Anyone now no? issues SOLVED?

Jesse Screed

Hello, I know some CH members have mentioned having them.

Had to take my focusrite 6i6 to another location.

no worries because I have the vs 100

Windows 8.1, most recent driver.

My issue is the VOLUME is BLASTING LOUD

I have to turn the playback knob all the way down to near 0, and it is still at 80+ decibels

I have never had this problem before.  I tried it on my laptop with Win 10, and the same issue.

Has anyone any suggestions.

Thanks

I really don't want to recycle it, but this is practical.

Thanks for any help

Edited by Jesse Screed

OK, I am perplexed, but I guess reality is real. 

I tried a focusrite 2i2 in place of the VS 100, and had the same reaction.  All I can think is that my ears/rooms are messing with me.

For the last month or so I have been tracking in a room that is 32 feet in diameter, yes, it is a dome, with 16 feet ceiling with a walk out basement below that is a permanent wood foundation .  I use a db meter to be consistent on my listening levels to save my ears.  I rarely listen above 80 db, and that seemed loud enough.

The room I am in now is in a block wall basement 21' x 11' x 7.5', I have quite a bite of rock wool treatment and have my listening position set up where it should be according to best practices.  Eighty decibels is BLASTING me out.

Crazy what room size will do.

Anyway, what a great learning experience.

10 hours ago, Jesse Screed said:

Hello, I know some CH members have mentioned having them.

Had to take my focusrite 6i6 to another location.

no worries because I have the vs 100

Windows 8.1, most recent driver.

My issue is the VOLUME is BLASTING LOUD

I have to turn the playback knob all the way down to near 0, and it is still at 80+ decibels

I have never had this problem before.  I tried it on my laptop with Win 10, and the same issue.

Has anyone any suggestions.

Thanks

I really don't want to recycle it, but this is practical.

Thanks for any help

Hi, 

hard to give some recoomations for an experienced user like you.

I would,ve  checked the obvious first:

1 Bit depht

2. Buffer size

3. Sample rate

4. Checking the cables and trying another usb port (usb driver ?)

5. Re- installation of the asio driver/ trying another asio driver

I hope your issues  are solved.

Edited by Pragi
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Pragi said:

Hi, 

hard to give some recoomations for an experienced user like you.

I would,ve  checked the obvious first:

1 Bit depht

2. Buffer size

3. Sample rate

4. Checking the cables and trying another usb port (usb driver ?)

5. Re- installation of the asio driver/ trying another asio driver

I hope your issues  are solved.

Experienced user😉

1. Check

2. Check

3. Check

4. Check

5. Check

Yes Pragi, I performed all those checks you recommended prior to posting.  I wouldn't have asked for ideas otherwise. I should have stated that in the original post.  I feel so silly now.  I should add that my other consideration was that a 15 year old piece of gear might have just failed in a strange way.

Edited by Jesse Screed

6 hours ago, craigb said:

I never had the issues you were, but this unit did get so hot that I was seriously afraid it was going to catch fire and so I got rid of it.

Craig, have you ever wondered that with all the gear you have tried and owned during the years that you could have opened a museum on the history of studio devices and software? 

When I think of all the money I've spent on this "past time", I wouldn't have to consider the Medicare G plan as a safety net.

5 hours ago, Jesse Screed said:

Craig, have you ever wondered that with all the gear you have tried and owned during the years that you could have opened a museum on the history of studio devices and software? 

When I think of all the money I've spent on this "past time", I wouldn't have to consider the Medicare G plan as a safety net.

Well, here's the "short" story there.

Originally, I moved to the Pacific Northwest with the goal of buying land and building a custom house with a full studio that I could lease time out to others.  Then a string of weirdness happened including my father passing (the day after I unpacked up here!🙄) which meant my Mom was all by herself (I'm an only child and she's 93 now).  Weird stuff happened where I owned four resort properties which caused me to sell them before I wanted to then, while selling the house in San Diego with my Mom in it (which cost me tens of thousands more than it should to prepare) my apartment complex decided to go condo!  Of course, out of over 200 units, my apartment had to be the first sold, so now I've got to get out quickly.  Instead of taking the time I should have, I found a nice, already built, house for me and was able to soon after find one for my Mom as well.  I put 35% down on both houses and then started some remodeling on mine.  Next up:  A big storm caused 82' of a tree to topple onto the fences for me and my neighbor!  After trying to figure out who we should contact for reparations, we discovered that we actually owned all the land beyond the fence going down a dangerous slope to a major street.  Now that we knew, we became liable for anyone who might get injured as well as for paying the initial damage (meaning tree maintenance, adding new fences and "Posted No Trespassing" signs).  Add all that to some serious code violations I discovered while remodeling and, instead of spending under $10k on the improvements, it was over $92k of my backup cash lost.

Then, while I was off working on a PhD (and, therefore, not working), the so-called Credit Crunch hit.  Lots of illegal financial dealings I ended up losing both houses, my vehicle and over $890,000!  This included my music studio gear which I had about $134k invested into.  Because one of the tricks done by the banks was to not lend to anyone for any reason, I couldn't get to any of my equity.  My primary house was appraised at $541k right before the B.S., but I could borrow anything on it even with a 811 FICO score (and having never had a late payment in my life).  I ended up selling it six times, but they all fell through because the banks weren't lending (the final time was for only $229k, a bit more than I owed!).  I now know all of this was planned so that the banks could end up with 1/3 of all residential properties cheaply which were mostly sold to rich investors ("You will own nothing and be happy!" - the chant from the World Economic Forum can be heard here!).

They say you really find out who your real friends are and what's truly important once you've lost everything and this was definitely true!  So I basically was forced to sell almost all my gear at pennies on the dollar.  If I got 10%-13% of what something was worth I was lucky.  From then on it's just been a matter of trying to recover and survive!

And now you know! 

• Like 1