Initial Setup Using Focusrite Scarlett 4i4

Ben Shemuel

Question

Hello forum friends,

I'm a first-time Cakewalk user attempting to use the software to overdub parts as part of a distance-dispersed multitrack project. I've got a computer running Win 10, a Focusrite Scarlett 4i4, and some instruments connected to the interface's inputs 3 and 4 via a mixer.

During installation, CakewalkSetup displays an Audio Driver Error dialog and tells me that "the following driver does not support the current audio format or are in use by another application" and lists "Speakers (Focusrite Usb Audio) as the offending driver. I have the choice of disabling the driver or using it anyway. The dialog suggests visiting www.cakewalk.com/support/hardwaresetup/, but that page doesn't refer to Cakewalk.

How do I get Cakewalk and the Scarlett 4i4 working with each other?

Thanks,
Ben

3 answers to this question

It looks like you're not using the Focusrite ASIO drivers, and you're using WASAPI or WDM instead.

With Cakewalk closed, make sure you have the ASIO drivers installed first (found HERE), then restart.

Then, once Cakewalk is open, go to Preferences > Audio > Playback and Recording, and choose ASIO as the Driver Mode. Press Apply. This should automatically change the related settings in preferences, but to check, go to Audio > Driver Settings, and make sure it lists Focusrite USB ASIO in the Playback and Recording Timing Master dropdowns.

If, after all of that, you're still getting an error, something else on your system has taken control of your driver and is throwing the error. Chrome is a big culprit here, and any other things like OBS and other recording packages.