A George Benson Technique

bayoubill

The technique I learned by watching George Benson back in the 70's was his mastery of pentatonic  scales  over different chord types.

He used mostly the infamous Bapu  Am or as we know it the blues scale. 

Now to the technique.

Playing 2 notes on one open string then 2 notes on an other open adjacent string alternating slowly and steadily between the 2. Not a left hand in the exercise at all unless you're left handed.

This is NOT a speed exercise at all but a control exercise.

Start with the smaller strings then go to the heavier strings. 

Do this for about 3 minutes a couple or three times a day for a few months. Once it becomes easy as eating Becan then and only then speed up the process.

This is done in 3 stages

1)   Start with down stroke on the first note and an upstroke on the second then repeat on an adjacent string, alternating the 2 strings.  Do this for the first month or so

2)  Start with an upstroke on the first note  and a downstroke on the second then repeat on an adjacent string, alternating.  Do this for the next month or so

3)  Practice 1 and 2 above together on adjacent strings

Slowly increase the speed faster and faster over time

Apply the above to any 2 notes of the A Pentatonic scale at the 5th fret

Listen for it on this following video 

Edited by bayoubill
I Am a moroon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bayoubill said:

1)   Start with down stroke on the first note Do this for the first month or so

2)  Start with a down stroke on the first note. Do this for the next month or so

No wonder I can't play well...  I'm reading this as playing nothing but down strokes for at least two months... 

Doh-HeadScratchingSmiley.jpg

1 hour ago, craigb said:

No wonder I can't play well...  I'm reading this as playing nothing but down strokes for at least two months... 

Doh-HeadScratchingSmiley.jpg

1)   Start with down stroke on the first note and an upstroke on the second then repeat on an adjacent string, alternating the 2 strings.  Do this for the first month or so

2)  Start with an upstroke on the first note  and a downstroke on the second then repeat on an adjacent string, alternating.  Do this for the next month or so

3)  Practice 1 and 2 above together on adjacent strings

Slowly increase the speed faster and faster over time