Arturia-MiniFreak V available to all users

Carlos  Iglesias

On 1/17/2023 at 3:43 PM, Nick Blanc said:

According to Musicradar.com "It’s also currently being given away for free to anyone who buys V Collection 9." I can't find this anywhere on the Arturia website. As an owner of V9 I think that would be weird. A new customer would buy the same product as me, but not really

My upgrade to V collection 9 is $149, the price of MiniFreak bundled with the V Collection 9 upgrade is also $149

Didn't they do something similar with V collection 8 and S80V? To encourage sales mid-cycle, they add to Collection purchases one of the new synths that will be in the next version.

51 minutes ago, Eusebio Rufian-Zilbermann said:

My upgrade to V collection 9 is $149, the price of MiniFreak bundled with the V Collection 9 upgrade is also $149

Didn't they do something similar with V collection 8 and S80V? To encourage sales mid-cycle, they add to Collection purchases one of the new synths that will be in the next version.

The upgrade from V8 to V9 on release was $99. People who did that do now get MiniFreak for $49. People who are still on V8 get the upgrade to V9 + MiniFreak for $149 right now. I'm assuming the upgrade to V10 will be $199 from V8 and $99 from V9, so if you upgrade/get MiniFreak early now, you're paying a little "early adopter" fee. Seems fair to me.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Update: My Special Offers now includes the MiniFreak V for the same $189.  So its now $798 $189.   

1 hour ago, Eusebio Rufian-Zilbermann said:

Didn't they do something similar with V collection 8 and S80V? To encourage sales mid-cycle, they add to Collection purchases one of the new synths that will be in the next version. [emphasis added]

This ^^^^ helps explain what I was wondering about when I stumbled onto the change to my Special Offer.  With tips like this, I am starting to learn about the arturia's marketing MO.  Thanks! 

25 minutes ago, Jan Schmitz said:

The upgrade from V8 to V9 on release was $99. People who did that do now get MiniFreak for $49. People who are still on V8 get the upgrade to V9 + MiniFreak for $149 right now. I'm assuming the upgrade to V10 will be $199 from V8 and $99 from V9, so if you upgrade/get MiniFreak early now, you're paying a little "early adopter" fee. Seems fair to me.

This ^^^^ helps, too, both in terms of understanding their marketing MO and in my financial planning.

Pigments is new to me so I have been going through more tutorials and manual reading.  It seems quite flexible -- enough to keep me busy developing a deep understanding of how to design sounds for my own use for a while. 

Edited by User 905133
to add a thanks for Jan Schmitz's insights
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Promidi said:

I think it depends on what graphics card one has and how the Pigments patches are programmed.

I have noticed with some synths such as Pigments, with heavy CPU and graphics demands, that they are making use of my Nvidia GPU. So I expect that performance may vary based on one's hardware setup.

If a synth is programmed to make use of a GPU for the graphics processing that is a load that the CPU doesn't have to deal with.

Note: In many cases I have observed that closing the synth's GUI while playing reduces the overall load. All that eye candy needs to be processed somewhere! ;)

Edited by abacab

3 hours ago, abacab said:

Note: In many cases I have observed that closing the synth's GUI while playing reduces the overall load. All that eye candy needs to be processed somewhere! ;)

.....  and I would rather that be done on the GPU - leaving the CPU with more of the audio stuff..

• Like 1

When purchasing V Collection 9+MiniFreak V (Free):

Does anyone happen to know it gets you two separete licenses (one, for V Collection 9, one for MiniFreak V)

Is this free MiniFreak V a NFR license or somehow tied to V Collection?

Edited by alacantec
grammar

25 minutes ago, alacantec said:

Is this free MiniFreak V a NFR license or somehow tied to V Collection?

I'm going to guess that it's probably tied to the bundle. Just basing that opinion on the fact that the instruments in my V Collection 9 are all tied to one serial number, so cannot sell the bundled instruments separately.

Even my crossgrade license is tied to the underlying product (in this case V Collection 8), which cannot be sold separately. So for me it's all or none. Of course all of the products that I acquired separately, e.g., Pigments and a few FX, each have their own licenses.

You could always contact Arturia customer support for a direct answer.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RSMcGuitar said:

In my account it is listed separately and doesn't say "Cannot be sold separately."
I do have something else in my account that does say that (FX2 Cross-grade)

It can be sold imho when i bot v collection 7 i got the Obx with it , itdidn't worked on my system , sold it to get back some dineros , i suspedct this is exactly the same ...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Promidi said:

I think it depends on what graphics card one has and how the Pigments patches are programmed.

I have a Pigments patch hat uses the sampler engine (with granular active) and the analogue engine (3 oscillators active), and random modulation of the granular engine’s start time.  I have that running through Pigments multi mode filter and the format filter.  The filter’s is also modulated. 

The task manager CPU hovers around 10% when playing a 4 or 5 node chord in Pigments standalone.

This is on a PC configured as per my signature.

Go instudio one , asio meter and check homie , my computer *CPU is chilling , but ASIo operation is stupid ....

I have an i7 4790s  : 8 threads at  3.6 ghz , not a best but not obsolete either ... and i have other stuff to compare !! even diva is way less hungry 

using the built in GPU HD 4600 , maybe the don't test it on pro workstation that want to go silent ;) lol 

I broke my oath of skipping Arturia releases.

In V8 they caught me with the SQ-80V. But that one I was patiently waiting since V Collection 5.

This time they got me with this MiniFreak V. And this one I wasn't even wanting when there was the HW restriction.

But ITB it's cheaper and don't consume studio real estate. And after looking closely it's a really good synth.

More or less the same for the latest Korg Natives (Opsix, Wavestate and ModWave). I'll get them some day for the right price.

Well... I lost a battle but I haven't lost the war yet. Let me think about the next synth that Arturia could include to caught me off guard in the next collection...

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Sergio said:

I broke my oath of skipping Arturia releases.

In V8 they caught me with the SQ-80V. But that one I was patiently waiting since V Collection 5.

This time they got me with this MiniFreak V. And this one I wasn't even wanting when there was the HW restriction.

But ITB it's cheaper and don't consume studio real estate. And after looking closely it's a really good synth.

More or less the same for the latest Korg Natives (Opsix, Wavestate and ModWave). I'll get them some day for the right price.

Well... I lost a battle but I haven't lost the war yet. Let me think about the next synth that Arturia could include to caught me off guard in the next collection...

Ahaha ...here my cpu decides for me ...but the day i upgrade hw ... it s gonna be tuff lol ...

Anyway solid bundle and this synth is great , mor3 îviting imho than pigments , but i miss the fx section of pigments ...

i do think pigments is slowly falling in what omnisphere did , trying to do everything at the exepense of user experience , freak is imho benefiting from limitation the hw imposedc, healthy ...

Edited by Zo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Zo said:

Ahaha ...here my cpu decides for me ...but the day i upgrade hw ... it s gonna be tuff lol ...

Anyway solid bundle and this synth is great , mor3 îviting imho than pigments , but i miss the fx section of pigments ...

i do think pigments is slowly falling in what omnisphere did , trying to do everything at the exepense of user experience , freak is imho benefiting from limitation the hw imposedc, healthy ...

I'm currently taking courage to dismantle my main computer and upgrade it with a new motherboard, CPU, audio interfaces, etc. I already have all the parts but I hate dealing with computer HW. In the end I'll have an i9-10900K system with 64GB of DDR4 RAM and a couple of RME cards. Powerful enough for all the latest audio tools I hope.

There are pros and cons regarding  the approach of putting everything in one single tool for sound synthesis. I like having this approach in a modular environment, where you can effectively combine everything the way you like. Otherwise I always have the impression that  you are loosing something, as the tool have more capabilities than you can use at one time.

And I agree Zo; most of the time limitations are a good thing to  boost creativity.

3 minutes ago, Sergio said:

I'm currently taking courage to dismantle my main computer and upgrade it with a new motherboard, CPU, audio interfaces, etc. I already have all the parts but I hate dealing with computer HW. In the end I'll have an i9-10900K system with 64GB of DDR4 RAM and a couple of RME cards. Powerful enough for all the latest audio tools I hope.

There are pros and cons regarding  the approach of putting everything in one single tool for sound synthesis. I like having this approach in a modular environment, where you can effectively combine everything the way you like. Otherwise I always have the impression that  you are loosing something, as the tool have more capabilities than you can use at one time.

And I agree Zo; most of the time limitations are a good thing to  boost creativity.

Same here my problem is finding a mother baord that has low profile not those tuning heat sink all the way ...(long story short because i have a passive system and pipes passes by sides from cpu) 

Limitations are a part of natural rules , physiques is a limitations , religion, morales , ect ...no limitation : alienation ...cancer.

This apply to eveything , balance is keyb, restreint and self control also ...

In a word of consumerism and control , the push is big to embrace this heresy that you have to fallow your passion ...exzctly because it leads to a state of dependance ... to your passion and those who fullfill it ;) 

What s funny ( no so ) is that those who created and promoted this concept now are making everrything to create limitations lol but to their benefit ....perfect proof of error ...error generate error , truth and right path generate « pairainity » and positives impactes systematicaly ...

Humain being imperfect , humility is key .... but instead ...we have Davos ... 

• Like 1