Prochannel Missing

parboo12

I've lost my prochannel. Anyone ever have this happen?

Actually this is the second time it's happened in the past few months. The first time I just wiped my hard disk clean and reinstalled Windows 10 and Cakewalk (on top of Sonar X3).

Now it's happened again and I hope I dont have to go through all that. Already I uninstalled  Cakewalk and reinstalled it...no go. Sonar X3 acts the same way, so it must be something Windows related. I also tried the reset plugins.

If I try to add a module Cakewalk will crash..Fatal Error mfc140u.dll

I sent a mini dump to Cakewalk techs.

Any one have any ideas or a solution?

Using Focusrite Scarlet 18i8 with an i7-8700 with 16gig. I would think its a pretty clean computer, too, I generally keep it off the internet, except for updates.

Thanks for any help.

Did you enable compression on your drive? If you did, this will be the issue.

The files within the C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities\Internal folder must be uncompressed for the ProChannel modules to show up (assuming you've installed Cakewalk to the default location).

3 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Did you enable compression on your drive? If you did, this will be the issue.

The files within the C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities\Internal folder must be uncompressed for the ProChannel modules to show up (assuming you've installed Cakewalk to the default location).

No, not knowingly, anyway. Is there a way to check?

Right click->Properties on the folder, and click the Advanced button:

image.png.ca5d6b6606bb1ae91b0692a870002a4c.png

If you're still seeing the ProChannel on other projects, and more importantly the ProChannel modules, then its more likely your project is corrupt.

If you've had to do this more than once, I'd check and/or consider replacing your drive - it may be on it's way out... HDD's usually make strange noises before failing, but SSD's give very little warning.

32 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Right click->Properties on the folder, and click the Advanced button:

image.png.ca5d6b6606bb1ae91b0692a870002a4c.png

If you're still seeing the ProChannel on other projects, and more importantly the ProChannel modules, then its more likely your project is corrupt.

If you've had to do this more than once, I'd check and/or consider replacing your drive - it may be on it's way out... HDD's usually make strange noises before failing, but SSD's give very little warning.

Thanks Mark, for all the research and advice. Your're a great help around here! 

No, I didn't think I did any drive compression, and unfortunately it's more than my project, it's affected X3 also. I'm wondering if it's a registry problem.

Any good tests you know of to see if an SSD drive is bad.?.. it's probably still under warranty.

To check your drive, right click on the drive letter, properties, then click on the Check button on the tools tab.

If that passes, then it's most likely an install issue. Get in touch with support@cakewalk.com - they will more than likely be able to help.

You most likely didn't need to do a complete clean reinstall of the OS.

A full manual uninstall of CbB (and or Sonar) would likely have sufficed.

• Use Programs And Features to Uninstall
  • Delete all associated folders

There are two locations in the Registry where software settings are retained.

• HKLM>Software>Cakewalk Music Software>Cakewalk (or Sonar)
  • HKCU>Software>Cakewalk Music Software>Cakewalk (or Sonar)

Now, reinstall CbB (or Sonar).

Edited by Jim Roseberry

Thanks for the info, Jim. I did uninstall both, re-installed just Cakewalk by BL to see if it would work...it didn't. I didn't delete the other folders it left, or look at the registry, though. Cakewalk techs suggested to uninstall and reinstall some Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables, which I did, but no luck. At that point I think I had everything so screwed up, I figured I better start over. Hope I don't have the same problem again, but if I do, you might have some questions coming your way!

Once you get your system up and running perfectly again, make priority #1 to get an image backup software program 

List of 5 best for 2019 on Windows 10: https://windowsreport.com/backup-software-windows-10/

and also an additional hard drive in your desktop (like a Winchester Digital Blue 1 TB) https://www.amazon.com/WD-Blue-1TB-Hard-Drive/dp/B0088PUEPK/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?keywords=Winchester+blue+1TB&qid=1564126621&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr2 

or an external hard drive via USB, in which to copy your image backup file of your C-Drive.  After your system is perfect, and all your upgrade patches are in place for all your programs, THEN make a complete copy of your C-drive (BEFORE you go exploring the Internet) onto your secondary hard drive.

THEN, whenever you have an issue like you are presently having, or if you accidentally get a virus or malware or ransomware, whatever, you can restore you system to perfection in minutes using the program's RESTORE feature, which looks to that 2nd drive where the image is stored and then restores from it back to your C-Drive and you are good to go again.

Usually, these backup image programs either come with a CD from which to boot when your system is corrupted, or you have to make a Restore CD from an ISO file that you must also download and make said CD.  

The point is that when you are going to restore your system, it cannot do so from within your current running Windows.  It requires booting up into a version of Windows that is on the RESTORE CD, and then you point that application to the RESTORE image (found on your secondary hard drive), and it will completely overwrite your existing C-Drive with the backup image, and your are 100% happy again.

Edited by Toddskins