Dark Side of the Moon 50 Year Anniversary Offers

cclarry

54 minutes ago, Fleer said:

You youngster

Do you know what 30 years ago means? It means that back when Michael Jackson and  Quincy Jones were riding high in 82 with Thriller, Nirvana would have been the  equivalent to Perry Como hits that were 30 years old back then.  That's scary when you think about it.

Edited by telecode 101
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

wow.. you guys are pretty old. 🙂

they had Pink Floyd Dark Side t-shirts at the Marshalls in my area about 3 or 4 months ago for $10. I almost bought one but thought maybe not good to pickup young gurls. Might make them think I am their father.

Edited by telecode 101
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

wow.. you guys are pretty old. 🙂

they had Pink Floyd Dark Side t-shirts at the Marshalls in my area about 3 or 4 months ago for $10. I almost bought one but thought maybe not good to pickup young gurls. Might make them think I am their father.

Father? More like grandfather for me. 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, abacab said:

Well if you go back 50 years before "Thriller" in '82, the Billboard #1 hit in 1932 was "Fred Astaire - Night And Day 1932 - Leo Reisman Orchestra". ;)

I've slowly been going through this:

https://www.stereogum.com/category/the-number-ones/

This guy has been writing an article about every single Number 1 for several years.  Well researched and written, and his opinions are quite funny.

• Thanks 2

On 1/19/2023 at 11:31 AM, telecode 101 said:

Hey, I use Nevermind to keep me on top of how *****ing old I really am.  😞

81tsHM4QHML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I put myself through college by selling poster printing to indie record companies and playing drums.  One of the bands I did a poster for was Nirvana, right before Nevermind, fora single they did on Touch and Go Records. The owner, who I worked directly with,  was a super nice guy.  Cobain wrote in his diary that Touch and Go was his dream record label,  but the owner passed on doing anything beyond a single. Oops. But he did discover a lot of other indie bands that were very influential. Even worse, I turned down a major signed rock band AFTER they made it... old history  (90s). 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

What??? 

A conversation on getting old??? In THIS forum?!?

"Piffle!" I say. I say again, "piffle!"

Meanwhile, the Perspective Department reports that the seminal "Sweet Dreams (are Made of This)" by the Eurythmics . . . was released closer to the end of World War II . . . than today.

• Haha 5
  • Sad 2

On 1/20/2023 at 5:05 AM, abacab said:

Well if you go back 50 years before "Thriller" in '82, the Billboard #1 hit in 1932 was "Fred Astaire - Night And Day 1932 - Leo Reisman Orchestra". ;)

It's interesting to note the name of the musical it's from, and how if someone said "Gay Divorce" today, it would sound like the topic for a daytime talk show.

"Today we're going to be talking about gay divorce and how it affects the lives...."

I do sometimes trip about these cultural timeline things. Yup, the far off year that Prince sang about 40 years ago was 1999. The year The Matrix was released, which was 22 years ago.

In 1972, when DSotM was released, Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band had only been out for 5 years, yet it seemed like the equivalent of "classic rock" at the time. They made it in the hallowed halls of EMI Abbey Road with some of the same engineers that worked with The Beatles!

I bought This is the Moody Blues in 1975 and to me (at the ripe old age of 13), that was "old" music. "Nights in White Satin" had been a hit a few years earlier as an "oldie," all of 5 years after its initial release. A greatest hits package where the earliest tracks were from 5 years previous was a career retrospective. Those guys had thrashed out 7 classic albums in 6 years, which is what you did back then, because you knew the ride would soon be over. Wait more than a year and the kids will have moved on to something else.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

It's interesting to note the name of the musical it's from, and how if someone said "Gay Divorce" today, it would sound like the topic for a daytime talk show.

"Today we're going to be talking about gay divorce and how it affects the lives...."

I do sometimes trip about these cultural timeline things. Yup, the far off year that Prince sang about 40 years ago was 1999. The year The Matrix was released, which was 22 years ago.

In 1972, when DSotM was released, Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band had only been out for 5 years, yet it seemed like the equivalent of "classic rock" at the time. They made it in the hallowed halls of EMI Abbey Road with some of the same engineers that worked with The Beatles!

I bought This is the Moody Blues in 1975 and to me (at the ripe old age of 13), that was "old" music. "Nights in White Satin" had been a hit a few years earlier as an "oldie," all of 5 years after its initial release. A greatest hits package where the earliest tracks were from 5 years previous was a career retrospective. Those guys had thrashed out 7 classic albums in 6 years, which is what you did back then, because you knew the ride would soon be over. Wait more than a year and the kids will have moved on to something else.

I remember as a kid, my parents were big ABBA fans. And as a 12 year old I was listening to the compilation albums which when you look at it were sort of being released almost in tandem with their actual albums. 1975 for greatest hits 1, 1979 for greatest hits2. and so on. Smart business movie. They were a singles band and the company kept finding different ways to keep selling the singles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABBA_discography#Compilation_albums

My age touchstone was being a teen when American Graffiti came out and thinking how funny and strange the music and the styles were back then. Then along came That 70s Show and I realized kids probably thought the same about the styles and music of my teen years. However, maybe it is just me but I don't think DSotM sounds as dated as say Bill Haley and His Comets. 

• Like 2