Please make VST3 (and Sonitus, etc.) Presets available in plug-in dropdown menu

Sal Sorice

There is a long thread over at Cakewalk by Bandlab - Creative Sauce Group where we discuss how the (proprietary?) "Preset" dropdown menu in Cakewalk (the one on the upper left of the window) does not show any presets - you have to click on the "Presets" button to find and load one. To make things worse, once you do load one, there is no indication of the Preset you just loaded! 

This example shows Sonitus but it also happens in Brainworx plugins (and likely many others)? Feel free to load one up and test/see for yourself.

image.thumb.png.335c744a46ef634121443e319f422ecb.png

Here is the thread:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/creativesaucecakewalk/posts/6015534545177705/?comment_id=6017439164987243&reply_comment_id=6019188754812284&notif_id=1673906687627792&notif_t=group_comment_mention

I also found a discussion about it on this Forum as well:
Make VST3 Presets available from the Presets menu

I vote that this should be (ideally) addressed in an upcoming (the next :^) release.

Alternatively, if possible, perhaps Cakewalk programmers can make available a utility to convert VST Preset files/formats (or the Sonitus INI files/formats) into the Cakewalk SPP format so they could be exported/imported easily and appear in the native Preset drop-down. I'm not a programmer, so my apologies if this type of utility would be difficult/impossible to make.

I'm new to working with plugins/presets, etc. so if I'm overlooking something obvious or there is a known solution I've not yet found please let me know!

• Like 1

No, you're not missing anything. The only way to load VST3 presets at this time is via the VST3 menu.

The only way to get them into Cakewalk's internal preset manager is either manually or with something like AutoHotKey.

IMO, it's fine for the Sonitus FX, because they have their own preset managers, but if you have a lot of brainworx (and their sub brands) plug-ins, it's a pain.

• Great Idea 1

I see this on some plugins, but for the most part Sonitus (non VST3) is working here. The top Preset button mirrors the Sonitus Presets button lists. Even the Previous/Next buttons work.

BTW, I can't follow your 1st link as I don't do FB.

Thanks Starship Krupa and sjoens for the helpful comments!

I can live with inserting VST3 Presets via the VST3 menu - not a big deal. The problem with that approach is that when you insert the plugin, there is no way (I know of) to tell what plugin is loaded. Or is there?

sjoens, I don't see the Presets on my system for Sonitus (as my screenshots above show). Did you have to do something to get them to appear? Did you load/save them manually?

Again - this is a learning curve for me, so forgive me if I'm not understanding these concepts yet...

Edited by Sal Sorice
added content
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sal Sorice said:

there is no way ... to tell what plugin  preset is loaded.

this^^

i am but one of many in favor of addressing this and have taken to using devs that manage it within their VSTs.

It should be possible as other DAWs do this, with some listing the presets in the same browser which is a nice plus for productivity.

Edited by jackson white
clarification
  • Like 1

Not sure why it works here but might be because I have older Sonar versions installed for their plugins which may have a more complete installation than the current offerings.

Here's some previously recorded conversations:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Plugin-Presets-Folder-m3791208.aspx

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Where-do-the-Sonitus-presets-usually-live-m3248116.aspx 

Yes sjoens, it appears that the newer installs don't load the Presets. Seems that if you have an older version of Sonar, etc. then install Cakewalk by Bandlab, the presets will show up.

There was a lot of great work done over at the "Cakewalk by Bandlab - Creative Sauce Group" to get all the Sonitus Presets back (one simple SPP file that contains ALL the Sonitus presets!). And a bunch of folks did manual work to get a lot of the Brainworx Presets to show up. Many thanks to Mi Mo over at that group - he did most of the heavy lifting and is a genius!

If it would help, I'll ask the group there if it would be OK to post the files here. If so, any suggestions on where best to post them would be welcomed - I think they would help a lot of folks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sal Sorice said:

If it would help, I'll ask the group there if it would be OK to post the files here. If so, any suggestions on where best to post them would be welcomed - I think they would help a lot of folks.

You should probably post them at the "Content" section (https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/forum/38-content/), though I'm not sure which sub categories; it seems that the "ProChannel Presets" and the "Track & Project Templates" are best options for Sonitus / VSTs Presets posting unless Cakewalk staff members plan to add a dedicated sub category for those type of contents.

Edited by SketalDaz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sal Sorice said:

Cross-posting files from the other forum is discouraged so I'll not be able to do so. Feel free to visit the "Cakewalk by Bandlab - Creative Sauce Group" - some great content over there! [Emphasis added]

It is a private group and is not available to people who don't have a Facebook account, 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sal Sorice said:

Cross-posting files from the other forum is discouraged so I'll not be able to do so. Feel free to visit the "Cakewalk by Bandlab - Creative Sauce Group" - some great content over there!

Thank you for the mentioning!
Since this seems to be an issue for plenty of users, I've followed the idea above and uploaded it to the mentioned file section of this forum.

By the way, besides that *.spp file, I've also created one for the following Plugin Alliance software:

---snip---

Ampeg SVTVR Classic
Ampeg SVTVR
Black Box Analog Design HG-2
bx_cleansweep V2
bx_console AMEK 9099
bx_console Focusrite SC
bx_console N
bx_console SSL 4000 E
bx_console SSL 4000 G
bx_delay2500
bx_digital V3 mix
bx_digital V3
bx_masterdesk True Peak
bx_rooMS
bx_solo
bx_subfilter
bx_subsynth
bx_townhouse Buss Compressor
elysia niveau filter
Shadow Hills Class A Mastering Comp
Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor
SPL Attacker Plus
SPL Attacker
SPL De-Verb Plus
SPL Free Ranger
SPL IRON
SPL Transient Designer Plus
SPL TwinTube
SPL Vitalizer MK2-T
Vertigo VSM-3

---snip---

I will share that as well IF there should be demand for it.

Cheers,

Mimo

Edited by MimoJP
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have 33 PA plugs and learned from MiMo, so I have the presets - .spp files loaded and can create/import/export them, which I'm quite pleased with (not being that much of a PC type). 

I have 3 PA plugs that I'm hung up on.

Noveltec Vocal Enhancer; can load a preset from the VST3 pull down, but not save to CW

bx_oberhausen; I can see the presets but not load one of the 351 Factory VST3 ones (hence I can't save either)

Double MS: doesn't even show up,  though I installed (again)

I mostly care about the oberhausen presets. Instead of having VST3 preset extensions, it has .papreset and I always get "Invalid File" 

Also, because of my lack of knowledge, the PA preset bundle download comes with Internal and External folders. I am not sure what that means. I'd like to assume it's the difference between the VST3 pull down and the Cakewalk Save-able one, but would rather find out.

Thanks 

Edited by Michael Parson-McNamara
  • Like 1