Attention for PA dearVR Monitor Users !!

Frank

From dearVR page:

https://www.dear-reality.com/products/dearvr-monitor

Dear Reality dearVR MONITOR – No longer available at Plugin Alliance

From January 17, dearVR MONITOR won’t be part of the Plugin Alliance’s MEGA Bundle subscription anymore. Active MEGA XL and XXL bundle subscribers will receive a full license of the last V1.11.0 dearVR MONITOR legacy installer through PA to be able to open existing sessions. Customers who purchased a perpetual license of dearVR MONITOR at Dear Reality or at Plugin Alliance before January 17, 2023 can transfer their license for free. Please visit https://www.dear-reality.com/pages/license-upgrade and request the latest V1.13 version and any future updates.

Edited by Frank
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Frank said:

From dearVR page:

https://www.dear-reality.com/products/dearvr-monitor

Dear Reality dearVR MONITOR – No longer available at Plugin Alliance

From January 17, dearVR MONITOR won’t be part of the Plugin Alliance’s MEGA Bundle subscription anymore. Active MEGA XL and XXL bundle subscribers will receive a full license of the last V1.11.0 dearVR MONITOR legacy installer through PA to be able to open existing sessions. Customers who purchased a perpetual license of dearVR MONITOR at Dear Reality or at Plugin Alliance before January 17, 2023 can transfer their license for free. Please visit https://www.dear-reality.com/pages/license-upgrade and request the latest V1.13 version and any future updates.

sounds like an angry decision

• Like 2

you need to install their 'licence manager' too.

Will this overwrite the PA plugin or load DAW projects that have the PA version installed ?

will you get the same number of activations that PA allow ?

29 minutes ago, MusicMan said:

I wonder if the same will apply to their other products from PA as well.

none of the other products mention anything about it ?

59 minutes ago, Lionel said:

Weird that PA hasn’t sent a notification email about this (at least, not to me)

same here - seem to be keeping it a bit quiet.

2 hours ago, Niky Serrano said:

sounds like an angry decision

yes - and it's noticeable that you need to provide your own proof of purchase to transfer - PA obviously aren't willing to help by posting people a transfer code direct.

a bit of a mess IMO

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, simon said:

you need to install their 'licence manager' too.

Will this overwrite the PA plugin or load DAW projects that have the PA version installed ?

will you get the same number of activations that PA allow ?

none of the other products mention anything about it ?

same here - seem to be keeping it a bit quiet.

yes - and it's noticeable that you need to provide your own proof of purchase to transfer - PA obviously aren't willing to help by posting people a transfer code direct.

a bit of a mess IMO

Hopefully someone brave enough will be able to get our answers.

News also seems not well thought out on the DearVR side as well since they sitll have multiple pages pointing to "plugin alliance" being the store to go to.

Now that DearVR Monitor is for sale at Plugin Boutique, I figured something was changing.  

reporting back

the DearVR version overwrites the PA version (on windows/vst3 at least) - means that old projects should load with this version.

There doesn't seem to be a licence manager - it's a serial you put into the plugin which authenticates over the internet (dunno how this works if offline ?)

still not sure how many authorisations you get ?

28 minutes ago, Frank said:

What about the other dearVR products?

shrug ?

I think we need more detail on the new license manager.  

Will it allow 3 USB sticks?  Combo of USB and Computer?  All at the same time?  Is there an offline authorization process? 

I'm weary of companies that charge what they do and not spell out these important details.  If it is as many devices as you personally own without restrictions then great, but I'd want it in writing before switching.

This update doesn't apply to me as I'm not an M1 user nor do I use $800+ headphones that are included in the update.

42 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

Will it allow 3 USB sticks?  Combo of USB and Computer?  All at the same time?  Is there an offline authorization process? 

I'm weary of companies that charge what they do and not spell out these important details.  If it is as many devices as you personally own without restrictions then great, but I'd want it in writing before switching.

This update doesn't apply to me as I'm not an M1 user nor do I use $800+ headphones that are included in the update.

I was considering transferring over right away, but after reading about the new licenses I think I'll hang back for a little bit and see how it goes for those first groups of users and listen for any feedback.

I don't necessarily think there's anything nefarious, or bad, I think they are just looking at not being exclusive to PA, so having their own licensing makes sense as they can sell through PiB, etc too.

7 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

as per my reply earlier - there doesn't seem to be one.  It's a simple serial number

I don't know how many authorisations you're allowed.

6 hours ago, MusicMan said:

I'll hang back for a little bit

It doesn't remove the licence from your PA account - so I assume it would be simple enough to reinstall that version if you wanted to.

I can't see a reason not to get the licence, even if you don't use it immediately.

EDIT

FWIW I emailed support to find answers to some of the other questions - I'll report back if I get a reply

Edited by simon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, simon said:

as per my reply earlier - there doesn't seem to be one.  It's a simple serial number

I don't know how many authorisations you're allowed.

It doesn't remove the licence from your PA account - so I assume it would be simple enough to reinstall that version if you wanted to.

I can't see a reason not to get the licence, even if you don't use it immediately.

I had wondered whether they may send a list to PA once successfully converted and then it deactivated or something. I did like seeing your earlier comment about serial too. I would be interested to hear how many seats it offers.

It's not sounding like too bad a thing really and if anything it's likely to mean faster updates than with PA 🤭

7 minutes ago, MusicMan said:

I had wondered whether they may send a list to PA once successfully converted and then it deactivated or something. I did like seeing your earlier comment about serial too. I would be interested to hear how many seats it offers.

It's not sounding like too bad a thing really and if anything it's likely to mean faster updates than with PA 🤭

I don't think they will email PA with a list - they can't be sure what my PA email address is, for example.

The serial definitely seemed to do a 'phone home' when it activated so it's possible they could limit the number of activations  - I asked the question so let's see.  

There is no background 'activation manager' running.

Having said that I see no specific reason to actually upgrade - although it's possible there are some fixes that aren't documented.  

The only negative (in my view) is yet another online account you need to open - and another vendor to check for updates etc...although PA aren't good at notifying when updates occur so might actually be better ?

Edited by simon
  • Like 1

just looping back on this as I've just heard from support:

- you get 2 activations

- the activation is 'online'  (it's not clear to me how this would work on an 'offline' machine_

- DearVR PRO/MUSIC are staying at PA (they weren't specific if that was 'forever' or just for now)

- The plugin loads old setting (as we know) - so 100% compatible with existing projects.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

11 hours ago, simon said:

just looping back on this as I've just heard from support:

- you get 2 activations

- the activation is 'online'  (it's not clear to me how this would work on an 'offline' machine_

- DearVR PRO/MUSIC are staying at PA (they weren't specific if that was 'forever' or just for now)

- The plugin loads old setting (as we know) - so 100% compatible with existing projects.

So you lose one since PA is 3.

• Sad 1