Arturia-MiniFreak V available to all users

Carlos  Iglesias

9 minutes ago, Jan Schmitz said:

I'll wait for V10 including this and 3-4 other new/upgraded synths for $99 instead.

I have everything Arturia and this is 49 euro for me  - which just slips over the 'no -brainer' bar - so I'm waiting too 

• Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, simon said:

I have everything Arturia and this is 49 euro for me  - which just slips over the 'no -brainer' bar - so I'm waiting too 

Me too. I'm also a bit disappointed because I own a Microfreak and this takes a bit of its 'shine' away. Ah well. Risk of the trade I guess.

According to Musicradar.com "It’s also currently being given away for free to anyone who buys V Collection 9." I can't find this anywhere on the Arturia website. As an owner of V9 I think that would be weird. A new customer would buy the same product as me, but not really?

BTW if anyone doesn't know, this utilises open source code from Mutable Instruments eurorack modules. VCV Rack also has versions of the Mutable Instruments modules. Mutable Instruments shut down in December 2022. 

The founder of Mutable Instruments, Emilie Gillet, didn't receive any money from Arturia or have any involvement in the product development. There was no wrongdoing involved. It's just an interesting situation and I guess inevitable when you contribute open source code with a Creative Commons CC-BY-SA license. I think about writing a book under a creative commons license occasionally but I am not quite ready for that level of giving yet... haha. Bravo to Emilie Gillet for her generosity. 

I read that sales of Softube's Mutable Instruments clone modules results in money being paid to Emilie, which seems like a fairer model to me, but then I struggle to be willing to pay Softube's prices! What a conundrum. 

I look buying to buying Volume 6 and then these Mutable Instruments modules one of these days. But I'll also end up with Minifreak V in the next V Collection upgrade. Gotta catch 'em all! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Craig N said:

BTW if anyone doesn't know, this utilises open source code from Mutable Instruments eurorack modules. VCV Rack also has versions of the Mutable Instruments modules. Mutable Instruments shut down in December 2022. 

The founder of Mutable Instruments, Emilie Gillet, didn't receive any money from Arturia or have any involvement in the product development. There was no wrongdoing involved. It's just an interesting situation and I guess inevitable when you contribute open source code with a Creative Commons CC-BY-SA license. I think about writing a book under a creative commons license occasionally but I am not quite ready for that level of giving yet... haha. Bravo to Emilie Gillet for her generosity. 

I read that sales of Softube's Mutable Instruments clone modules results in money being paid to Emilie, which seems like a fairer model to me, but then I struggle to be willing to pay Softube's prices! What a conundrum. 

I look buying to buying Volume 6 and then these Mutable Instruments modules one of these days. But I'll also end up with Minifreak V in the next V Collection upgrade. Gotta catch 'em all! 

Thanks for the information

These are the risks of Creative Commons CC-BY-SA licenses

I was thinking to publish a software I did a couple of years ago or sell it. 

I am currently working on its upgrade and I have decided to sell it because is taking a lot of time and If I share it as free with a model to pay if you want, I know that the people won't pay anything

This is that is killing some open source initiatives in my opinion

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Niky Serrano said:

These are the risks of Creative Commons CC-BY-SA licenses

You get other Open Source licenses too, though they all pretty much mean you give away your product. That said, there are lots to choose from ranging from GPL3 which mandates that any derivative product must also be licensed as GPL3, all the way to MIT which is pretty much 'do as you will'.

On 1/17/2023 at 11:00 PM, User 905133 said:

$99 $69 for the MiniFreak V.

$599 was from the products page (yes, I was logged in), but this page (the overview page) has $599 $189.

Update: My Special Offers now includes the MiniFreak V for the same $189.  So its now $798 $189.   Not sure I need / can afford this; not sure if the successor to V Collection 9  will be even better (and might include sets of 10 Sound Banks, non-vintage emulations, new / original instruments, how arturia's marketing promotions work, etc.).

Updating this for 2 reasons: (1) to let others who were sitting on the fence know in case they want to see if their offers have also gotten better (more alluring) and (2) to ask for insights / thoughts on this revised deal. 

The Minifreak hardware synth is $599. The Minifreak V software version is being marketed at $99, as an introductory price off the full retail $199, but your special deal may be lower.

My special price is $49.

https://www.soundonsound.com/news/arturia-release-minifreak-v

"Arturia have announced that the software version of their recently released MiniFreak synthesizer is now available as a standalone virtual instrument plug-in, having previously been bundled exclusively with the hardware instrument.

MiniFreak V is described by the company as a mirror-image of the hardware, offering the same dual synthesis engine, a modelled analogue filter, and stereo effects, all of which combine to deliver a sound that Arturia say is indistinguishable from the instrument itself."

Cpu hungry , i noticed for pigments that whe gui closed i gain 30 % of cpu hit , arturia really need to optimise its graphical engine ... yeah its beatyfull but come on ...

sometime you have only one osc and its violent , no fx in pigment ... in this one polyphony is less and it seems less hungry but still to much for what i hear ...hence i jumped on hive witch is even more impressive than repro ...

Edited by Zo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zo said:

Cpu hungry , i noticed for pigments that whe gui closed i gain 30 % of cpu hit , arturia really need to optimise its graphical engine ... yeah its beatyfull but come on

I think it depends on what graphics card one has and how the Pigments patches are programmed.

I have a Pigments patch hat uses the sampler engine (with granular active) and the analogue engine (3 oscillators active), and random modulation of the granular engine’s start time.  I have that running through Pigments multi mode filter and the format filter.  The filter’s is also modulated. 

The task manager CPU hovers around 10% when playing a 4 or 5 node chord in Pigments standalone.

This is on a PC configured as per my signature.