ridiculous for the average person.  I can't imagine trying to install something like this and how many cases would fit this.  Hopefully in a decade top hardware will become more practical. 

I'm glad I don't need muscle car performance out of a PC. 

• Like 1

That BeQuiet case looks pretty spiffy. The old curmudgeon in my eschews that level of LED bling for a studio PC, but I have to admit that when I watch Mike Creative Sauce's videos, his system looks pretty sharp with the lighted fans.

In my recent experiences of building up a couple of PC's from spares and donated parts (one of which was a very nice Noctua tower cooler, similar to the BeQuiet), I found out that the typical classic mini tower form factor isn't wide enough for a tower cooler like that. I had to go with a mid tower.

These days, I know that there are mini-height cases that are wide enough to accommodate them, but I need a case with an externally-accessible optical drive bay, and I couldn't find one of these wider mini-towers that had an optical drive bay.

The case needs to be at least 8" wide, while the standard mini-tower is 7" wide.

In my mini-tower case, I went with a Zalman flat cooler.

On 1/28/2023 at 3:53 PM, Starship Krupa said:

That BeQuiet case looks pretty spiffy. The old curmudgeon in my eschews that level of LED bling for a studio PC, but I have to admit that when I watch Mike Creative Sauce's videos, his system looks pretty sharp with the lighted fans.

In my recent experiences of building up a couple of PC's from spares and donated parts (one of which was a very nice Noctua tower cooler, similar to the BeQuiet), I found out that the typical classic mini tower form factor isn't wide enough for a tower cooler like that. I had to go with a mid tower.

These days, I know that there are mini-height cases that are wide enough to accommodate them, but I need a case with an externally-accessible optical drive bay, and I couldn't find one of these wider mini-towers that had an optical drive bay.

The case needs to be at least 8" wide, while the standard mini-tower is 7" wide.

In my mini-tower case, I went with a Zalman flat cooler.

The 500 FX case can spaciously accommodate the Be Quiet Dark Rock 4Pro cooler.  I thought it wasn’t going to fit myself, but It went in without a problem with room left over to spare.

• Like 1

Alright I finished building  my PC after all of my supplies came in.

Case: Bequiet PURE BASE 500 FX 
Ram: CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 5200 (PC5-41600) C40 1.25V Intel XMP Memory - Black
NVMe: Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB NVMe M.2
Air Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, BK022, 250W TDP, CPU Cooler
Motherboard:  ASUS Prime Z690-P LGA 1700 (Intel 12th Gen) ATX Motherboard (PCIe 5.0, DDR5
Processor: Intel Core i9-12900K Desktop Processor 16 (8P+8E) Cores up to 5.2 GHz Unlocked LGA1700
Cable Extenders:  Asiahorse 16AWG Pro Power Supply Sleeved Cable for Power Supply Extension Cable Wire Kit
Funko POP: Funko Pop! Rocks: Run-DMC - Run Multicolor ( I just had to have a Funko POP in the case showing throught the glass window)

I had four extra drives to bring over from my previous computer.  4 SSD's full of junk!

Sooo quiet, how sweet it sounds.

See it Here

Edited by jesse g

The only things I have run on this computer are older projects to make sure every thing loads up correctly,  I had a 75 track count project with loads of plugins and it ran like a cool breeze on a 105 degree sumer day;  Nice and cool.   I like seeing the 24 threads  barely moving as I run my projects.