In a project and whenever I choose anything other than "Comping" on recording mode, CBB exits to Windows...

james rector

Further to Glenn's advice above with Exception Handling Severity generating a dump you can send in to Support, I'm wondering what audio interface you're using and what driver model you're on (ASIO, WASAPI, etc.). It's possible you have some flaky driver doing strange things, or alternatively there might be some Windows system libraries that are mismatched or damaged too. Cakewalk is pretty solid for most of us, so this is definitely out of the ordinary!

And yes, good advice for troubleshooting just above too - if that doesn't crash, something wacky is definitely up, so getting a crash dump will help considerably.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies everyone, unfortunately not too long after I posted this I had the CPU die on me (7950X) so that the newest PC build of mine is currently dead for the time being until it is repaired / restored.  After which point I will get back on this problem.

Either way the interface is a Focusrite 2i2 USB using the latest drivers.

2 hours ago, james rector said:

Thanks for the replies everyone, unfortunately not too long after I posted this I had the CPU die on me (7950X) so that the newest PC build of mine is currently dead for the time being until it is repaired / restored.  After which point I will get back on this problem.

Either way the interface is a Focusrite 2i2 USB using the latest drivers.

Ouch - sorry to hear that.

Yes, that would explain it.  If the CPU is damaged or starved of power, it can cause crashes.

I actually had a similar issue, where my CPU would freeze after an hour or so of heavy network traffic (e.g. getting the latest NI Komplete, or copying files). Very frustrating.  It turned out that the default CPU voltage setting in the BIOS was just slightly too low.  It took me about 4 years to work this out.